Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Zoner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I Repped for a zoner and bought my zoner ship, But i have been unable to find suitable reference documentation to help me own the role.

I Initially read the "DiscoveryGc wiki" Lore for zoners figuring it was a good starting point, only to find that "Live Zoners" are very far removed from there roots.

So i have a couple of questions i thus far have been unable to find answers to.

I was told O47 is a "Locked Down System" What does that mean exactly

I Know Freeports are NFZ's Ive heard it referenced that the NFZ extends for as long as the Freeport is viewable, On My PC in O47 with no interference and "Space Dust" Turned off, I can see the freeports from accross the sector clearly. Is there an official "Range" for the NFZ? (I always play with spacedust turned off)

Im also told that zoners are now at war with Corsairs, How does that work?

"The Corsair Empire, formerly a reliable and peaceful neighbor of the Consortium, lost control over it's citizens a few months after this leadership change, which led to internal strife and unrest and the forming of anarchists."

Is there a better version of this story? Why would zoners be at war with all corsairs if only some break away anarchists caused trouble?

"Their new life had to be tightly bound to a neutral attitude towards political plots and struggles"

Sounds like not so neutral stance on a political struggle to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Id love to be able to understand, It seems that the zoners have gone awol and I can't find the relevant documentation, or i don't understand the base concepts of zoners correctly.

' Wrote:I was told O74 is a "Locked Down System" What does that mean exactly
it means that only (for as far I know) zoner vessels are allowed to enter/leave that system,
O-74 is the home system for the (]o[) Omicroners,

Quote:I Know Freeports are NFZ's Ive heard it referenced that the NFZ extends for as long as the Freeport is viewable, On My PC in O47 with no interference and "Space Dust" Turned off, I can see the freeports from accross the sector clearly. Is there an official "Range" for the NFZ? (I always play with spacedust turned off)
this was (in 84 and 85) 5k range, atm I'm not so sure, cause I hear some say that the NFZ is no more
and others say there is,

Quote:Im also told that zoners are now at war with Corsairs, How does that work?
there is no war between zoners and corsairs, there are high tensions between the (]o[) Omicroners and the corsairs, for the rest of the zoners it depends on their own pov,

Quote:"The Corsair Empire, formerly a reliable and peaceful neighbor of the Consortium, lost control over it's citizens a few months after this leadership change, which led to internal strife and unrest and the forming of anarchists."

Is there a better version of this story? Why would zoners be at war with all corsairs if only some break away anarchists caused trouble?
see answer above

Quote:"Their new life had to be tightly bound to a neutral attitude towards political plots and struggles"

Sounds like not so neutral stance on a political struggle to me.
a lot of zoners came from the houses, to get together to be an individual and 'free', yet to be
able to do so you need to see everything neutral attitude, at least thats how 'I' see it..

Quote:Any help would be greatly appreciated, Id love to be able to understand, It seems that the zoners have gone awol and I can't find the relevant documentation, or i don't understand the base concepts of zoners correctly.
I hope these answers will do, more can always be asked.
Hey, Awesome thanks very much for your time. Your answers are great, but one in particular rises further questions.

"it means that only (for as far I know) zoner vessels are allowed to enter/leave that system,
O-74 is the home system for the (]o[) Omicroners"

Ok, so a non zoner enters O-74, Whats a zoner to do?

If (]o[) are choosing hostile (Like they are claiming ingame) and participating in a war (As they claim in game, as well as some TAZ) Wouldn't this actually mean they arn't zoners? They would have de
fected from the zoner way of life just like the "anarchists"

The Zoner ID's dont give us the ability to attack anyone ever, only to defend if necessary, Which, Is what zoners always have done, Try to maintain Neutrility and defend as required.

"a lot of zoners came from the houses, to get together to be an individual and 'free', yet to be
able to do so you need to see everything neutral attitude, at least thats how 'I' see it.."

Thats how i read the lore to, So how can a friendly diplomatic welcoming Group who "explores" and trades far and wide as a way of life, impose travel sanctions on others?

I really do need the answers to these questions so i can define my character, No point me telling people to go away if i can't understand a reason they can't be there.

Thank you in advance for any further enlightenment

P.S Please note, you mentioned discovery 84 and 85, thats when i used to play, back when zoners were zoners, this may be part of my confusion.

EDIT: Another question arose

How can the NFZ be "not in effect"

example:

Situation #1
If an outcast destroys a liberty ship at a freeport, by the freeports inaction, by default, the zoners have chosen to side with the outcast. Not maintaining neutrality.

Situation #2
If an outcast attacks a liberty ship at a freeport and a zoner counter attacks the outcast, the zoner has sided with liberty, by defending them

Situation #3
An outcast attacks a liberty ship at a freeport, The local zoner tells both the liberty ship and Outcast to cease fire and leave the zone. This is being neutral (In my opinion)

If the outcast or liberty ship do not Obey the zoner, the zoner may enforce the "zoners" law with force if necessary against either or both ships (which ever is failing to comply) This would still be neutral, since the zoner is only attacking an individual who would not comply, not one faction over another.
' Wrote:Ok, so a non zoner enters O-74, Whats a zoner to do?

IMO as an indy zoner you have the right to be in that system but you don't have full authority to take action against the non-zoner so you would explain to the captain that you will refer the incident to the Omicroners and let them deal with it.

If (]o[) are choosing hostile (Like they are claiming ingame) and participating in a war (As they claim in game, as well as some TAZ) Wouldn't this actually mean they arn't zoners? They would have de
fected from the zoner way of life just like the "anarchists"

This all came about after an attack by Corsairs against Freeport 9 a while back, the attack was against zoners so the Omicroners are zoners fighting for other zoners, they haven't left the fold at all.

So how can a friendly diplomatic welcoming Group who "explores" and trades far and wide as a way of life, impose travel sanctions on others?

All guard systems have restrictions, but if a captain wishes to pass through one then asking permission of the faction that owns it is a good start.

How can the NFZ be "not in effect"

Situation #3
An outcast attacks a liberty ship at a freeport, The local zoner tells both the liberty ship and Outcast to cease fire and leave the zone. This is being neutral (In my opinion)

This is the preferred way for zoners but there are different NFZ rules for each Freeport, somewhere on the forums is a thread explaining which players own which Freeports and what the NFZ rules are for each one.
' Wrote:How can the NFZ be "not in effect"

It can be ignored.

If the none Zoner side choose to ignore it then it is to all intents and purposes "not in effect", although this is a question of perspective.

Also some of the Zoner bases have declared that they will not enforce a NFZ around their base.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?...pic=118137
this and
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?...pic=117981

Zoners acting like no Zoners have RP consequences for all zoners(even for those who act like zoners) unfortunately, I would advice you to stay away from Omicroners and open comm to corsairs- bring them food 3-4 times and they will let you alive to do whatever you wish in Omicrons.
Zoners should protect each other. If one of them is threatened, the others should support.

For you, as a beginner, what happens on the forum and on the server is not what real zoners are. There are 3 official faction, each of them has its own agenda, diplomacy and playground. The Corsairs decided to go hostile on one of the zoner groups and because the other 2 groups didn't take action against the corsairs, the zoner factions can hardly be considered zoners.

So yeah, it's hard for new zoner players to understand what's happening and because of the actions of the official factions on this server, both zoner and corsair, playing a real zoner is almost impossible (no one cares about the lore anymore. The official factions that should impose the lore are the ones that derail it).

My suggestion for new zoner players is to try to get a picture of what's going on, mostly in game, go talk to the sairs (if you can... make sure you have your cruise engines ready and lots of countermeasures), go talk to the zoner factions and get the general idea. Then you can think again if you really want to play a zoner.

And Govedo, Corsairs acting like no corsairs should have consequences as well (if they wouldn't share members with other zoner factions;))
' Wrote:And Govedo, Corsairs acting like no corsairs should have consequences as well (if they wouldn't share members with other zoner factions;))
Contrary to popular belief, OSI and Corsair factions do not possess a significant amount of shared members.
I'm not even sure there's one common member.
As for the rest, he's more or less correct about the officials. They use the Zoner ID beacuse it's open-ended and adaptable with built-in planets and bases and ships and capitals and influence.
A Zoner is....
A Zoner.
I think the best way to describe them would be a analogy to tinkers or the american ideas on gypsies (not the romani ethnic group, the stereotypical lifestyle as per american culture).
' Wrote:Zoners should protect each other. If one of them is threatened, the others should support.

For you, as a beginner, what happens on the forum and on the server is not what real zoners are. There are 3 official faction, each of them has its own agenda, diplomacy and playground. The Corsairs decided to go hostile on one of the zoner groups and because the other 2 groups didn't take action against the corsairs, the zoner factions can hardly be considered zoners.

So yeah, it's hard for new zoner players to understand what's happening and because of the actions of the official factions on this server, both zoner and corsair, playing a real zoner is almost impossible (no one cares about the lore anymore. The official factions that should impose the lore are the ones that derail it).

My suggestion for new zoner players is to try to get a picture of what's going on, mostly in game, go talk to the sairs (if you can... make sure you have your cruise engines ready and lots of countermeasures), go talk to the zoner factions and get the general idea. Then you can think again if you really want to play a zoner.

And Govedo, Corsairs acting like no corsairs should have consequences as well (if they wouldn't share members with other zoner factions;))

Thats a very nice write up thank you, I understand what you said, Thats why its so hard, I used to play a zoner a Very long time ago, I know this current situation is not truely zoner, I think A pirate or nomad has got into zone affairs.

I still cant grasp the concept that that someone somewhere thinks that zoners should have hostilities with a faction because of anarchists.

Zoner factions with military influence??
Zoners imposing sanctions?

I am very intent on becoming a zoner again, But i defiantly wont be joining a zoner faction, In my opinion they are to far removed from zoner lore, Its hard enougth learning the lore and base concepts of a faction.

Learning unplaussable non-lore based modifications, Thats why i have to come here, no use reading all the good "neutral" lore when its a "hosite" environment, I may go find some sairs, without cruise engines, If my ship is destroyed while attempting diplomacy, ohh well.

As for "no one cares about the lore" I do, And so do the real zoners from time past, Im sure the real zoners are still about somewhere.

The zoners have been plagued by so much (Power traders with free movement ect) now there destroying there own independent identity (In my opinion)

Again good info all, every little bit/opinion helps me get a more objective picture, And allows me to decide what my zoner is going to know in game, and how crooked his path is going to be.

Remember that the original lore was made almost 20 years ago.
A lot can happen in 20 years.
A nation that lost a war and was wracked with economic failure became arguably the strongest power in Europe.
Pages: 1 2