Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Farewell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A year and a half ago I left disco for about 9-10 months. I returned several months ago at the request of several order players who wanted me to help get things in the order moving again. With all the rumors of the impending release of 4.86 "soon™", I decided I'd stick around, finish working on the OSD and the loose ends for my order character. All of us had been waiting for 4.86 for three years, and it was the one thing that kept me interested to this point.

Needless to say, it didnt turn out like I'd hoped. After more than three years of waiting, what have we gotten?
-A few new "shiny" new ship models, along with more than a few terrible ones to counter. Many of them were not hardpointed correctly, causing turrets to clip with the ship model.
-An FLhook "feature" that prevents anyone from using any ships or equipment even slightly unrelated to their faction, regardless of any prior RP or justification - no matter how solid. Factions that have been the closest of allies before now, freely exchanging tech, are finding themselves unable to fend off even the attacks of NPCs due to power core "incompatibilities".
-The capital ship weapon 'split', like every other capship balance change in this mod, has made battleships even more of a one man army while hindering cruisers even futher.
-The jumpdrive system... which nobody can use due to the cargo space and fuel requirements.
-A cloaking device that will only benefit transports due to cargo and fuel requirements.
-Docking modules that benefit battleships more than dedicated carriers due to cargo space requirements.
-An unstable crackwhore of a server that nobody can play on.

What is the point of adding new features to this mod when they are so heavily limited that people are literally incapable of using them? At this point, all the supposed "work" that went into developing jump drives, player docking, and cloaking devices might as well have not been done in the first place. Better to leave features out entirely than give players false hope that this mod might actually do something interesting.

Beyond that, why promote this as a "role-playing" server when it has become abundantly clear that the developers and admins have no interest in roleplay at all? The FLhook auto-tech system literally defecates on every single bit of cross-faction RP that has ever been done on this server, and the only real justification for its "we're tired of dealing with sanction reports so we're finding a lazier way to do things." Roleplay died here long ago, and it's been used as nothing more than an excuse for pvp ever since - dont delude yourselves otherwise.

I came back hoping that 4.86 would make this community better, and as someone on skype so simply put it: 4.86 is making more people leave than come back. We have talented developers here, and I respect them for the work they're trying to do to improve this mod, but the politics interfere too much. It doesnt matter how good a ship model is, or how detailed a system is, or how cool a weapon or effect looks - if all the petty disputes between admins and players get involved, the end product will end up failing.

I've already given away my ships to the factions they belonged to, so dont ask for my stuff, you wont get it. I dont know what will become of the OSD, and as callous as it sounds I dont really care, only two members of the faction other than myself ever tried to put any effort into it or make it work, and I dont see it lasting long after my departure. I dont think it will come as a surprise to anyone here that a faction dedicated to -real- roleplay fails while dozens of factions based on nothing but pure pvp prosper.
Isn't this just a beta?
You have a point. I'll just wait and see what comes after beta, if nothing improves, off I go too.

Anyways, enjoy whatever you're planning to do and thanks for that Irra.
Giving up after the first day? Wow.

Whining about a beta release? Wow.

Quitting because something new (in beta phase) isn't to your liking? Wow.

Attention-whoring to the max? Wow.

Give the mod a freaking chance, it's just been out for a day. The next update will probably come in a matter of days, so just chill out.
' Wrote:Isn't this just a beta?
More like alpha.

Tenacity, i think things will get better and better, no need to rush things. Wait and see and you will realise that it was a wrong choice:)

I've already encountered such troubles on Battlefield 3 (game paid) and i've took myself a small break from it the first days it came out even that i was so eager to try it. After 2-3 days it was playable not fully mode not even now it's fully playable but if you like something you need have patience.

Try occupy your time with something else than geting on server play 5 minutes then crash.

But if this is your final choice all i can say good luck mate in real life and have a new happy year.
Bugs I can handle, despite the fact that 4.86 was supposedly in internal testing for more than a year. What bothers me is the direction the mod's "balance" is taking, they're homogenizing the entire game in a vain attempt to create a level playing field for pvp purposes while taking away everything unique. It's been going on for a long time now, 4.86's issues are just the final straw for me.

I guess you can say this is my new year's resolution: to stop being drawn to the pile of dung by a few shiny flecks of glitter on its surface. False hopes, false promises, ruined expectations. Not all of 4.86 is bad, but the good bits arent enough to outweigh 4 years of decay.
I heard you can be unique without your guns being so.

I also heard that we have a nice bunch of dev's who's eager to hear feedback after we -did- experience how are the long term-effects of their balance conception.

EDIT: Ooow, the nostalgia, it was a long time ago when I confused forum-accounts.. Ahh well..

EDIT EDIT: Was cruise drain -that- bad as you initially said?
If ships were ment to be unique why people bothered to get a Liberty Dreadnought with Zoners guns (Most OP guns in 4.85) then pvp with them. <- Example

If you want to have an unique ship for RP purpose i don't see why you need that fully powerplant.

I'm respecting tons of people on this community beacuse it's the most comical community i ever found. Dramas on discovery are the best moments as they make me laugh. Devs? They need the respect otherwise we wouldn't be here QQ-ing, laughing, pew pewing, creating dramas etc.
Andddd Connan The Barbarian needs a vodka for working his ass off to make this server stable on his free holidays.
drain - It was needed because people were abusing it on bigger ships (RM BS) vs smaller ships (Lib dread) and they couldn't stood a chance.
PS. I'm planning to make my Liberty Dreadnought to shoot rainbows
Im gonna start referring to ragequitting with a giant whine thread as "pulling a Tenacity", with your permission, of course.

enjoy your break, and see ya in a few months.
I think we can wait ,and Give more time to it and Help out devs and admins to Fixing issues we are Facing by reporting bugs rather then Leaving.:nono:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5