Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: connect the indy systems together
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
General idea is that it should be possible to travel between all of the independent systems without touching lawful space. Right now that's not possible due to a couple of gaps.

Most obvious thing that needs doing is a jumphole that connects Yukon and Baffin. This would let ships travel into Galileo and Kepler from Magellean and Cortez and the Taus without passing through lawful space. It would provide a slightly more direct route between New Tokyo and New London, but there would not be any tradelanes, and you'd have to pass through Cassini (LR) and Alberta (LH). I don't see any reason not to do this. Heck there is already a freeport in Yukon so I'm guessing somebody has thought along these lines but its not been done for some reason.

You could probably connect Magellan with Hudson by adding a jumphole between Humboldt and Hudson. Hudson-Humboldt-Kansas-Magellan would be the same number of hops as Hudson-Texas-California-Magellan so no advantage to traders. It would finally give Humboldt a reason to exist. Ships in Puerto Rico and Vespucci would get alternate routes into other parts of Liberty, but those are guard systems so they should not be trade points, so should not be an advantage to the unlawful trade routes either. I don't see any reason not to do it. Put a freeport in Humboldt while you're at it.

Connecting Galileo and Bering is the hard one. Few different options here but the route I like the most would be jumpholes for Galileo to Oita, Oita to Quebec, and New Hampshire to Hudson. This would add some purpose to those systems, while the lack of trade lanes would not make it a shortcut for lawfuls. If this were done I would ask to have the Liberty battleships removed from Quebec and New Hampshire (they can stay on guard duty in Minnesota, and leave the Rheinlanders to guard over Bremen). I would add some unlawful NPCs to these systems, and then a freeport in either Quebec or New Hampshire. Another option is to collapse Quebec and NH into a single large system that takes 10 minutes to cross, and keep it it empty.
This is a good idea. Should be able to travel in independent worlds and avoid house space - could make for some interesting roleplaying options for Unlawful and daring traders. ;)
"Few different options here but the route I like the most would be jumpholes for Galileo to Oita, Oita to Quebec,"Ursus Posted Today, 12:07 PM

Having additional jumpholes into and out of Oita wouldn't be a good idea. As the owners of the system like their privacy.
' Wrote:Most obvious thing that needs doing is a jumphole that connects Yukon and Baffin.

Deadric pushed for something like this a while back but nothing came of it. I suppose it threw off trade balance or something. But I would love to see it happen. Yukon and 14 are even more dead now then they were in .85.
' Wrote:Having additional jumpholes into and out of Oita wouldn't be a good idea. As the owners of the system like their privacy.
You've only been there for like 5 minutes

There are many plus's about this and also a few minus's smuggling would become too simple. all the pirates wouldn't have to fear the law they'd just sit in the independent systems. But these are also plus's so I'm neutral on it.
I don't see why avoiding house space is an advantage, could someone explain to me?
' Wrote:I don't see why avoiding house space is an advantage, could someone explain to me?
Does there need to be a major advantage? Idea is to have the option that is the same amount of time and hops as house space so that there is no advantage to it. Smugglers would probably benefit from it the most often since they could avoid lawfuls more easily, but other players could take advantage of it in specific situations. For example, a faction might want to move warships to another part of Sirius without having to get permission to enter the houses in between, and this would give them the option of taking the back roads. Right now we have a situation where Gallia and Liberty are separated and have to go through one of the houses, this would allow access from Liberty to the Taus without crossing the other houses. Also sometimes as a lawful I want to avoid certain areas but don't want to go all the way around the map to do it and this would provide more alternative routes of travel. That's the idea, just more ways to travel without being *required* to enter house space.
Criticizing my own proposal a bit, more I think about it the less I like the idea of using Cassini as a bridge between Yukon and Galileo. Probably should add a jump hole from Alberta to Kepler instead.

Actually Cassini was always intended to be a bridge between Yukon and Galileo, there's two non Rogue bases in there, one's DSE and one's Junker. The JH's have been moved, I suspect that ahd to do with trade balance.

As for making a JH to baffin from Yukon, that would be silly. You'd have to completely rebalance trade in order to make it work. All that work for one JH just isn't worth the hassle.

As for Oita, just because the IND have been there for not much time, doesn't mean we don't get an input into what goes where in our system. Xoria dictates where the JH's go in order to avoid screwing up trade, fortunately at the moment Oita provides no shortcuts worth taking, your proposition would change that.
Pages: 1 2 3