Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: About sigs again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another of my sig.

[Image: bfi1326128259x.jpg]

Of course, I can add more things, but is the concept and idea good? And how much would the worth of one sig like this one be? (With more things added) ?

Thanks.
Yes, the idea is pretty good, but I somehow dislike the font, it is somewhat.. ordinary.
some free fonts

good font is a basic thing.
I think the aspect ratio of the Liberty logo is a bit off, one should always watch to keep those. Also the black-background without any border will not be popular. In this case, I'd use transparency and some border around the logo/text. If nothing else than a stroke of 1-2px. And a minimal shadow.

What program do you use?
As said, choose your type face wisely depending on the style on the signature.

On this specific one, try lowering the opacity of your front layer to around 80%, so you can see some of the original background as well. Keep aspect ratio, maybe add a border. In fact, make the font a clipping mask too to fit in with the logo.

Finally, as I said before, spend more time thinking about your design before you start working. Skills and techniques, however good they are, are worthless with a bad composition.

' Wrote:What program do you use?

gimp

1. The image of LN star is distorted.
2. If you want to go with this minimalistic style, thats fine. But in this scenario you need to spice up the rectangular shape. You might want to cut it around the star and around the text, making it an up side down T shape. Then make some transparent hole in the black BG, perhaps use some techno brashes or lines to create something abstract. That is where you have to turn on your imagination.
3. I think the font is good. It is simple and strict. After all we are trying to represent a military faction, no a fancy trader, freelancer, miner. As I said, the font is strict, easy to ready, sort of in your face, thus delivering the message straight to the point, no bull...
3. You can add some blue/white, red/blue/white gradient to it, making iy a bit more complex in design.

Art is unique. Everyone is different, do what you like, work on it and you will develop your OWN style.
If I were you, I would worry about Gimp skills and no the composition at first. Once you get more familiar with that program, all you will have to do is to jot down a simple design on the paper, using pencil or ink pen and then transfer it into digital format. When you transfer designs from paper into digital media you always add new stuff, like shadows, strokes, gradients, additional shapes, etc. After a while the image evolves into something that you either like or not like.
If you are serious about graphical design, you need to read up on drawing techniques, lightning, shadowing, composition, object flow, focal point, negative and positive space, font usage, the way human eye operates, colors.

To sum it all up: If you good with GIMP, but don't know what you want, nothing interesting will come out, except some abstract designs. If you do know what you want, but your GIMP skills are weak, again, nothing major will come out. You might find the golden middle and go from there.
Most importantly, you should never give up on your goal. I will tell you right away, your signatures will suck at the beginning, but as you grow and develop yourself further, you will gain skill and experience and the style you are developing into.
Do not delete your work. Get a CD-RW, or DVD-RW and save all your projects, put them online and visit your page once in a while. You will see your progress and it will give your the motivation to move further.

On this note I am wishing you good luck. Talk to Anomander, he uses gimp, he basically started from scratch and now he is making awesome signatures. That is the person you really need to get some advice from. Better yet, look at his personal page and you will see his artistic development.