Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Public Service Announcements by the Republic of Liberty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[Image: Major-Boris-Johnson.jpg]

Citizens and Civilians both within and outside the Republic;

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

Today, we find ourselves forwards one year, and what a year it has been. Wars engulf Sirius, and a new power just a few years ago unknown to us has revealed itself. Despite our best efforts, terrorists and vagrants have been making their mark on our beautiful world. We have faced commercial agression from one side and military agression from another. There seems to be no end of bad news from all corners of the sector.

It is a challenging time for us all as the New Year dawns. Yet, despite the gloom, there is much cause to be thankful and proud. The Republic has succeeded in keeping her borders secure despite the numerous threats from within and without. Due to the valiant efforts of our security forces, the Federal military dictatorship of Rheinland has been pushed from the gates of our homeland. Due to the quick thinking of our diplomats and the efforts of companies such as Deep Space Engineering, Universal Shipping and Ageira Technologies, our economy has survived blockade after blockade by the Empire of Kusari. From the hardship forced upon us by the greed of others, we grow stronger again. Even the Junkers have played their part to help the people of the Republic of Liberty through tough times. Our flagbearers hold the torch of Freedom and Fairness high as they proclaim with one voice that Liberty will flourish!

Yet, with the new year, exposure to new powers and the products they bring, we have already reviewed the dangers that could be faced by the house. The discovery of another nation brings many opportunities, but many risks as well, which the government has already assessed. As such, there are a few changes to the law, with brief and concise explanations for their change. All the new additions are temporary until we can further review the situation.

<strike>
Firstly, it is wonderful news that Ageira Technologies and Deep Space Engineering have opened their space station modules to the open market, for anybody to purchase should they have the means. However, this has already been anticipated to cause many problems with base clutter around our house and encroachment on public space.

This means that, as a temporary measure, all base building is currently prohibited. The only exceptions to this new law are stations pushed into service by the Forces of Liberty Primary Fleets (LPI-, =LSF=, [LN]).

The reason for this is that the security forces must be allowed the legal rights, and obligations that come with them, to secure key strategic areas not currently covered by the permanent installations around the house. For example, it is well-known that the trade lane from the New York Jump Gate to Riverside Station in California was a pirate hotspot last year. In this case, it is expected that measures will be taken by the security forces to ensure that this does not continue. It was a clear in President Powell's manifesto that the security and stability of the Republic of Liberty was the number one priority, and we aim to deliver here. Those concerned should rest assured that, once the Forces of Liberty Primary Fleets have finished evaluating and constructing their outposts, base building will become a legal activity.

This means that, for now, any station found to belong to entities other than the Forces of Liberty Primary Fleets risk the destruction of their property with no prospect of compensation.
</strike>

Next, the introduction of cloaking devices to the open market is an interesting development, but not one with which we would neccessarily agree. Cloaking devices represent a significant risk of abuse, the most obvious kinds of which would be espionage by an agent of our enemies and the ease of which escape from justice is possible. The government of the Republic of Liberty need time to review the risks and capabilities of the new cloaking device, and we abide by the adage "better safe than sorry".

Therefore, cloaking devices are banned from all ships within the Republic of Liberty. The only exceptions to this law are individuals which are part of the Liberty Navy and Liberty Security Forces, which are indicated by their possession of both the IFF and the ID, and the Primary division of the Liberty Police Incorporated, denoted by the LPI- nametag.

Any ships not covered by these exceptions are subject to ejection from the Republic or immediate termination by the Forces of Liberty.

<strike>The introduction of the docking module has also finally hit the shelves in the local shipdealers, but this again comes with risks to the Republic. It is easy enough to imagine a benign transporter filled to the brim with enemy fighters penetrating our borders, after all. There is also a large chance of there being further security implications of the docking module, though there is an obvious understanding within the government that they are crucial to mobile entertainment found on Enterprise liners for example.

Because of these factors, the docking module has for the time being been outlawed on all ships with the capability to carry them. The exceptions to this include domestic capital ships, liner-class ships and the barge mobile station. Foreign capital ships visiting the Republic of Liberty for whatever reason are not exempted from this rule.

All ships flouting this law which do not fall under the outlined exceptions will be considered as threats to national security and destroyed.

In addition, we have come into contact with dangerous new commodities. The first of these is Nox, a narcotic with an unknown origin at this time. Preliminary tests of this substance have already shown that it is a highly addictive substance, which has similar properties to a powerful depressant. It may also have hallucinogenic characteristics. The long-term implications on the human body of this substance are unclear, but what is clear is that this substance exhibits all the hallmarks of a highly dangerous narcotic and should be avoided at all costs.

This means that Nox is now considered contraband within Liberty. It is rated in the same band as Cardamine and Nomad materials, which means that possession of this commodity will result in any punishment the officer on duty deems fit to administer.

The second commodity we have encountered are hypno-tainment bands, apparently a modified version of the holo-tainment bands that have proved popular. The side-effects of holo-tainment bands are still unclear to us, but there is singificant debate on the issue. Our main observation of this product is that it produces a much more intense and life-like experience than the holo-tainment equivalent. However, this product also appears to leave the user in a hypnotic stupor while in use. This is very different to holo-tainment bands, and is cause for concern.

Thus, pending further examinations of these hypno-tainment bands, they are considered contraband. This is a precautionary measure, though anybody found in possession of the product will be treated as if they were in possession of a commodity such as Nox, Cardamine or Nomad materials.
</strike>
These changes are all undergoing review at the moment, which is to allow the government to form a more comprehensive understanding and thus a more suitable legal framework for the future. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused, hopes dashed and so on, but we urge safety over impetus.

That is all for now, but any further announcements will also be made on this channel, as and when they need to be made.

- Boris Livingstone, Secretary of State for Internal Affairs

Please see post four for details of updates to the law pertaining specifically to Nox, Hypnotainment Bands, base building and docking modules.

- Edit date: 18th May, 819 A.S.
[Image: George-W.jpg]

My Fellow Libertonians;

Today I come to you, on the first of January 819 A.S., with a mixed message. The year past has been one of war, conflict, lawlessness and terrorism. Not a week goes by without the loss of an innocent, the wanton destruction of property or the kidnapping of a defenseless child. To add to our problems, the Federal Republic of Rheinland has perceived us to be weakened, and agressed the Independent Worlds of Bering and Hudson to take advantage of us. Of Liberty.

My heartfelt condolences go out to all those who have lost a friend or loved one to these disasters. Each loss shakes the foundations and beliefs upon which our great nation stands. Each voice silenced, for no better reason than blind criminality, flies in the face of all that we have tried to achieve. Even the selfless sacrifices of the Forces of Liberty, who give their lives willingly to protect those who cannot protect themselves, are not enough to stem the tide of maliciousness that threatened to wash away all that we have built.

Amidst the human tragedy of the last year, any man or woman may be forgiven for losing hope, for wondering where we go from here, for wondering if chaos will forever grip our lives. I, however, am no such person. My convictions for a safe and secure society have never been stronger! In a time of crisis such as this, the Republic needs a leader who is not afraid to step up to the challenges facing his country, who will not shirk his responsibility to the people that he serves. I am here to tell you that I, President James Powell, am this person!

Freedom and security, prosperity and the Libertonian dream. These are the values of our nation, our people, values that epitomise what we stand for. The belief that, despite any obstacle, greatness can be achieved. Hard work pays for itself, and my government and I intend to work harder than ever to secure the future of our children.

The challenges that this country has faced have been many and varied. We have seen bands of outlaws plague the shipping lanes, an entire house going to war with us commercially and another finding the boldness to attack us outright. We have seen the bloody handiwork of self-styled freedom fighters and complete incompetance from those who claim to protect humanity. Ladies and gentlemen, we have seen failure all around us.

Or have we?

Superhuman efforts are being made by the Forces of Liberty to secure our space from all-comers. I receive regular progress reports that assure me of the successes in and around our house. By now, we have all heard of one major victory against the Federal Republic of Rheinland, this of course being the capture, intact, of the Battleship Westfalen. Such a success was made possible by the efficiency with which all of our armed forces cooperate and coordinate to assure homeland security as well as progress on the front lines. It is the aim of this government to show, with evidence as hard as granite, that these successes, economically as well as military, are not chance events.

Speaking of the economy, this is also an area in which we have found ourselves at war. The war with Rheinland and the repeated and unprovoked blockades by the
Empire of Kusari have caused the rapid inflation of prices of goods produced in both houses. Yet, as the year wore on, the resourcefulness of you, the people, shone through. With the assistance of lowered interest rates thanks to the Central Liberty Internal Treasury, businesses offering substitutes for the shortfall have sprung up. Your entrepreneurial strength has done the Republic of Liberty proud, and shown to the entire sector the level of conviction needed to achieve wealth creation in times of hardship. Equally, we should not forget the contribution of Deep Space Engineering, Universal Shipping Incorporated and Ageira Technologies. They have stood by the Republic of Liberty and confronted the threat of economic meltdown without flinching. They have stood by us as our shield, casting aside their short-term financial obligations to ensure that you and I have a future.

One of the greatest challenges we faced last year was the shortfall of fuel, caused by the callous disregard of the
Empire of Kusari of their economic prosperity as well as our own. This episode opened many eyes to the inadequacy of relying on others for our fuel sources, which is why this government is planning to step up fuel exploration efforts. In the more short term, there were many instances of individuals leading the way by saving fuel where they could, car-pooling and so on. Even when Liberty is besieged so viciously, I've been proud to see that, far from villifying the foreign nationals within our borders, we have continued to welcome them and show our true nature as caring and compassionate individuals. The security and stability of the Republic of Liberty lies even more within our ability to sustain ourselves than it does with our impenetrable defensive capability. But chiefly, the prosperity of the Republic is assured by the selflessness and good nature of her people, a quality that few others can claim to match.

There is cause for hope, people of the Republic! There is light at the end of the tunnel, the walls of which are paved with the sacrifice of our kin and crimes against the innocent. We will reach the light, our future, peace and prosperity. We will reach the light without sacrificing the values and beliefs that make us great.

We will reach the light together!

In the New Year, I intend to serve the people of the Republic of Liberty by providing the example of how a true Libertonian patriot should act.

To my surprise, it is just reaching me now that the
Empire of Kusari has undergone a change of leadership, one which I very much welcome. As part of the example that my government intends to set over the coming year, I will be strongly encouraging positive engagement with the new Kusari, and hope to build bridges where they were burned before.

Unfortunately, the cause of this regime change looks to be the forces of the newly revealed
Kingdom of Gallia prematurely concluding the war between the Kingdom of Bretonia and the Empire of Kusari. This may have grave implications upon us, as our faithful allies are flung into yet another war, already fatigued from a prolonged conflict of their own. I send this message to the Kingdom of Gallia: should you approach us as friends, we will treat you warmly and build a strong, progressive relationship for the future. However, should you approach us as enemies, you will find the Republic of Liberty standing as a fortress stands before a man. The choice is yours.

The future holds many uncertainties, this I will not deny. However, there is one guarantee that I can give: The citizens and residents of the Republic of Liberty, not the politicians, will be her strength going forwards. Your convictions will ensure our prosperity, however grim the circumstances around us become.

My fellow Libertonians, I salute you.

- James Powell, President of the Republic of Liberty
[Image: ieozSXV7_n.U.jpg]

The Empire of Kusari and the Supply of Fuel;

Ladies and gentlemen, the last six months has been a trying time for us all.

Our economy slowed and hardworking Libertonians struggled to come to terms with the rising price of fuel. Our businesses, large and small, were forced to economise on its use. Some ships even struggled to moor, running on the fumes of their fuel tanks in a bid to reach their destinations.

As we all know, the reason for this wasn't a genuine shortage in the Sigma cluster, but the illegal intervention of the former Emperor, Jien Kogen, in restricting trade. He claimed this to be a product of an arms exchange between the Republic of Liberty and the
Kingdom of Bretonia. Even if this were true, I ask... what business did he have in intervening in our foreign relations affairs? The exchange was legal and fair, and is exactly the same as the Empire making use of the war machines produced in the Federal Republic of Rheinland. Yet, he would not hear the words of reason from all around, instead clutching to his enfeebled ideas and warlike nature. His heart was set on attacking this house, as it was set on attacking our allies.

And because of his will, the will of one man, we were made to suffer undue hardship. If anything, this is an illustration for us all that tyranny is the enemy of prosperity. Yet, despite the responsibility on his head, we should not celebrate his exile. There are those that benefited from his regime, few and far between as they are, and those that suffered as well. The fall of a head of state is always a regretful day, and we should show the new
Empire of Kusari, and her Emperor, our respect and support for the days ahead.

A new ruler and a new government signals the normalisation of relations with the
Empire of Kusari. This means that I can announce that fuel supplies are climbing back up to levels seen since before the blockade. For you, I and Libertonians everywhere, we can once again return to the era of affordable fuel and transport.

That is not to say that we are abandoning our projects to diversify our fuel supply. In fact, this government plans to strengthen them further, to protect the Republic from future malicious foreign intervention. Becoming self-reliant is not simply a matter of great importance, it is a matter of national security! The supply of energy has been said to be the currency of the present, even though we still rely on credits. It is this currency that the Republic of Liberty will find its new strength in, to protect her domestic and her international interests from all who stand in her way.

Never again will the Republic of Liberty be held ransom by any other. We will provide for ourselves what others would use as weapons against us. God favours the brave, and we will be brave in this undertaking!

We will make this nation great again!

- William Hawthorne, Secretary of State for Trade and Economics.
[Image: boris_johnson_thumbs.jpg]

Law update;

It's been a while since the temporary laws were introduced at the beginning of this year, but now the dust has started to settle, the wheels of democracy have turned and finalised most of the issues highlighted.

Firstly, the substances of Nox and Hypnotainment Bands have been fully evaluated. With the help of biochemist and neuroscience teams from across the Republic of Liberty, we have decided that for our own safety, both commodities have become permanently illegal to hold in any capacity. They will be treated by our forces as if they were similar to Cardamine, for example.

Secondly, the act of base building has been successfully legislated for. You will find the laws of Liberty updated to take this into account; please look at section two of the document for the base building license scheme. If you wish to build a base, or register an already fully-constructed base in the Republic of Liberty, please contact us using the communication channel.

Thirdly, docking modules are now fully legalised without restriction. We are aware that their functions are still undergoing tests so no problems with their use would have shown up yet. However, if we do encounter issues in the future, we will legislate accordingly.

Finally, cloaking devices are still illegal within the Republic of Liberty on a temporary basis, except as stipulated in my previous transmission on the first of this year. We are leaning heavily to the option of making them illegal permanently, except for both fleets of the Liberty Navy and Liberty Security Force, LPI-, DSE), Agiera| and [*USI*] ships, so any future legislation will bear that in mind.

My previous transmission has been edited in order to reflect portions that are now out-of-date.

May your travels be safe, fellow Libertonians.

[Image: BorisJohnson460.jpg]

Law update;

There have been some amendments to the base licensing section. These are mostly minor, being more to do with clarity than any substantial change. Here is a summary of the changes so far:

The part of the base legislation levying fees from the secondary fleet of the Liberty Navy, Liberty Security Force and Liberty Police Incorporated in the event that they set up a base has been removed. However, the government will still need to approve any request for bases to be built by these entities. The only difference is that there will not be a monthly charge incurred, should the base applications from these entities be accepted. In this vein, expect your application to be scrutinised more closely, for both tactical and economic factors. As per usual, unapproved bases will be removed.

Additionally, a list has been added to the base legislation section detailing those bases which are registered and legal within the Republic of Liberty. Currently, this list displays the name of the base and its system location. Grid locations and affiliations are being withheld for now, as these are potentially more sensitive pieces of information.

Finally, the wording of a small portion of this law has been changed to allow the choice as to whether base owners want to publicise the location of their base through the law document or not. This is relevant to the grid square and vertical location of each base, which can be disclosed publicly on request. This is an opt-in feature.

Additionally, there have been further minor amendments to the law, in particular the last section to do with notes.

- The section on corporate law has been removed, as it is now redundant.

- The wording of the prohibition of Gallic factions excluding the Gallic Council has been condensed slightly.

- The suggestion of a fine being able to resolve most infractions has been removed, to allow more freedom to our officers to decide an appropriate course of action in any given situation.

- The fine bracket for charges levied on the spot has changed from one million credits to ten million credits, to up to ten million credits. This allows smaller fines to be issued for minor infractions.

That is all for now.

[Image: marco-rubiox-large.jpg]

Attention all those effected by the Treaty of Bethlehem - namely the administrators of the following stations:
  • Bethlehem Station
  • Freeport 2
  • Ames Research Station
As this treaty was signed by the Council of Zoners - a now defunct group - this agreement is hereby declared null and void.

The administrators of the aforementioned bases are welcome to open communications with the Republic for negotiating a similar agreement, however these agreements will be mutually exclusive of one another. Administrators are advised to open up communications on a secure channel, as this channel is a reply-disabled broadcast.

As an act of good faith, the Republic will respect a 5K no-fire zone around the aforementioned stations for the next month, awaiting communiques from the station owners.

Secretary of State for Foreign Policy,
Sam Worthington
[Image: BorisJohnson460.jpg]

Law update;

There have been some amendments to the base licensing section. These changes are significant and affect all current and future requests. Here is a summary of the changes so far:

The systems of New Hampshire and Magellan have been removed from consideration for license due to the intensity of the conflict with the Federal Republic of Rheinland and the Kingdom of Gallia respectively.

With the ceding of the systems of Bering and Hudson to Liberty's jurisdiction via destruction of the Jump Gates to the Hamburg system, the Republic of Liberty has reclassified these systems as Zone 3.

Finally, the system of Kansas is moved to Zone 4.

Bounty Board Notice;

In addition to these changes the Republic of Liberty has streamlined its paperwork and is now making bi-weekly payments to all registered bounty hunter and mercenary organizations and individuals. Please take a moment to review all available targets and rules for claims.

That is all for now.

[Image: marco-rubiox-large.jpg]

Diplomacy notice;

Effective immediately, the Republic of Liberty has signed a treaty with the recently-established entity identifying themselves as the Natio Octavarium.

(01-15-2014, 02:31 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: [ -> ]
A Treaty of Peace between
Natio Octavarium
and
The Republic of Liberty
on the Fourteenth of January, 821 A.S.

aka the Treaty of Elysium Fields

0 - Preamble -----

The representatives of the governments of the Republic of Liberty and Natio Octavarium, after weeks of deliberation amongst themselves and each other, have gathered here today on Planet Curacao to sign this Treaty, which will effectively end hostilities between Republic of Liberty, and her Navy, and Natio Octavarium, and its Raiders. This Treaty will represent a shift in diplomacy between our two nations, opening the door to the possibilities of open trade and military cooperation with regards to common interests.

I - Natio Octavarium -----

i. The Vagrant Raiders will completely cease military operations in Liberty space.

ii. In no way shall Natio Octavarium nor its agents in the Vagrant Raiders act in a way that could at all compromise the Republic of Liberty, its government forces, agents, or civilians. Any military actions by Natio Octavarium in defense of either Libertonian or Natio corporations and civilians will only occur if it has been ascertained that any Vagrant Raiders military actions will not cause harm to any civilians directly or indirectly affected.

iii. No Vagrant Raiders vessel will linger in Liberty core space without escort or permission from a vessel of the Liberty Navy Primary Fleet, Liberty Police Inc., or the Liberty Security Force Department of Homeland Security. No Vagrant Raiders combat vessel will enter New York without direct escort from the Liberty Navy Primary Fleet, Liberty Police Inc., or the Liberty Security Force Department of Homeland Security. Natio Octavarium will abide by Liberty's rule against unescorted foreign capital ships in its space.

iv. Corporations belonging to the Republic of Liberty will be protected by the Vagrant Raiders in Natio Octavarium space.

v. The Vagrant Raiders will cease any and all operations that would be considered a breach of the Treaty of Curacao.

II - The Republic of Liberty -----

i. The Forces of Liberty will completely cease military operations against the Vagrant Raiders.

ii. The Vagrant Raiders will no longer be treated as criminals under Libertonian law.

iii. The Republic of Liberty will respect Natio Octavarium's claims to the Kansas and Humboldt systems, and will not send Liberty forces (Liberty Navy, Liberty Security Force) into the Kansas system without permission or escort from the Vagrant Raiders. Any operations and duties conducted by the Forces of Liberty in these systems against hostile parties will be assumed by the Vagrant Raiders.

iv. The law enforcement agencies of the Republic of Liberty will cease operations in Kansas and Humboldt. These systems will fall under Natio Octavarium jurisdiction and law.

v. Enemies of the Republic of Liberty will not be allowed to use Natio Octavarium territory as forward operating bases for attacks on Liberty holdings, corporations and territories.

III - Civilians and Trade -----

i. Citizens of the Republic of Liberty and corporations of the Republic of Liberty will be permitted full passage in Natio Octavarium space, pursuant to Octavarium law.

ii. Citizens of Natio Octavarium and corporations of Natio Octavarium will be permitted full passage in Republic of Liberty space, pursuant to Liberty law.

iii. Free trade of commodities legal in both houses will be opened between Natio Octavarium and the Republic of Liberty. Obstruction of free trade will be considered a criminal act against one or both houses, and the militiaries and law enforcement agencies of either house may act against offenders according to their respective house's piracy laws.

IV - Validation of Treaty -----

i. Signature of the representative of the Government of the Republic of Liberty: Samuel J. Worthington

ii. Signature of the representative of the Government of Natio Octavarium: Harold Angus Kane

iii. As of the moment that both the signatures of the representatives of the Republic of Liberty and Natio Octavarium are placed on this treaty, it will become valid as law in the nations of the signatories.

All employees of the Republic of Liberty's Government, including but not limited to the Forces of Liberty, are expected to take heed of this treaty immediately and comply with any operational changes that may result.

Base legislature update;

The monthly charges associated with the operation of modular stations has been variably decreased for all base sizes and will go into effect beginning next month. Please see Section 2 of the Laws of Liberty for more details.

- Sam Worthington, Secretary of State for Foreign Policy
[Image: boriswestham_2517415b.jpg]

Criminal Investigation Notice;

An investigation into the group known as the Junker's Congress for possible criminal and espionage level activities is hereby ordered under the authority of myself and Chief Justice Reynold Stark. Recent evidence submitted by the Liberty Navy First Fleet command has raised serious questions as to their loyalty and trustworthiness, and a full and complete investigation is the only way to get to the bottom of these accusations. The Public Service Announcement issued by Fleet Admiral Rachel Baker, found here, is to be heeded at all times by Liberty Force personnel. We have utmost trust in our Navy and Police forces to fully carry out this investigation and bring to light any and all wrong doing that has been done, or to exonerate the Junker's Congress if such charges are without merit.

[Image: Newt-Gingrich-new.jpg]

Kusari Travel Advisory;

This Public Service Announcement is to inform the Citizens of Liberty of the growing diplomatic incident looming on our border to the North. The Republic of Kusari has installed an embargo on Liberty's most direct transit route for the importing of H-Fuel and raw Helium-3 material, as well as various munitions and nuclear fuels, tarnishing a long-standing and mutually beneficial economic relationship.

This embargo is a result of Kusari's over-zealousness over minor incidents caused by miscommunication. Liberty has offered reasonable explanations and sincere apologies since the matter arose, but every time they have been dismissed with negative and unpleasantly hostile insinuations. Kusari's sabre-rattling has continued despite our repeated attempts at mediation and explanation for events that have been grossly misinterpreted.

Hence, we are issuing this cautionary travel advisory to all of our citizens travelling in or toward the Republic of Kusari. Be prepared to encounter increased patrols from the Navies of both Houses, and note that if we do not tread carefully that tensions between our Houses could potentially ignite into an open conflict.

- Harrison McRemitz, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (Kusari)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7