Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Tips on going from one job to another?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So after my putting work before... well everything this winter, I have just learned that despite that and great work reports, I'm not being put on a permanent contract after the Christmas period. Part of me saw it coming, but I'm still totally gutted that I'm still being let go next week.

I'm going to go from two jobs at once to zero in one go, I don't want that.

Does anyone here have good tips to going from one job to another? As soon as my shift finished today I went job hunting in town to try my luck, I've had a few places looking, but needed my CV. I don't carry those with my while at work.

Tips anyone?
Well, over here I'd start digging through the local paper, check with the temp agencies, check with regular employment agencies as well (that's how I got my current job), check online for places that you might not think of right away, and make sure that you've updated your resume' to reflect your current experience as well as making sure that things like references and other work history are still relevant.

With a resume' of work history that spans 34 years, I tend to only hit the highlights on mine now. I don't list every single job - it's pretty much impossible.
General rule of thumb: Make sure you get your new job before you quit the current one. I know this doesn't apply for you today, but it will.

I'm not sure what Wales is like as far as how the house address numbers are posted at the street, but here in 'merica, house addresses are spraypainted on the curb uniformly so that emergency & police can be more efficient.

Anyhoo, my point is, if Wales falls into that category, go get some paint & stencil at the hardware store & go to the neighborhoods that both need refreshing & have residents with enough disposable income to pay you.

Do it right & you can get through college without mucking about in a real job.
' Wrote:I'm not sure what Wales is like as far as how the house address numbers are posted at the street, but here in 'merica, house addresses are spraypainted on the curb uniformly so that emergency & police can be more efficient.

Anyhoo, my point is, if Wales falls into that category, go get some paint & stencil at the hardware store & go to the neighborhoods that both need refreshing & have residents with enough disposable income to pay you.

Do it right & you can get through college without mucking about in a real job.

Helps if you're in a REALLY big town, too. And if you can, have some stencils and the appropriate paint colors for the local sports teams. In Oklahoma City, I see the OU, OSU, and Cowboys stencils on the curb next to the number a lot.
if you lived in the netherlands, then your out of luck.. no jobs here
and if there are any they want experiance
and there is no way to gain any
i am a carpenter without a job, sometimes i get one for just a week with lower payments, and it hurts in my wallet
Quote:Tips anyone?

Ask you current employer if they can recommend to someone they know is hiring.
Job hunting is not easy in the UK, Ive flitted from one temp job to another, thank God my dad has managed to get quite a bit of work for me. Luckily Im going to full time college this September and University after that so I just need something to tide me over for a few months. As for jobs, try the jobcentre website, usually good for your relatively basic jobs.
' Wrote:.......house addresses are spraypainted on the curb uniformly so that emergency & police can be more efficient.
.....go get some paint & stencil at the hardware store & go to the neighborhoods .......

Do that in the UK and you'll get arrested for vandalism :(
Oh maaan! that sucks to hear:mellow:

That's how I made money on the road for a couple years traveling around the country after high school & it sucked ahellofalot less than having an actual job type, job:crazy:
Open some site for searching a job. Send your cv to ~10 good open positions you like. Wait.
Pages: 1 2