Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New graphics card question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a new card.

All I need is 1GB of memory, and the recommendations are:

Recommended -Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher

The tower that this card will go in will get a new power supply, to get it above the incredibly sucky power supply that HP put in originally, which I can pick that up from work any or every day of the week. (Probably put an Antec 430 Watt supply in.)

The tower already has a 64 bit AMD Athlon II 640 Quad Core processor, 4 GB of PC3-10600 DDR RAM, and a 1TB HDD. Here's the link to the tower, which I already have (and only paid $295 for, too.)

Oh, and as for monitor - I'll probably bring it upstairs and hook it up to my 42" Samsung TV - so I don't have to worry about monitor size.

Anyway - recommendations? Thoughts? Nvidia versus ATI?

(Yeah, this is for Skyrim - I'm debating about just getting it for the 360 for now, and then later picking it up for the PC.)

Can't say anything specific for Skyrim as the game hasn't been released, you know, but for a good price/performance balance I would suggest 560 Ti.
I know it's not officially released yet.

But the system requirements are online now:

Minimum Specs
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

Recommended Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
I suppose that it's possible that my PC conceivably could run it, due to the onboard graphics, but I don't want to find out too late.

I'm not going to bother with the PC and just go straight to Xbox for Skyrim.

I always prefer the feel of it on consoles anyway. Morrowind and Oblivion both were more enjoyable on the Xbox/360 than on the PC for me, don't know why. Only drawback is lack of mods.
' Wrote:...

I would suggest 560 Ti.

Exactly the card I bought and it's awesome. Got it for about C$200 so you should be able to find it for roughly the same. Runs BF3 nicely, and if they recommend a GTX260, the GTX560 will be even better.
' Wrote:I'm not going to bother with the PC and just go straight to Xbox for Skyrim.

I always prefer the feel of it on consoles anyway. Morrowind and Oblivion both were more enjoyable on the Xbox/360 than on the PC for me, don't know why. Only drawback is lack of mods.
Yep. And from the looks of it, mods would actually decrease the wonderfullness of Skyrim. Heh.:P
Either card is good. I am using a GTS250 and it plays games fine. You might notice some screen lag from the big screen though. The crappiest PC monitor is going to play better then it... minus the epic view size.

-edit- ohh one more thing... get the card from Geeks.com. You will pay about half the price and just it in a brown box.
' Wrote:I'm not going to bother with the PC and just go straight to Xbox for Skyrim.

That's my first thing, is to get it for the Xbox. Then play the heck out of it there, and only THEN get it for the PC. I just want to be able to play it when I do get it. While I truly enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion on the 360, being able to import my favorite character from the 360 into the PC, and then take it from there, with all of the mods I installed for the PC put a whole new life into Oblivion for me.

And there were a couple of quests that I had screwed up on the 360 that I was able to reset on the PC, so I could actually finish them. (Minor details - getting Mazoga killed before I could get the Black Bow quest, and also once I was the Gray Fox, going out and killing the OLD Gray Fox because I felt tricked and cheated later on messed up getting the troops for Bruma.)
If you don't have a lot of money, go for ATI, you won't have issues with this kind of game because ATI bother to update their DX9 drivers, however never think about playing very outdated stuff or especially opengl games with an ATI card. You'll always have issues.

If you have an okay amount of money, take Nvidia. No issues, updated drivers and legacy support. However they tend to heat a little more.

for ATI : Radeon 5770 is very good for a cheap price (runs any game on high for me)
Nvidia : GTX 460 or GTX 560Ti, depends of your wallet.

The real problem with games right now is the CPU, not really much the graphic cards anymore.
I'd say a ASUS GTX 560ti

Or maybe some sort of AMD HD6870
Pages: 1 2