Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An unofficial introduction to Freelancer Discovery Roleplaying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm a new player surrounded by other new players, and i find the most common challenge for us has been learning exactly how the Role-playing Forums relate to the game server experience. I know that sounds very obvious, but I've met players in-game that have never even seen the forums, or were intimidated by them, and I feel that it diminishes both their enjoyment, and the enjoyment of the community, unnecessarily.

I therefore put together a little introduction to Discovery Role-playing as its been described to me by the more experiencd out there, as well as from what I myself have learned.

The file is currently hosted at 4shared:
http://www.4shared.com/office/s278X7ZR/Int...lancer_Dis.html

:::

In this document I just wanted to bring together all of the basic concepts of "why" the RP works the way it does, as the rules can come across as a little intimidating for anyone that misses that information.

I hope it explains things well enough to be useful to anyone just joining, who might not immediately understand just how deep the Role-playing part actually goes here :-)

Disclaimer:

I certainly don't have all the answers, and I'm probably working from a "feels right" rather "knows for sure" perspective, which I'm hoping is OK as it's the the way new players such as myself have been encouraged to progress:
To feel our way forward with humility, respect and enthusiasm for the other players - and especially the creators in this community.

Please think of this as a rough draft of a document that can be constantly improved and updated.

Any feedback and comments that you have are very welcome, and anything that anyone could add to help establish this guide further into best practices would also be very welcome.

I'm also very happy to help with further "New player"documents if anyone thinks this sort of perspective is useful.

Cheers,

Rmorph.

Very nicely written!

Starting up on Discovery can be a touch daunting, and you've done a great job of providing pointers that'll (hopefully) save a bit of frustration.

Also; this made me laugh:

Quote:"Corsairs are an empire of skilled warriors... that nonetheless have their home system invaded 5 times a night"

One tip from me. The guide is a great starting point from a 'getting to know the community' standpoint, but there's not a great deal on the nuts and bolts of what to do in-game (choosing a role, creating a character and the like.) Of course, no guide can cover everything, otherwise the sheer size of the thing'd scare people off, but if you'd like I'd be happy to write a section on choosing a role in Liberty. I've flown with the Rogue and Navy factions alternately for over a year now, so I might be able to provide a few pointers on what to expect.

Once again, brilliant effort, especially as you're only just getting started yourself. Wish I'd had half the understanding you do when I applied by poor, orphaned first character to the Rheinland Military to get revenge for his dead family.

Whoops.

- Commissar
' Wrote:Very nicely written!

Starting up on Discovery can be a touch daunting, and you've done a great job of providing pointers that'll (hopefully) save a bit of frustration.

Also; this made me laugh:
One tip from me. The guide is a great starting point from a 'getting to know the community' standpoint, but there's not a great deal on the nuts and bolts of what to do in-game (choosing a role, creating a character and the like.) Of course, no guide can cover everything, otherwise the sheer size of the thing'd scare people off, but if you'd like I'd be happy to write a section on choosing a role in Liberty. I've flown with the Rogue and Navy factions alternately for over a year now, so I might be able to provide a few pointers on what to expect.

Once again, brilliant effort, especially as you're only just getting started yourself. Wish I'd had half the understanding you do when I applied by poor, orphaned first character to the Rheinland Military to get revenge for his dead family.

Whoops.

- Commissar

Thanks for the feedback and Yes! Please!
Whatever you can add to help new players get involved in the RP side.

The factions need a good summarized description - With all their limitations and possibilities.

For example: Right now I know a handful of guys playing corsair who are meeting the limitations of the role like a brick wall.

IT would have been great to have an "Elder Scrolls"-like overview of the different races prior to character creation..
OF course theres a lot of stuff on the wiki, but it is so easily overruled by the faction decisions made online.

IF you could start with Liberty, and we can build a template out of it, maybe we can apply that template to the other factions, and get input from the experts?

With a bit of effort I'm sure we could come up with a dummies guide...

Thanks for your help!

Rmorph
Welcome to the party. Just take a look at the stories section (that's my home away from home, myself) and see some of the people writing stories. Get a grasp for how the RP on the forum and mod works overall. From there, take your stories and run with them.

That's how I learned ways back in the days of the Excelcia mod...

...I'm showing my age now. Going to go stick my head back in the sand.

Welcome to Discovery, Rmorph! PM me with any questions you might have! I'd be more than willing to help.

~Leo
Very Ambitious, well written! *tips his head*

Now translate it to RUSS and everything's just gonna by fine.