Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Corporate gunboats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What options do corporate traders have regarding use of gunboats?

I've got a DSE character on another server that wants to buy a gunboat, but I'm afraid of getting a power nerf if I buy the Liberty gunboat. I know the Kusari Explorer is an option, but is supposed to be for the Kusari and Freelancers, not for use by corporations from other houses.

Possible combinations:

Corporate ID + House GB + House GB weapons = 90% power nerf?

Corporate ID + House GB + civilian GB weapons = no nerf?

I have a Gateway character on the GC server. If he buys a Bretonia GB, is there a way to avoid a nerf? He wouldn't buy the Kusari Explorer, because it is sold by Kishiro and he joined Gateway because he hates Kishiro (his ship was destroyed by a Kishiro-tagged Kusari GB when he was starting out), but the Bretonia-Kusari war ended before he could get his revenge.

Can IC use any GB from the four original houses (Liberty, Bretonia, Kusari & Rheinland)? Should IC use the Liberty GB or the Kusari Explorer?

I thought I saw a rumor posted that 4.86 would have corporate gunboats. Will the last 4.86 beta or the final update include them or are corporate players supposed to use their house gunboats?

Edited to correct a typo.
I don't have any idea what the other servers will do, but the current tech-chart used on discovery 24/7 allows house corporate IDs to use ships from the same house forces at 75% capacity but the rest of the house ships to red cell (civilian ships like the armored transports are a different category). So for DSE and IC you could use Liberty gunboats at 75% efficiency, for Gateway you can use Bretonia gunboat at 75% efficiency and so forth.

That's just the ship and you still need weapons. The disco tech-chart says house guns are 100% efficient, so no problem with those. All the corps also have access to civilian weapons, so that would be 100% efficiency on generic turrets. The generic turrets draw much less energy than the house turrets, so you probably wont even notice the 25% penalty if you stick to generics.

Another factor would be concern about taking the gunboat into other houses. It's classed as a capital ship and some houses might not like you bringing a foreign gunboat into their turf. Nobody ever complains about the Explorer being brought in but that's not a foreign power either.
' Wrote:It's classed as a capital ship
Server rules=/rp laws.
No house bans gunboats.
Some ban foreign military vessels, but not corporate or independent gunbaots.
now that you got your +1 in you can read the OP and see he's asking about military gunboats
' Wrote:now that you got your +1 in you can read the OP and see he's asking about military gunboats
Now that you've again failed to understand what it is i'm saying you can go read the laws of Sirius and see that they're talking about vessels, any vessels, actually flown by a foreign military.
As in, BAF LN RM KNF ID's.
There is no way to avoid a nerf with a corporate Gunboat, unless you have a Kusari Corporate ID with the Kusari Explorer.

IC counts as a Libertonian Corporation, and suffers the same penalties as all the other Libertonian Corps when it comes to tech compatibility.

As for guns, however, you'll have no problems with using your own House Military Gunboat guns.

Edit: On Gunboats and their use in other houses; I don't see that as being a problem. For example, Liberty Law permits (friendly) corporations to use Gunboats in Liberty House space since (a) it is not a Capital Ship of Cruiser-tonnage or greater and (b) it is not a military vessel belonging to a house at war with Liberty.
Thanks for the answers, guys.