Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: 3D Monitors, 120Hz refresh rate and Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone,

I've been looking around the net for a possible second monitor for my gaming rig. Oh wait...isn't that A 3rd monitor then? Damn I'm confused, someone help me out here. Ha-Ha.:)

Since I'm an avid addict of Freelancer who is hopelessly addicted to this awesome game we are blessed to have.
I would like to compliment my current setup which is a 24 Inch Acer H243HX plus an old 15 Inch Panaview LCD.

The 15 Inch Panaview I use for Team Speak monitoring and taking notes with or watching TV as I have a dual tuner digital PCI-Express card.

The Acer 24 Inch H243HX has colourshine on the Panel which makes the colours gorgeous and unbelievable to say the least however it's still a CCFL Blacklight screen and not LED like the newer LCD Monitors out today.

I would like to purchase a higher quality screen with 3D Capabilities which I have read run a 120Hz refresh rate.

Similar to those old school CRT monitors which where around back in my youth. Ha-Ha.
I've read the motion capture and lack of jerkyness in fast paced motion in games like Counter Strike are very noticeable.

Now thinking of Freelancer it sounds like the new 3D monitors could really help out with the lovely new Graphics Tweaks we have in the Discovery mod.

In System Battles where often at least on Archy's Portal we have allot of players all gunning for each other for the claim and glory of owning a system.
I imagine the break throughs in 3D Monitors would help make all the gun fire and the fast paced spinning action of the strafing ships look all that much prettier.

Is there anyone out there with a 3D Monitor setup with FReelancer and can advise if the 120Hz makes a difference or looking for a similar setup to myself and has the same question?

I wonder if Freelancer can even display more then 60 FPS a minute if one had a 3D Monitor with 120Hz refresh rate? (Assuming of course it's not limited internally by the design or coding of the game).

Any enlightenments would be welcome.

- Cheers fellas.:D
- Good v1be. He-He:)
well first of all is you G-card even 3D capable?
Well, my current setup is a Cross Fire implementation of the 'ATI' HIS 5770 Graphic Cards with 1Gb memory each.

CPU is an Intel i5 750 overclocked to 3.9 Ghz with 8Gb of 2200 G.Skill memory.
' Wrote:Well, my current setup is a Cross Fire implementation of the 'ATI' HIS 5770 Graphic Cards with 1Gb memory each.

CPU is an Intel i5 750 overclocked to 3.9 Ghz with 8Gb of 2200 G.Skill memory.
which means nothing if your G-card aint 3D capable
The 5770 is 3d capable using AMD's 3d implementation. I would go for a monitor that is compatible with that for certain.

As for how Freelancer looks on a 120Hz screen, it all depends on whether you're running in 2D or 3D mode. I have an ASUS 23.6" 3d monitor that I use all the time. To be honest, I can't really tell the difference between running at 120Hz and 60Hz.

60Hz is well above the level at which the human eye is capable of perceiving smooth motion. For that matter, a CRT at 60Hz operates differently than an LCD at 60Hz. With a CRT, the source of the light is making a complete sweep down and across 60 times per second, while an LCD's light source is fixed in place. This is the main reason CRTs are easier on the eyes at higher rates.

Now, for 3D mode, there is quite a dramatic difference, but it can be a bit confusing. First off, certain interface elements are all rendered at what is called "Monitor Depth", meaning they will appear to be at the same depth as the front of the monitor. The problem with this is the targeting boxes and cursor, which can make tracking another ship difficult. In my experience, my eyes are constantly readjusting from the cursor and boxes to the ship and back. Makes it very hard to hit anything in combat.

From a technical standpoint, Freelancer is perfectly capable of rendering as many frames per second as the monitor requires, as long as the video card is capable. Dual 5770's should be more than capable. Heck, I've even been able to push that many frames in Freelancer on my old Radeon 9800 Pro.
Speaking of 3D, the latest version of KMP ( a media player) has a 3D button in the lower left hand corner.

I've used it on 'normal' videos and it certainly looks like it works.

Now if only I could find a pair of red/cyan glasses.....
whats the diference between 120Hz and 60Hz?
The size of your hardware penis.
The 5770 is 3D capable? Dafuq this is news to me I have one of those in my desktop...

Too bad 3D movies tend to give me massive headaches and I already wear glasses :L
' Wrote:whats the diference between 120Hz and 60Hz?
In terms of 3d monitors... you need double the refresh rate to provide an illusion of 3d. The truth is that you shouldn't run your monitor at 60Hz anyway because of the faint blinking that ruins your eyes. 85Hz is the recommended minimum for a monitor. The same likely applies to 3d monitors that operate at 120Hz. Ideally you'd want 150Hz or higher for better 3d effect.
Pages: 1 2