Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need Help with PC -> TV picture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my new TV supports VGA and can be used as a Monitor:)

Everything is great but one thing. The only resolution i can use is 800x600 with it otherwise the TV says the picture is out of range.

Is there a way to watch PC's monitor with 1280x1024 pixels?

Also yeah i tried every other resolution option. Only 800x600 works.

Or the problem is that VGA doesn't support higher resolutions? And i should get a HDMI cable?
VGA supports higher resolutions. However, the interface your TV uses for VGA input may not. Keep in mind most computer monitors are MUCH higher resolution than televisions (but this is far from the only factor to consider). You're better off using your computer screen (either a switchbox to the monitor, another monitor input, or run the set top box through a TV tuner card) for a television.

EDIT: Oh, and bigger isn't necessarily better. A smaller screen with the same display resolution will look crisper.

EDIT: And keep in mind 1280:1024 and 800:600 are different aspect ratios. Have you tried XGA (1024x768), 1280x960, SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

EDIT: Also, title says TV -> PC picture. What you are asking for is help with PC -> TV picture
What kind of a video card do you have in your machine.

Download the latest drivers or look on forums to see if any other one with your card has been able to make it run on higher res.

I had a similar issue with my x1650. Ended up downloading a set of unconventional drivers for my win 7 machine and now it rocks on 1920x1080. (PS. This machine of mine is primarily for video watching n stuff. not my gaming rig)
1280x768 worked...that's the maximum what my TV supports so yeah...

I'm a little dumb myself, shoulda have read the manual first;)

Thank you