Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Proposed Chester Developments (.86 and beyond)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
For several years now, Bowex has officially owned Chester as a 'guard' system. That of course gives us the right to develop it, within reason. Now, the system is currently fairly barren. It contains one planet, the Crewe Nebula and a Nomad Lair. Not all that inspired. Below, I've detailed Bowex's plans to spruce the system up and make it a more lively and interesting place to visit and explore.

Concept of Development:
The way Discovery usually works is a system remain barren until a faction buys it, then magically heavy infrastructure appears all over the place. I wish to subvert this trend by accurately depicting the exploration and chartering, then development of Chester. In this initial proposed version, I intend to add the system's natural solar features that would remain consistent throughout all later releases, as well as an 'exploration hub'.

In later versions, I'd like to add undockable bases that are under construction, which over time become fully operational. These developments would be indicated by NPC patrols, storage depots, news articles and rumours. In effect, we'd be paying a system developer to create three or four very similar versions of the same system, all of which would be submitted. The system could then be seamlessly updated over time, via the autoupdater.
Background lore:
After discovering a route to Chester from Dublin, Bowex launches a wave of surveys on the system, with the express purpose of locating and securing resources that the Kingdom of Bretonia needs. Planet Lymm is the focus of this search, as both a potential site for colonisation, and a source of mineral wealth. Alien ruins are discovered on areas of the surface, prompting Mi5 to move in and restrict access to the sites in question. The official government explanation is this was done to prevent looting, but in reality, they're attempted to limit access to potentially dangerous active artifacts. They're shipped to Sunderland Research Station in Newcastle, where the staff is attempting to reverse engineer Da'am Kovosh technology.

While chartering to the north, several Bowex ships vanish in the Crewe Nebula. Mi5 investigates, and fearing alien involvement, locks down civilian access to the Nebula. Their excuse for this is to prevent civilian navigation errors within the cloud. The hint is that Chester was once intended as a crèche system for the Nomads, due to the presence of a Hive and the ruins on Lymm's surface. Enraged at humans encroaching on another of their birthrights, the local Nomads are gearing for war.
System Information: Disclaimer:
I know this can't be included in .86's initial release - we're resigned to that and accept it. You don't need to tell us it. Should these plans be met with acceptance from the Devs (no story line conflicts, etc), we'll contact system modders and see about about bribing this concept work into a reality. We want to have the system fully created (sans economy, which we wouldn't be allowed to touch) before we officially submit it, so the devs don't have to take their time to do it for us. Mostly, we're worried that if we ask the devs to make it for us, it'll never happen. From there, we can see about getting it included in either the late betas (unlikely) or through the autoupdater some time after .86's release. Hell, we've been waiting for years already. If we have to, we can wait until .87 - it doesn't make that much difference. (Unless .87 is organised like .86, anyway...)
So, with all that out the way, what do you guys think?
This was paid for ages ago. Time to slap some major industrial complex there and have a proper Bowex headquarters and shipping facility.
Do eet.
I'd be happy to do the dev work for it.
As it technically is a guard system, anything goes. However it would be a good plan to run the proposed storyline through the dev team first.
Well then, you got a deal. :P

Want to have a chat on Skype about how it'll be implemented, etc?
Wait just a minute. You're going to allow corporate Guard systems? I thought I'd never see the day...

Time to get out some plans for Liberty.

Edit: On topic of OP, I have no comment. I'm not that familiar with the finer points of Disco Bowex.
Something that should be noted is the presence of alien ruins on the planet in chester, which were being excavated by archaeologists from the cambridge research institute, and was represented as a desert-like planet in that RP.
Could you link me to that? In any case, we both seem to have had the same idea. I wrote in alien sites on the southern hemisphere. At the moment, Planet Shirley is actually a gas giant though, so I'm not sure how there could be current RP relating to it.

And Echo, corporate systems are allowed, yeah. Bowex owns Chester, and the IND owns one too. Forgotten what it's called though. In any case, corporate NPC factions are listed as eligible to purchase systems in the system request thread.

If you want one for Ageira, you best hurry though. There's no many empty ones left.
Quote:Could you link me to that? In any case, we both seem to have had the same idea. I wrote in alien sites on the southern hemisphere. At the moment, Planet Shirley is actually a gas giant though, so I'm not sure how there could be current RP relating to it.

Probably because the RP was written ages before anyone laid claim to the system. It was not being used for anything at the time, so some artistic license was taken with the details of the location.

Quote:Kira awoke with a start at the roaring sound of freighter engines flying overhead. The cloth walls of her tent shook violently in the turbulence, and were bright-lit by the flames of the ship. She sprang up from her sleeping mat and rushed outside, waving frantically in the air and screaming at the top of her lungs as spotlights from the craft danced across her dig site. Her efforts were in vain, the ship slowly buried everything in sand kicked up from the planet surface until it found a landing spot fifty paces away.

She ran towards the ship, cursing under her breath at the stupidity of the freighter pilot. His silouhette loomed inside the ship as it's loading ramp sank to the ground, finally coming to rest on solid earth with a pronounced thud.

"You idiot! You just buried half my dig site in sand! It'll take weeks to clean up this mess!" Kira shouted, trying to talk over the roar of the now-dying ship engines. They had sent a new pilot, and he quite obviously had no manners when it came to dealing with scientists.

"Sorry Ma'am, with all the dust flyin up I couldnt find anywhere to land!" Replied the shadow, as he frantically moved to unload the freighter's cargo.

Kira growled under her breath and jumped up to assist him. Since she had started this excavation a year earlier, under personal funding, cambridge only sent one ship every three months to replenish her supplies of food, water, and power cells. They gave barely enough to last her until the next shipment, and aside from the freighters Kira had no contact at all with the outside world.

The planet she was excavating had never been charted. It was the sole celestial body in the Chester system, aside from the local sun. The planet was covered almost entirely by shifting deserts, and though it sported a life-supporting atmosphere it had been considered uninhabitable by the Bretonian government. Planetform refused to invest in the planet as well, due to it's location on the borders of bretonian space - nearing the edge of Sirius. Too many unknowns, too many potential threats to colonization efforts.

Kira had come to the planet with her own funding - money set away by her now-deceased parents. She had grown up on cambridge, taken schooling to become a scientist - archaeology in particular. Years ago, during the nomad war, she developed a fascination for the creatures and their supposed creators - the Dam K'vosh. Ever since, she had spent her family's fortunes investing in ruin excavation projects all over bretonia, finally ending up on this barren world.

Precious little had been discovered so far. They stood above an entire K'vosh city, unimaginably large, but entirely covered by the shifting dunes of the planet. Only the peaks of their ancient structures could be seen poking through the surface of the sand, but it was enough to grab Kira's interest. They had unearthed a number of ancient texts and writings so far; and though the translations were slow and tedious, Kira believed this planet to be one of the first settled by the Dam K'vosh in their day.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=16024&hl=

Eventually the story goes on to detail that the K'vosh knew the planet by the name Ver'gos.
This is cool development I really like it, add Artefacts mining there too and you will make sure that there will be traffic too. :)
: Right, thanks for that. I'll work on entwining some of your material into later system builds' rumours. Some of the details will have to be changed though - the atmosphere being one of them. Other than that, it's perfect. Out of interest, would you want that character to appear as a bar NPC later on?

: Something to do with Artifacts would be neat. Maybe make a mining zone for them in the Crewe nebula where it's nice and dangerous?

EDIT: Reading through some of that, it's scary how similar some of our ideas were. :mellow:
Pages: 1 2 3 4