Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Afterburning speeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm sure this must have come up before, but I've never seen it discussed, so tell me why this can't work:

LF : AB at 240
HF : AB at 220
VHF/Bomber : AB at 200
Gunships/Gunboats : AB at 180
DE : AB at 160

All others (Heavier Caps and Traders) AB at 140

BB Licence prevents BB from AB at all.

And should some Trader ships (Smugglers esp) get a higher rate.

I guess what I'm asking is, why only 200 and 140? Why not other AB rates?
that might be interesting.. but it might need a whole lot of balancing problems..

---
I see a few already.. GBs at 180 is insane... they go in one direction on e-kill... and you will have problems barely catching them in a bomber... not talking about dodging... even now it's on the edge when you do this..

' Wrote:that might be interesting.. but it might need a whole lot of balancing problems..

---
I see a few already.. GBs at 180 is insane... they go in one direction on e-kill... and you will have problems barely catching them in a bomber... not talking about dodging... even now it's on the edge when you do this..

Thats fine, the actual numbers need work, likely.

What I really am asking is whether its possible? Why are there only 2 speeds (140 and 200) now?
I think fighters could be sped up a bit, LFs and interceptors especially.
Maybe only a subtle change:

LF's and HF's AB at 230

GB's, DE's AB at 170

everything else as-is?
It is possible. It's a feature on a few other mods.

Personally, I like the idea, but I can see things quickly spirally out of control unless a lot of restrictions were coded in. There would have to be (light/heavy/very heavy) fighter thrusters, freighter thrusters, bomber thrusters, transport thrusters...thrusters...thrusters...you get the idea. Just to keep one type (ie. the best) of thruster from being abused by all. I gather that is the reason there are only two thruster speeds in Discovery. And I suppose it might take a fair deal of coding/time to do.

I would go one step further though, and have different regular speeds for each ship as well. Just for the sake of variety. But that might get abused as well. One of the features I liked about the Frontierspace mod was the fact that you could upgrade your engines and powerplant to some extent - higher speeds, longer lasting thrusters, more energy capacity, quicker gun recharges, etc. The feature was limited by ship class and there were items that were non-transferrable. And the upgrades reduced cargo capacity. It was nice to be able to customize my ship. Don't see it happening here though. I believe Igiss already stated that there would no additional mounted equipment in the next release. Again, I imagine it would be a feature that would be extremely difficult to balance.

Cheers,
Idaho
AB speed is a function of the ship, not the mounted thruster.

A VHF with an enhanced thruster mounted AB's at 200 now.

A GB with an enhanced thruster mounted AB's at 140 now.
one problem that i see on the different speed are fights, most time on fight you are on thruster speed.and speed +40 as my enemy for example (LF vs VHF or bomber) is realy big advantage,because you can easy fly in circles around him. on the other side VHF vs GB. now when you fight in vhf or bomber you try to fly around when he press engine kill and start turning face to you and you try to be not in front of face of the gb. and now you can thrust on 200 and gb on 180 so that decrease your time to go away from face of gb when the gb is on 180 speed on full thrust, engine kill and start tunrning. and this can continue on all ship classes.
Remember that there is no medium in space. Unless you were near some large mass, your vessls mass has no effect on it's speed.

Using a compressed air can, you could propel a liberty Dreadnought as fast as you could propel an Arrow Interceptor. It's not the mass that matters, it's the thruster itself.

I see two classes of thrusters: a standard fighter thruster and a standard capship thruster. 140 and 200 are cool for me.

Good idea, though, Dieter!
' Wrote:It is possible. It's a feature on a few other mods.

Personally, I like the idea, but I can see things quickly spirally out of control unless a lot of restrictions were coded in. There would have to be (light/heavy/very heavy) fighter thrusters, freighter thrusters, bomber thrusters, transport thrusters...thrusters...thrusters...you get the idea. Just to keep one type (ie. the best) of thruster from being abused by all. I gather that is the reason there are only two thruster speeds in Discovery. And I suppose it might take a fair deal of coding/time to do.

I would go one step further though, and have different regular speeds for each ship as well. Just for the sake of variety. But that might get abused as well. One of the features I liked about the Frontierspace mod was the fact that you could upgrade your engines and powerplant to some extent - higher speeds, longer lasting thrusters, more energy capacity, quicker gun recharges, etc. The feature was limited by ship class and there were items that were non-transferrable. And the upgrades reduced cargo capacity. It was nice to be able to customize my ship. Don't see it happening here though. I believe Igiss already stated that there would no additional mounted equipment in the next release. Again, I imagine it would be a feature that would be extremely difficult to balance.

Cheers,
Idaho

Thruster speed does not depend on the thruster, it depends on the ship...
A transport with a nomad thruster does not have the same speed as a LF with a nomad thruster.
Pages: 1 2 3