Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Independent Traders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
First, I got no response about whether or not I had to jump through any hoops to make a poll, so if I have to, please forgive me. :$

Second, I think we have way too many independent traders. They should be rarer than corporation traders, simply because the average person shouldn't really have 4,000,000+ credits for a Transport and Equipment, yet there are still a million and a half of them without any RP behind them. I know there are those people like Xing who have amazing RPs for their independent traders, but this is one of those situations where the majority of people outweigh the few.

So, in order to reduce the number of independent traders I thought it would make more sense if independent traders could only have a freighter, since they should be lower on money than people given transports by corporations. The third option was just for people like Xing who do have amazing RPs for their independent traders and really want to keep their transports.

Please, after you vote, leave a reasoning as to why you voted how you did, and if you voted nay for the first one, and yes for the second, please leave the name of the corporation you would trade for.

Thank you for any responses.
I actually feel a little bit victimized by good trader rp.
My trader (Ch.ConFed.Shipping) is obviously by name a trader. I hate seeing charcters with random name flying trader ships and with the weirdest tag and ID. Zoner tag and Id traders shouldn't exist, I have a trader ID and interspace tag, that makes sence. I actually have a whole story behind my trader, but haven't uploaded it yet.
So I said no to the freighter only, I like being independant and actually having a story and a great name and such.
I would still trade because I need to make money, probably end up joining a faction though.
And if it does by any chance happen I would try to get a transport.
Yet another topic that's been done to death, on the one hand you have those who believe that there isn't anyway that someone can raise the capital to buy and run a Transport vessel, on the other hand you have those that say it's possible and even probable. My personal opinion lies somewhere between the two camps, yes it's possible that an individual person can operate a transport, but it should be a rarity not the standard, however asking the admins to grant the right to use transports to any one with a suitable RP and a generic ID is asking them to add yet more work onto their caseload, a move I can never get on board wih. Yes they already grant Terrorsists IDs with suitable RP, but those are a rarity and a trader with a transport is common as muck, I believe the Trader ID as well as the Smuggler ID need a huge overhaul, but I don't think removing Transports from the Trader ID is a good idea.
its rubbish. - with ship prices in the low billions - it is simply necessary to haul the big amounts. - how can you have "too many independent traders" ? - will it end with "move transports into the guard systems?

or, better - why not implement a hardcap for non playerfaction players - so they cannot raise their rank / cash above 3 million ( lvl39, civilian )

for real - its becoming silly.
I think this poll and topic is made wrong... what I am fully for is.

1 Generic trader as Freighter max

2. Trading factions ID just as now and allows transports

No need for admins or anything. Better have 90 Interspace commerce traders and 10 others. Than 80 "trader IDed" transports.
: but whats the difference? - really...

its like the merc ID and the BHG - when mercs were allowed he same, 90% were mercs.. then mercs were neft to gunboats - and now we have 90% BHGs - hasn t made the BHGs any better, nor the attitude of the people. - actually, it ruined the BHGs quite some.

before - the BHGs had some sort of a good reputation - people that liked ot actually play BHG, and fly aroud with a big bullseye on their hull, instead of a ooRP merc with the ship he liked and the weapons he liked.

now the bhg is yelled and flamed at all the time. - great developement, indeed. - if we went that way - the few RPers that do faction trading will be ruined.
Quote:its rubbish. - with ship prices in the low billions - it is simply necessary to haul the big amounts. - how can you have "too many independent traders" ? - will it end with "move transports into the guard systems?

or, better - why not implement a hardcap for non playerfaction players - so they cannot raise their rank / cash above 3 million ( lvl39, civilian )

for real - its becoming silly.

My, my that is not what I meant at all. For what does a person have such need for low billion ships? That is what a generic trader is, really, just a normal person who managed to learn how to fly and get a ship, or at least how I understand it. Player factions who have traders to fund them should be fully capable of making an RP for their traders, I mean, just look at the KNF, they have it exactly right in my eyes, wiht all their traders being Kishiro aligned. In the case of pirates like the Hessians, they could use Daumann traders, like they have a leak inside, in the case of the Lane Hackers, Ageira, and so on and so forth.

' Wrote:I think this poll and topic is made wrong... what I am fully for is.

1 Generic trader as Freighter max

2. Trading factions ID just as now and allows transports

No need for admins or anything. Better have 90 Interspace commerce traders and 10 others. Than 80 "trader IDed" transports.

Maybe it was just the way I worded it, but this is what I meant.

Quote:: but whats the difference? - really...

its like the merc ID and the BHG - when mercs were allowed he same, 90% were mercs.. then mercs were neft to gunboats - and now we have 90% BHGs - hasn t made the BHGs any better, nor the attitude of the people. - actually, it ruined the BHGs quite some.

before - the BHGs had some sort of a good reputation - people that liked ot actually play BHG, and fly aroud with a big bullseye on their hull, instead of a ooRP merc with the ship he liked and the weapons he liked.

now the bhg is yelled and flamed at all the time. - great developement, indeed. - if we went that way - the few RPers that do faction trading will be ruined.

Well then, it makes more sense for Interspace to have a huge fleet than having a fleet of independents, now doesn't it? Maybe its just my pirating as the FA and having every single encounter be the same that made me do this. I don't know, but I just hate seeing what I think is a backwards scenario, and want to know what everyone else thinks.
' Wrote:: but whats the difference? - really...

This is a damn good point, if you nerf the generic Trader ID it's not actually going to improve anything, they'll just get an Interspace ID and do the diamond run anyway, the only thing that will change will be that instead of a bunch of OORP traders we'll have a bunch of OORP Interspace employees...

As a BHG I attract some flak for not charging at a pirate everytime I see one, am I to be yelled at for not sticking to a prescribed route as my IND trader as well?
Jinx, I'm sorry, but there is a difference. Pirate factions, by RP, are supposed to target certain trader factions. Take, for example, the Xenos. They target foreign shipping mostly, and leave domestic shipping (Universal) alone for the most part. The FA and LWB target Synth Foods, the Hessians target Dauman/Kruger, the Unioners target Republican, etc. etc.

So, when it comes down to that, what? "Our faction goal is to run Synth Foods out of Kyushu" or "Our faction goal is to stop foreign shippers from entering Liberty". Where are they?! If this was how it went, we'd sit on our hands all day, nothing more than common criminals mauling 'independents' because there would be no RP targets as above mentioned.

That's just my 2 cents. I voted Yay, yay (cuz my trader is Smuggler ID'd, which wouldn't be removed, I think), and NO. Admins have enough work as it is. If it changes, that's too bad for those precious few indy traders that have an RP for it. Workload of the admins getting heavier outweighs their RP, I'm sorry to say.
' Wrote:Jinx, I'm sorry, but there is a difference. Pirate factions, by RP, are supposed to target certain trader factions. Take, for example, the Xenos. They target foreign shipping mostly, and leave domestic shipping (Universal) alone for the most part. The FA and LWB target Synth Foods, the Hessians target Dauman/Kruger, the Unioners target Republican, etc. etc.

So, when it comes down to that, what? "Our faction goal is to run Synth Foods out of Kyushu" or "Our faction goal is to stop foreign shippers from entering Liberty". Where are they?! If this was how it went, we'd sit on our hands all day, nothing more than common criminals mauling 'independents' because there would be no RP targets as above mentioned.

That's just my 2 cents. I voted Yay, yay (cuz my trader is Smuggler ID'd, which wouldn't be removed, I think), and NO. Admins have enough work as it is. If it changes, that's too bad for those precious few indy traders that have an RP for it. Workload of the admins getting heavier outweighs their RP, I'm sorry to say.
I concur mostly with your point, however I'm a pessimist so I don't believe that nerfing the generic ID will make people actually roleplay which trader faction they belong to. They'll just hop over to Newark, do a few Interspace missions, pick up that ID and then be off to OORP you to death on the Diamond run, same situation different ID.

As it stands the Xenos hit every trader and we hit Universal tagged and ID'd traders only if they have Xeno pilots in their hold. The FA should muller the few traders who play Synth Foods, kudos to you fellows by the way, and just pirate anyone else foolish enough to cross them. And remember we hate Ageira as much as we hate foreign shippers, and DSE are almost as bad to boot.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6