Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What language?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, basically I'm wanting to learn programming (hopfully to be as a job) but I cant figure out which to start out with / where is best to learn it, so, any suggestions?

P.S. I don't care that it generally takes years to get a decent well paid job etc from programming, just want to know what to start with when planning to do it professionally.
C.

C is very similar to both Java and C++, which are very commonly used languages.
Mind you, they're different enough that knowing one doesn't mean you'll know the other without learning it first.

printf("Hello");
System.out.println("Hello);
cout << "Hello";

These all do essentially the same thing, but they aren't universal. Each one is specific to the language.
C and then C++ or C# depending how far you will go.
Almost all other common programming languages or scripts are based on C.
Right, so C it is, thanks for that, heard that quite a few were based of C or somthin.. anyway thanks.

edit: Daron you posted just before me damn you thats gone and made me sound stupid >.>
Yuck, not C!

C++ or Java are the most popular ones. C is like, infinity billion years old. Head straight for the modern stuff, it's just as easy.
' Wrote:Right, basically I'm wanting to learn programming (hopfully to be as a job) but I cant figure out which to START out with / where is best to learn it, so, any suggestions?
P.S. I don't care that it generally takes years to get a decent well paid job etc from programming, just want to know what to start with when planning to do it professionally.

Never said it would be the only one..
Learn to code FLHook.

Be a dev.
' Wrote:Learn to code FLHook.

Be a dev.

2 problems.

1. I don't know what the code language is

2. If I do become a dev ill probably get constantly pestered asking when the next one is out.. and I know a certain few people that would never let me rest asking so much.. but if I knew the language I may consider it.
If you plan to work in the software industry, knowing only one or two programming languages (even if you know them well) will not get you employed.

Programming skill is only one of the multitude of skills that qualify you as a modern software engineer or any other related jobs. I suggest you take a Computer Science course at university to learn those skills, for example such as mathematics, problem solving, logic. Otherwise, being able to program in C++ alone is not enough to work at Microsoft.

In fact, at the end of the day, knowing a programming language very well isn't uncommon - a lot of other people do. Being able to learn a new programming language quickly, though, is more impressive and attractive to your potential employers.

This was not to discourage you, I thought you may want to realise the competitiveness in the computing industry if you don't already and hopefully prepare well for your career.

Best of luck.
I've only just finished my first half term at collage, maths and physics, for this, and im planning on doing programming at uni if i get in, just wanted to know for now what would be best to learn while i wait.