Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rule question concerning piracy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking of setting up a new pirate character, and was thinking of setting up a variation on the usual pay for passage scheme. I want to do a 2 person "protection" racket. Put one person in a fighter at the start of a trade lane (one of the few where this could be done safely) requesting a donation for the "protection" of the trade lane, then let the trader pass even if they don't pay. The second person would wait halfway down the TL in a bomber or a gunship, and would disrupt the TL and destroy the traders who didn't pay.

My question concerns the second person in the racket. Do they have to seperately warn the trader before engaging, or is the RP from the first person a good enough warning to expect consequenses for non-payment?

I thought this sort of scheme would make for some interesting RP, as well as mix up the piracy gig a little, but I don't want to end up getting sanctioned for doing it wrong.
The way the rules are written the second person must make a payment demand before the trader is 100% blown up.

Of course that means the person could be 98% blown up before that offer is made, and it does not say the offer must be either reasonable, or that the pirate needs to give the trader a specific amount of time before destroying the trader.
Not true.
Group them, and they count as a pirate 'unit' as it were.
One can ask for money, and the other can engage. Otherwise, everyone on a pirate raid for the OPG or the TBH would have to demand that I pay, which is not the case.
' Wrote:Not true.
Group them, and they count as a pirate 'unit' as it were.
One can ask for money, and the other can engage. Otherwise, everyone on a pirate raid for the OPG or the TBH would have to demand that I pay, which is not the case.

Didn't know that, cool.
As long as they are grouped, you've got a legit illicit racket going there.
' Wrote:As long as they are grouped, you've got a legit illicit racket going there.

Hehehe... legal illegal activity! This sounds like an awesome idea. I'd like to get caught by this once! That would be fun.
well if pirates dont need to give a time to pay doesn't that mean that they can blow em up in 1 second after demanding tax?
"6.19 Pirates and terrorists have a right to deal as much damage as they see fit before or after demanding money from a trader ship, but killing trader ship before demanding money is not allowed. Attacking traders or demanding cargo is not allowed for cruisers and battleships, unless cruisers and battleship belong to Terrorist ID or Phantom ID owner."

This is the rule. There is nothing that says the pirate has to wait for the demand to be met.

However it seems to be generally agreed upon that the point of a pirate is to collect cash or loot from traders, so a pirate would want to give the trader as much time as possible to pay. Most pirates on the server will stop shooting you if you as a trader stop running and tell them you will now pay.
Here's an idea for what is said during this unique pirating process:

Person at beginning of TL: *insert name*, Kill your engines! If you do not pay a fee of 2 million, then I am afraid there will be dire consequences..

Trader decides not to pay, they go through the TL..

Person in middle of TL: I am afraid it all ends here my friend, for you have failed to pay for safe passage..

*Bomber blows the trader to bits*

Just an example for a fleeing trader, to let them know you were both grouped together, as to not get flamed by the now-dead trader. This will also help prevent any sanctions the trader might impose on you, where as, the bomber just knocking out the TL and kill the trader without saying anything might get you sanctioned/banned..
there is a lot of "bending the rules" around. -

firstly, - yes, it does not say you must wait for the trader to answer. - but whats the point then? ( even if its not down in the rules, it would be a horrible example of roleplay )

about grouped pirates, - its not specificly described how it has to look like. - while your example works, - i d have a greater problem when a grouped pirate was too far away. in order to consider a group a "group", they must be a group ( not only grouped ). - that means, they must form a unit.

that is either scanner range or ( in terms of the time it takes to travel certain space.... a tradelane works, too ). it does not work when the other partner is clearly NOT in the same group, even if grouped up. - that means, in another system or so far ( in terms of time mostly ) away that no one can reasonably consider the ships to be one unit anymore.
so, no - being grouped does not make one unit. - there must be a logical link between the ships to make a group, - in that case, it would even work when the ships were not grouped ( technicly ) but seperate. ( allthough it makes no sense not to be grouped in that case )
Pages: 1 2