Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Explosive gas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was thinking that a fighter definately has better chances of survival than a Transport in explosive gas fields, since Transport is big and cannot avoid the collision. Now on the practical side of things, Transports can ignore explosive gas, since they have better shields than fighters and I think that a Transport in gas field should have a very little chance. Perhaps it would be possible to balance this? Increase gas damage to big ships or increase it overall, but then fighters would take a lot of casualties.
I hear what you're saying.

It seems a bit nutty to have my transport bump into a mine and go 'whoops', likewise for blissfully flying through pockets of explosive gas while my crew abandons stations to take pictures of the pretty lights (all useless I tell you!).

But as a ship is a ship is a ship in Freelancer, to the best of my knowledge, I dunno if said pockets could really be made all that fearsome to freighters without wtfpwning a poor fighter.

Would be handy to be able to escape a larger ship by actually *gasp* using the terrain to ones advantage though!
make the damage increased only to shields?

And to certain transport ones?

I will come up with more later:cool:
Actually, you'r wrong Simon..
Explosive gasses can be used by bigger ships as a great strategy against fighters/bombers.
He can just stand there and shoot, while fighter has to dodge and by doing so, hit a lot of gasses around.

If you increase it more, vanilla fighters with no shields would die pretty quick..
And transports would still be able to stand in there, not moving and by doing so - not hitting any gasses;)
Is it possible to increase the density and damage of the gases? So Fighter's could fit through the gaps, but if they hit a pocket they'll take tons of damage.

The gas fields would be so dense that transports couldn't go through without suffering massive damage, as the increased damage would rip them apart.

Opinions? It seems a bit harsh, but it'll give some terrain features to certain systems. Tactics based on terrain could be cool (More scanner-reduction areas, to help protect ships in fields).
And what about people with laggy connections?

I've lost ships before after flying through a gas field fine, no explosions, get out of the field, about to dock and 'boom' the explosions that I never saw or heard got me. No lag symbols either.

Won't and can't agree to this unless everyone gets non-laggy connections, sorry.
Quote:Explosive gasses can be used by bigger ships as a great strategy against fighters/bombers

It should be quite the opposite, really...

Lagg, yea, that is a problem.

But passing explosive gas field without damage, while fighters have to dodge seems just stupid for me
Actually, only HFs and LFs have to dodge.

VHFs and Bombers can fly straight through, they might have a dent or two in their shields but they won't lose them.
' Wrote:Actually, only HFs and LFs have to dodge.

VHFs and Bombers can fly straight through, they might have a dent or two in their shields but they won't lose them.

lost my eagle a good number of times from lag... i'll be flyin through the gas, no damage, then... i just die...

whereas if i wasnt lagging, my shield would have time to regen in between the blasts.
Uuuuu... Sigma 13 sure pissed me off once. Was in a bomber and pwning a GB.

"Looks like we're stuck here, pal. You won't get out of that gas and I ain't going into it"

But at any rate - I'd vote in favor of making ALL gas pockets equally strong. Especially on the shields. Some (like the oxygen pockets in tau-23) are just as weak as 1.0 - capable of killing a starflea at best.
Pages: 1 2