Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Vista SP1 is released.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I installed it on our laptop just now. Seem to be working alright. I have heard only good things about this. The one thing I have NOT tried yet is if it affects Freelancer gaming. So info about this is welcome.

The Windows update will not show SP1 since MS does not want to force push it yet. They gonna make it available via update in May I've heard. So you need to DL the whole package separately. It some 430MB big, but good news is that download speed is as fast as your connection (at least for me 750KB/s) is so there is no clogging apparently.

Anyway the release is official and valid.

Vista SP1 for x86-bit systems

Vista SP1 for x64-bit systems

As for the drivers that have problems with SP1 you can find the list here,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

as well as a number of reason for SP1 to fail to install.

EDIT: I just installed SP1 and Freelancer + Disco work just fine.
Both links are dead, because SP1 isn't actually released to the public yet. Reason why those links are dead, along with XP SP3. Though, Vista SP1 is complete and available through Windows Updates. But unfortunately, in order for your Windows Updates to download the service pack, you'd have to change registry values in Windows. This operation is considered illegal, so I won't be explaining how to do it. (Not that I have, I don't use Vista) - You'll have to wait until May, for this and XP SP3.
Great, not that ive had any problems with vista so far, but this might help with my performance on games..

Vista ftw:)
' Wrote:Both links are dead, because SP1 isn't actually released to the public yet. Reason why those links are dead, along with XP SP3. Though, Vista SP1 is complete and available through Windows Updates. But unfortunately, in order for your Windows Updates to download the service pack, you'd have to change registry values for Windows to download it. This operation is considered illegal, so I won't be explaining how to do it. (Not that I have, I don't use Vista) - You'll have to wait until May.

WHAT?!

I just clicked on the links and they worked fine. :crazy:

And they are released to public. No you don't have to wait anything.
I've clicked both links, along with my friends on 4 different computers, they don't work. (Unless it has something to do with living in Canada.)

EDIT: And I just ran the links through an American proxy, and it worked... Now I wonder why Canadian users don't have access.:dry:
http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/windows-v...ailable-080318/

btw, its downloading with windows update for me now
' Wrote:http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/windows-v...ailable-080318/

btw, its downloading with windows update for me now

Probably has something do with your twisted software properties legistlation relationships with the US.

Anyway, only these languages are supported.

Quote:Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 will contain changes focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues; supporting new types of hardware; and adding support for several emerging standards. SP1 also will continue to make it easier for IT administrators to deploy and manage Windows Vista. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone version can be installed on systems with any of the following language versions: English (US), French, German, Japanese, or Spanish (Traditional).

Sniper: Thanks for the link. Very concise info. Weird. And very weird this Canadian guarantee indeed.
this improves vista soo much.. allot of the software i couldn't use before works:)

Performance is allot better, glad i got vista:)
[DELETED]
Anyone ha SP1 and Freelancer? I simply did not have time yesterday to install SP1 to my gaming machine.
Pages: 1 2