Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ubuntu VS. XP VS. Suse Linux Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So... this is what I hear.

My friend is changing from Vista to Ubuntu.

He says this is why:

- Ubuntu runs all XP and Vista programs. (Verify?)
- It runs faster then XP (What I run.)
- It runs Mac programs (Verify?)
- It has cooler themes etc.

My Question:

Why doesn't everybody else change to that if it's faster and runs all programs?

His answer: Nobody wants to reformat.

My thought: I don't care if I reformat (and loose all stuff).

So.. is Ubuntu worth it? Can it really run ALL xp, vista, and mac programs? Is it faster? Should I change my laptop from XP to Ubuntu? I would think it supports wireless internet...?

ALSO: Will UBUNTU run FREELANCER? If it can run xp stuff it should be able to.. if it does, it could give me another chance at it working on my laptop.

Please post your thoughts telling me why I should or should not switch to Ubuntu.

Thanks.
I'm not sure which is better, but I'll tell you that Freelancer currently does not run on Ubuntu because Direct X won't run on it. Though, I do believe Unselie and Korrd were looking for a way to do it, if you're lucky they'll post. ^_^
Right.
I can play freelancer.
what I cannot do is play online.
Running any vista program...uh...unless its a game, it will either run it or have a substitute (often much better)
It has much cooler themes, and is much more customizable.
Shining golden Exampe: Compiz Fusion
A huge repository of user made themes, backgrounds, pointers, etc

Really, the only reason m$ has anything on linux is the DX dependency of most game devs...but we're working on some things that make DX not look that great...Like the next Elite successor: Vega Strike

But, no.
If it uses DX, you'll have trouble running it.
Err. First of all, if you want to run Windows applications you'll need emulation environment, such as Wine, though it's not the only one around. Linux (Ubuntu being only a distribution of Linux, a vendor of sorts) doesn't run those natively for it's a totally different environment.

In my opinion it's just totally a different experience, although some distributions (like Xandros) trying to emulate Windows interface as closely as possible, the system itself at its core is quite different.

Ubuntu isn't the only Linux distribution, there are many others each own with various features and usage. Personally I use Sourcemage, but I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't good with Linux around, it's a source-based distribution (compiling kernel and applications from sources).

Check this site: http://distrowatch.com/, as you can see there are quite a lot to pick from and try.
I'm also going to mention a learning curve that makes crossing into Mordor look decent; pleasant, even.
Oh, and it runs faster.
Windows is retardedly slow....and vulnerable.
Thanks for the replies, but I have another question:

Will Ubuntu support my webcam and camcorder drivers? Will it support other drivers like my internet card?

Thanks
You can install Ubuntu on your machine in a dual boot environment.
If you don't like it or it does not support all of your hardware you can un-install it
and still have XP untouched.
A lot of Linux distributions have so-called "live" mode, where you just boot the entire system from your CD/DVD into memory. This way you can try the system before you install it on your hard drive and see if it supports devices that you need.

Most ethernet controllers are supported and run out of the box.

However webcams may not work. Drivers for such devices (webcams, scanners, some printers, etc) are often made only for Windows and Macs. Just do some search for your device model and Linux together.
Ok.. so today my friend gave me a copy (not used perfectly legal) of Suse Linux Professional 9.2 from the year 2004.

What do you think about this system? It has 2 dvd's 4 installation cds.. and two HUGE manuals. Is it a good systeM? Is it as reliable as Ubuntu?

Thanks..
10.2 is newer...

And Linux is all open-source anyways. There's no way it could be "illegal" to install it that I can think of.
Pages: 1 2 3