Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Unstable Jumpholes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had a little idea when thinking about Azrael's "system be gone" thread. I said there that I'd get rid of systems nobody uses much, and empty remote systems, because they spread the players out too much, and make interactions sparse. Which is true, but as Tenacity pointed out, it is also true that they serve some purpose in providing for RP, especially DISCOVERY RP, I.E. exploring and discovering new space, something I enjoyed as a newbie, and a main focus of this mod.

However when people have explored them, they become somewhat of a pain.

So, I had an idea, which may be a little difficult to explain properly:
What if, these remote, rarely used systems were gathered up, and instead of being linked by normal jumpholes, they were linked by unstable jumpholes, jumpholes that switched WHERE they jumped to, every server reset. So the idea is only about 10% of these systems would be available at one time, but over the course of server resets, different systems would become available, and others cut off again. (Note this would not affect normal often populated systems, just the often empty ones)

This would reduce the amount of systems available/that you have to fly through to get anywhere, at any one time, but keep the number of new ones that could be discovered by newbs, and also add some excitement to jumping into the unknown.

I'm not sure if this can be programmed, but if it could what do you think? I wasnt able to COMPLETELY explain here and I'm sure you guys can come up with improvements.

Questions?
Good idea. Also place some new wrecks with codes in those systems.
Ultima had a similar thing called moongates that cycled through the linked destinations based on time. 5 min to this one, 5 min to that one, etc

The players hated it
It's possible to create unstable wormholes without FLHook or server reset, but they are buggy and instead of setting a few specific destinations, they pop you out anywhere and everywhere for each jump you make.

There is of course, also the FLHook way to do it that simply changes the destination each restart.

However, it could cause trade imbalances and ZoI issues, so it's unlikely to happen. Plus it'd require Cannon to write more FLHook code. So it is unlikely to be implemented.
Well yknow, just something to think about.
Problem here is trade route balancing, ZOIs and of course, getting stuck in a system without an exit.

Its doable, but balancing is required. Maybe make them dead end systems with "special" wrecks and such. At least this might stop CSV wreck camping.
' Wrote:It's possible to create unstable wormholes without FLHook or server reset, but they are buggy and instead of setting a few specific destinations, they pop you out anywhere and everywhere for each jump you make.
Can they do that to just 'some' JHs? Cause that'd be awesome on like all the remote systems. Super Jump Holes that randomly place you somewhere else in Sirius. And if it's random every time it would make chases come to an interesting end...
You all are missing the bigger issue. If that system gets cut off with people inside, they will be stuck there until it reconnects. (unless you kick them for cheating and they will be returned to the last base that they docked)

Anyway, I loved the wrecks thing.
Though I would say, there shouldn't be new codes on the wrecks, put some old ones there, exspecially the good ones, so they'll be harder to get.
Or special items.
It's not a new idea, but still a good one. Though I doubt it's going to be implemented anytime soon - or that we'd even want to implement it, as it's going to be quite a mess to figure how to get this to work with trade routes, among other things.

See the threads linked above for a few earlier discussions on (somewhat) the same topic/along the same lines.
Pages: 1 2