Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A dev's log.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right. People have been complaining about transparancy on the part of the devs. Figured this was a good idea, simply keep a small log of what I as one of the active devs, have been up to. I'm models lead, which means any model file alterations or bugs become my responsibility. 'Though I've branched out to helping out with infocards, system design and the odd small jobs that just need doing.

Of late I've focused mainly on getting the older Homeworld imports replaced. With the help of one of our active modelers, Jinx, some new designs have been dreamed up (as of yet, the Basalt is still pending). Apart from those, the GMS ships also still need replacing. Frozen had initially used EVE imports (or close thereto) for those, and to prevent legal issues, we're trying to steer clear of those. Busy times for our balance lead, but it can't be helped.

Several other ships have also been created. A new Bretonian HF model, by popular request. A Rheinland container transport to act as a counterpart to the Liberty "battle"trans. An IMG heavy transport to complement the current small NPC piracy bait - replacing the 4100 cargo Atlas with a 2200 one makes it fairly useless for players. But those are all lower priority, and will probably not make it in before the beta's out, unless Mjol finds a wad of time somewhere.

Still on the todo list is to doublecheck a bunch of station expansions that Linkus drew up, and put those into the development master copy. I was on that yesterday when I noticed an issue of the game crashing whenever a player attempted to leave the Texas system by any means. Took me 2 hours to track the cause down - seems an LABC "weapon platform" with a light mortar was the cause. The light mortar itself was the issue, replacing it with a cruiser Cerbie sorted it. Tempting to put in a cruiser missile, but that's a friendly fire hazard. I'll have to make a note that those damned mortars aren't compatible with weapon platforms - or figure out why it was crashing in the first place... but the workaround works for me. Did prevent me from checking the rest of those base upgrades, but there's always another day.

Lots of stuff on my plate in the days ahead. The mining mod needs a retune due to the new commodities and field changes. Gas mining "asteroid" areas need to be implemented in the Sigmas - using floaty gas wisps for those might not be a bad idea.
Thank you for your time informing us about your work.

Knowing what the developers are up to, even with few details, it's nice and interesting.
Nice, thanks for the update. For this asteroid field gas mining idea. Can I ask that the team takes care in selecting the area for these asteroid fields so as not to destroy the atmosphere of the sigma clouds. Basicaly away from areas travelled.
Thanks for this insight. I think it'll ease tensions,if the devs do stuff like thos once,in,awhile.
Very very good idea.
Nice to have an idea of the grinding going on behind the scenes.
Quote:Of late I've focused mainly on getting the older Homeworld imports replaced.
[color=#FF0000]GOD BLESS YOU!
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Finally! you made me calm down because of imports.
Whole year I had doubts about that we will be having uglies in 4.86 , and now...great! just great!
' Wrote:I'll have to make a note that those damned mortars aren't compatible with weapon platforms - or figure out why it was crashing in the first place... but the workaround works for me.

Were the mortars in Vanilla or referenced to a vanilla weapon?

It may be a shared entity resource issue.

Anyways, glad to know what's up!:)
' Wrote:Were the mortars in Vanilla or referenced to a vanilla weapon?

It may be a shared entity resource issue.

Anyways, glad to know what's up!:)
I know mortars themselves weren't in vanilla, though I don't know about the referencing.

I know the Isis mounts a light mortar properly in the current version though, but it's also a station object, rather than a weapons platform object. Might have something to do with the differences between the two.
Another day, checking into a few small matters.
A report of light fighters going 200m/s without truster - figured that wasn't the case but checked anyway. The only ship that hasty is the Camera Ship. But while checking ship impulse speeds, found what could be a glitch in the Nomad Cruiser which is listed at going 120m/s without thruster (just over 140 with). Will have to get that looked at, it looks out of place.

Anyway. Back where I left off yesterday, checking the various base expansions. Trenton looks good, although it's VERY close to the planet for a base that's grown a bit. Might have to move it 200m south (or, all Trenton components, +200 Z axis). Beaumont looks better too. Baltimore has something in dock now, which makes it look a little more lively. Freeport 14 got a minor expansion as well, and while testing that I noticed the total lack of NPCs in that system. So, a few trade freighter paths and an ambient spawn (heavy on the LR) was easily added. Should spice up that system a little and make it look less sterile. Mollies are likely going to be impressed with the new Arranmore model. Definately room for a bigger bar there now... *grin*

Planning on finishing most of this system work tomorrow, then get back to those small miner models.