Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: So Freighter shields
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I fly freighters, a few of them, love the boats, but I can never really settle on a type of shield to put on them.

We have
380 20950 (higher regeneration, less capacity)
320 24350 (middleroad)
250 29200 (high capacity, lower regeneration)

Each have their own advantages, like the last one takes 3 gunboat pulse blasts to take down, which is alot considering the sizes of some freighters... but I feel like the regeneration speed is a pretty big downside. I dunno, I have been told the faster regenerating one is the best, but I really have not done much testing...

What do you guys pick for your freighters?
I like the faster regenerating one, just because freighters are small-ish and its easy to shieldrun with that one. Although its not like I use freighters that much.
It depends I guess. If you don't get hit a whole lot, I'd go for top capacity. Especially if you're expecting to take on razorboats. Drawback is that a shield reset eats a lot of batteries. For average SHF and heavy bomber duty I'd say the fast regen one is the better of the mix. Considering it is weak against laser and photons - both of which aren't very popular yet...
I use positronic mostly.
The biggest question is "How fast are the shields up again?". I dunno the values for that from my head.

I often take whatever I see fitting. As the fast and the big shield have both specific classes and there are only 1 of each, I don't pick those if I'm shot at by fighters using weapons which are effective against them.
For piracy, I use the middle one. The largest one really takes too long to recharge in my taste. And with a CAU7 on your freighter, damage taken is not really an issue.
Depends on the ship to be fair, I use a middle ground shield for my Anki smuggler since I'll be running from most, if not all fights. I'd use the high regen one but honestly the Anki's big backside is just too easy to hit.
On my Freighters, I tend to use the middle one. It's a fine "middle-road" shield that's decent both with capacity and regeneration, like you said.

In my heavy bombers (which can mount Class 6 Freighter shields), I go for the low-capacity high-regeneration shields. It's still nearly twice as heavy as your standard Class 10 Fighter shield, and its quick regeneration is noticeably helpful when you've got a fighter trying to take you down.

If I were using my freighters for combat, I'd probably use the 380/20,950 shield on them, too. But I never use the 250/29,200 shield on anything anymore. It'll feel like an eternity waiting for that thing to regenerate, especially when you're under fire.
faster regens block more snacs. only needs 1 hp to neutralize

' Wrote:faster regens block more snacs. only needs 1 hp to neutralize
Doesn't matter when it comes to SNACs. The rebuild time is the same, 12 seconds for all of them I think.
Pages: 1 2