Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rule 4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:4.1 No characters are allowed to join more than 1 faction. Characters from one account can join different factions freely, unless faction policy specifies another rule for this, but no more than 2 system-owning factions at one time.

This may come as a bit of a shock to some people, but the above is indeed part of the rules. I've always thought it wasn't enforced heavily, but luckily all of my accounts meet the criteria, so I should be fine and have no experience in the matter. I believe that this can create unnecessary problems. In an earlier thread about this, it was suggested it be scrapped, and several people almost instantaneously agreed it, which I think necessitates a poll. So, post away. Not that the Admins have to listen to us, of course, but I'd like to see the general opinion, if for nothing but personal curiosity.

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, consider the 'Scrap it.' option to also fulfill the "Amend to 'No characters are allowed to join more than 1 faction.' and just that" school of thought.
Scrap it.

I know that Igiss is very busy, but in general, I also believe that a revamp of the rules is needed.
I wouldn't say scrap it all together, but perhaps ammend it. I think it is important that any one character is only in one faction.
I agree with AC. It's the 2nd part...
Quote:Characters from one account can join different factions freely, unless faction policy specifies another rule for this, but no more than 2 system-owning factions at one time.
That is problematic, not the first.

The First part, however, is somewhat implied. I have yet to come across someone actually fielding the same character in two different factions.
Yeah, same as AC here.. Scrap the 'one person can only be in 2 system-owning factions at once' but leave the character one. I remember when a guy had characters from two different factions once.. He was SDF (old SF) and something else at the same time (forgot what it was, the faction is gone now) and all it did was cause problems..
Honestly, I thought the 'Character can Only be in One Faction' part was as-read and given...
' Wrote:I think it is important that any one character is only in one faction.
Agreed there....
But, I've some accounts with 3 characters on them...why shouldn't they each be allowed to join a faction?
The rule doesn't make much sense to me, as far as prohibitions against multiclanning go...well, Disco is the clan, guys. Dividing it up that way just works against us.
Ok ... I'm going against the grain here ... but I say leave it. The rule does not say you cannot be in more than two factions. It says you cannot be in more than two "system owning" factions.

Now the limit may not need to be two, but I'd say there does need to be some sort of limit. You shouldn't be able to be a member of EVERY system owning faction on the server. Personally, I don't see how anyone has the time to be dedicated to more than one or two anyway.

Here's one problem we'll run into: Each faction is required to have a certain number of members to be considered an official faction. Further ... each faction is required to have a certain number of active members to "own" a system. Just because you have the required number of members on your membership roles does not mean they are all active members.

Problem #2: Say you have a faction #1 with 10 members that own a system. Say you decide you want to own more than one system, so you create faction #2 and everyone that's a member of faction #1 joins faction #2 with new (different) characters. In effect, you are the same faction but own two systems ... especially if you claim factions #1 and #2 are allied.

Now ... if we say we get rid of this rule, lets consider changing the number of systems a faction can own. At a cost of 1 billion credits per system, we'd see quite a bit more trading going on by factions in order to purchase multiple systems.
The rule is somewhat vague..

"Two system-owning factions per account".

I'd be willing to bet the majority of players have more than one account, so the stipulation can in effect be circumvented.. And, is that "FL account", or "Forum account"..?

I've played fast and loose with the first clause in the past.. The mysterious leader of the KNF, "Chijin", could also be found praying to the Wacky Goddess... a part of the reason that Chijin resigned as Taichou. I attempt to keep my "noses" more separate now.

I'm abstaining, as I'd prefer a re-write which clarifes the rule, rather than a complete scrapping.

Malafencesitter
I agree ... its not that it needs to be scrapped or left alone. What we really need is a rewrite to make it clear.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6