Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Some questions on Gallia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have some questions regarding Gallia, and perhaps those who are in the know could help me out *cough*Dab*cough*

So...i was looking at the map of .86, and I recalled several people saying that Gallia was practically the size of sirius.

Having NEVER traversed into gallic territory, I find myself somewhat perplexed by this.

Are gallic systems huge a la Newcastle, or do people have a hard time looking at maps? From what I see, sirius is at least 5 times bigger than Gallia. In fact, Gallia strikes me as no bigger than most other houses....for the most part anyways. So, just curious why I've read this in a few spots in the forums here.

Also, what rp backgroud does Gallia have for having superior technology if they're still A PETROLEUM based society i.e. very similiar to the resources we ourselves use on earth. Oil makes me think of rocket based technology, not superluminal jump drives, etc. etc. etc.

If someone could point me in the general direction of the justification inRP for their superior technology, I would much appreciate it, as from what I see, Sirians, with their use of anti-matter and H-Fuel, seem like they should be technologically superior.

Lastly, what is the population of the house of Gallia? I assume Sirius is in the many billions....so either Gallia is severely over-populated, or, again, I'm failing to see the justification why this isolated SINGLE HOUSE with perhaps a few billion people and PETROLEUM based technology, could overwhelm SIX HOUSES and several minor factions without even blinking an eyelash.

Perhaps, Gallia's supremacy (or "believed" supremacy) could be scaled back for .87, if we make the rp justification that it's just not making much sense (and QQ accordingly of course:P).

Any answers, insights, or random lulzy thoughts are welcome and encouraged.

Have you been away? I think everyone back in 85 just accepted that Gallia's "supremacy" made no sense, and either complained constantly about it, or filed it away with all the other things in the mod that dont make sense, and got on with their lives.

What we see in game of Gallia is only about a quarter of their systems.
One must understand, they did not have the infighting the Sirian houses did, so they could expand and expand and expand.
' Wrote:Have you been away? I think everyone back in 85 just accepted that Gallia's "supremacy" made no sense, and either complained constantly about it, or filed it away with all the other things in the mod that dont make sense, and got on with their lives.

Actually, I did take a six month break....and Gallia was already introduced by the time I got here.

Was just curious if there was any solid rp created to back up these claims a la try to explain why it is so.

If these exist, I would like to read them.

If not, why can't this be changed?

Is Igiss an infallible, unmovable discovery god, or might he say....yeah, ya know what, Gallia doesn't make sense, perhaps we took it too far, but this is easily corrected by carrying the story forward. :unsure:

But, really the point of my post was to gather information which I might find interesting. No more, no less....
' Wrote:What we see in game of Gallia is only about a quarter of their systems.
One must understand, they did not have the infighting the Sirian houses did, so they could expand and expand and expand.

Interesting insight bindo. I was unaware that the Gallia we see does not represent the entirety of the house. I find that an easy and convenient way to explain away there numerical and technological superiority, and this doesn't sit well with me, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

Why do they have to be this unstoppable force? I simply don't understand the merits of that sort of storyline.
Superior Tech:

We use Oil way more effectively in Gallia. How? No clue.

Population: crowded enough to field couple dozen Valors, couple hunfred cruisers, thousands of gunboats, millions of snubs, field that many police, and still have enough to have Maquis, Brigands, Counvil, Union Corse, and civilians.

Over 9,000,000,001.

Justification: Igiss.

:sleep:
' Wrote:Superior Tech:

We use Oil way more effectively in Gallia. How? No clue.

Population: crowded enough to field couple dozen Valors, couple hunfred cruisers, thousands of gunboats, millions of snubs, field that many police, and still have enough to have Maquis, Brigands, Counvil, Union Corse, and civilians.

Over 9,000,000,001.

Justification: Igiss.

Fair enough.

Still think it could be corrected using some common sense and good storytelling.
' Wrote:Fair enough.

Still think it could be corrected using some common sense and good storytelling.
Ever played the original single player campaign?
' Wrote:Ever played the original single player campaign?

Of course I have....and I understand where your going with that line of thought.

That being said, I still don't see why Gallia can't be "fixed", so to speak.

Perhaps Sirians tales of Gallia's superiority were overblown, as is often the case with an unknown foe. Rumors spread like wildfire, and they're often exaggerated with each re-iteration.

I think it can be pulled back, within reason, to the betterment of the mod as a whole.

Then Igiss would lose his ultimate enemy of Sirius.

Pages: 1 2 3