Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Overheating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My computer tends to overheat rather quickly and then it restarts. I come up with being in the middle of Omega 41 around bunch of Corsairs:)I do sometimes open the box and get rid of some dusts. Carefull, though, we dont want to pull in any microschemes, do we?

Anyway, this is a common problem. Do you know of any practical measures to reduce or slow down the overheating procces? Or should I just ditch of my radiator and suffer inevitable cold?
A couple of things. First, identification. Get yourself a temperature monitor (like Everest Home Edition 2.20 [the only free version]) and check what in your system is causing the problem. The tied and true way to do that is to just play until it starts overheating (like beeping like you said) and then check the offending computer part. Then comes step two which involves buying some new cooling for the offending part:P

And.. that's about it:PI used to have this problem with my GFX card until I bought some new cooling. Ended up overclocking the beast and now it's even better. Unfortunately that's how it is:P

Stuff a couple of extra fans in it. It often works and the outlay is virtually nothing.
One thing I will say, bear in mind the extra noise if your in the living room or somewhere with other people.
Other than that, identify the hotspot like Blodo says and get something more target specific.
If there is dust in there, then its probably all through the various heatsinks.

Take the sides off your pc, and take it to the closest air compressor. Give it a good blast to get all that dust out of the case and components. Just be sure to hold fans still with your finger while you're cleaning them out. The air can spool the fan past their intended rpm and screw the bearings.
my cousing put a fan next to his pc and has it blowing on the side of the actuall machine. He also took the side off.
He lives in spain, and it gets hot there so yeah.
Side taken off and fan blowing in there. Works better for him.
Pagrindinė plok?tė 33 C (91 F) <---- its main hardware
CPU 71 C (160 F)
PWM 72 C (162 F)
Maxtor 6Y080M0 37 C (99 F)

I know that CPU stands for Processor, but PWM?
' Wrote:Pagrindinė plok?tė 33 C (91 F) <---- its main hardware
CPU 71 C (160 F)
PWM 72 C (162 F)
Maxtor 6Y080M0 37 C (99 F)

I know that CPU stands for Processor, but PWM?

PWM should be the GPU.
If these are the temperatures in desktop mode they are too high.

Christ, Simon. Want me to post my temperatures for comparance?

Motherboard 46 C (115 F)
CPU 38 C (100 F)
North Bridge 52 C (126 F)
GPU 42 C (108 F)
Seagate ST3160811AS 40 C (104 F)

See it? Your CPU and GPU one is WAY off the hook. You really need some new cooling for those two. What I have is I have a Pentagram Cu-80 for the CPU and a Zalman cooler on the GPU. A Zalman might be a tad bit expensive so you might want to get a Arctic Cooling one instead or something. Nevertheless, I think there are your problems.
Those CPU temps might be okay depending on the Make/Model of the CPU.

Also are they load or idle temps?
Not exactly. 70 C is really reaching the breaking point. If it's not gonna outright fry the CPU, it's gonna reduce it's lifespan severely. It applies to any CPU really.
Pages: 1 2