Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mercnet Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think I saw Mercnet in the bounty board, is it back up and running? How's it working now? Is it a combination of all the bounties from the separate factions gathered into one easy to read place?
This generation is being run by Kaze/Silver Reaver/Kalliste with some folks helping. I am not one of the folks helping, though I did some of the initial paperwork setup etc.

It's a combination of what bounties folk wish to put through it. Though I don't believe it's being as heavily advertised or pushed as MercNet MK I was.
Was the name taken from Mech Warrior 2: Mercenaries?
' Wrote:Was the name taken from Mech Warrior 2: Mercenaries?

[Image: capture_13092009_000527.jpg]

I mean, no.
Well, the previews MercNet was nice to work with, i want it back up :<
Hmm I just had a look at it, and it seems quite... confusing. Only 10 hunters/companies allowed at a time? Harsh rules and standards you have to follow or get kicked out? And unfortunately it seems to only have a few contracts, not to gather all the scattered board contracs together, so it just becomes another one, cluttering up the forum.

So what's the advantage in signing on to this one, as opposed to any other factions board?

I sound rude, I'm sorry, but what I think we need, is a thread where all the bounties set on the board are gathered together by target, (like veronee's bounty roundup). So for instance you would have

All bounties on A:
*Then all the bountied factions beginning with A*

All bounites on B:

*All the bountied factions beginning with B*

And so on.

You could have the next post in the thread be for individual bounties, and other posts for other kinds of missions, yknow?

This would require (or at least be made much better with) co-operation from factions posting bounties, as it would be much easier if they told the guy running the show when they were posting a new bounty.

This would help hunters greatly, cos at the moment you get a kill, then search for where you can claim it, but to do that you have to trawl through every thread on the board, with this you could - if for instance you kill a hessian - go to this thread, go to H (or R depending on wether they were under Red Hessian) and then see-
"Ah yeah the RM have a bounty on them, and so do the corsairs".

Or this could just completely replace normal faction boards, and make it much easier and more streamlined;

Factions tell this mercnet what bounty they want.
They give mercnet the money.
Mercnet posts the bounties in the right alphabetical section, along with any prerequisites (E.G. friendly rep to the provider).
The hunter kills target.
He goes to mercnet, checks to see which bounties on that target he is eligible for, (For instance if he is a molly he may be eligible for the OC bounty on corsairs, but not the BMM one, but they are all right next to each other, easily accessible).
He then posts killshots saying which bounties on that target he is applying for.
Mercnet checks, and pays him if its all good, taking 10% for itself.

So whenever you kill someone you only have to go to one thread to check and claim, instea of loads, and you are garunteed not to miss some claims.

Doesnt that sound better than the current system?
I think you're misunderstanding MercNet's purpose. It isn't a bounty organization system, it's a bounty board itself. People pay MercNet to host their bounty, and hunters who are registered for MercNet are automatically registered for all the bounties MercNet hosts. However, there are still plenty of groups that do not use MercNet.
I know, I'm just saying what I wish we had, cos at the moment why bother registering with mercnet when there are so many other boards, that offer the same amount of bounties.
The first MercNet was epic. This one is just... using a name.
' Wrote:I think you're misunderstanding MercNet's purpose. It isn't a bounty organization system, it's a bounty board itself. People pay MercNet to host their bounty, and hunters who are registered for MercNet are automatically registered for all the bounties MercNet hosts. However, there are still plenty of groups that do not use MercNet.

MercNet is an organization system. But it only works if the posters want to use it.

They don't pay MercNet to host the bounty.

MercNet limits the number of persons enrolled in it at the present due to the massive dead weight the first system carried.

If there is an issue with MercNet right now it is solely that the number of persons using it to host bounties has diminished, in my estimation. The old MercNet I had some really generous sponsors. Daumann was a huge contributor, as were a number of other organizations.

The houses don't work with MercNet. That's to be expected.

Mining factions generally work through their houses or, in the case of the IMG, simply make sure they have deals in place to avoid being pirated (for the official faction) (while having equal bonus' to local factions which are pirated, but that's another thread I'm sure) and hold onto their boards for themselves.

All in all there's a rather robust maelstrom of the bounty system not popping like it used to, a massive reduction in the overall number of mercs out there and so on.

There's still plenty of money. There are plenty of folks to shoot. But board holders seem reluctant to have someone else do their paperwork. Which is a shame. Because MercNet is really fun to work with (I know I had a blast when I was running the first one) and now that other people are willing to reduce some of the stress associated with making sure things are happening there is a -lot- more room for ancillary activities.