Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: External tools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it legal to use external tools that do not use the game itself; case in point, scripts that use the 'Players Online' page to generate useful information?

Legal to let a faction have access?
Legal to sell access?

Seeing that noone voulenteered to host a free-for-all version of the script I developed...

50 views, no one have a clue?
I'd really like an answer to this one =\

/w
Umm, is that what you mean like letting people know about the details of any person online in a server? What is the exact useful information?
Where people are, where they have been, which path they took, what level they are, and what ship they are flying.

All that information is available through the chat menu and the online players webpage. With a script, it can be compiled so it can be used to find out patrol paths, trade routes, smugglers...

/w

Edit: original post here
Letting people see what ship every single one of us are in and which path we take could hurt the feeling of discovering.
I see that provides detailed informatics but I'm not sure..
I want to know, because if

A) They are not allowed
The online players should be shut down. Seriously. It took me no time at all to create a tool that can remove much of the tedious parts of pirating or hunting smugglers. Someone else will, probably already has.

B) They are unregulated
Seb would sell customized 'static' versions that would be cheaper for my poor server, up to my bandwidth limit. In RP, it would make sense to allow nations to keep track of their territory, not search Sirius-wide using regexps.

C) They should be available to all
Well, someone would have to host them

/w
really if anyone was going to use it would be full-time bounty hunters or mercs looking for where their target is or currently docked so they can wait in ambush or something, it would provive them all information about their target that they wouldent have a chance against a BH who has inside intel on what your offensive and defesive capaabilities are
Well, it'd still be some guesswork involved - max resolution is system level/five minutes.

Besides, Sirius-wide searches would be kinda off, I think. That a faction can keep track of what goes in an out of their own space is more likely.
I think official factions of the caliber of, say, Lane Hackers, should have access to that kind of stuff. Militaries and police factions should have access within their defensive ZoI (basically grab reports from NPCs), as should people with good connections (Samura has people watching Kusari trade for sure). I'd leave it for official factions and indies by official faction approval, but it sounds like a decent idea... if it's allowed by rules.
Well - the problem is that there are no rules about it, and the admins stay quiet (I sent one pm, don't want to spam them). Does this make it legal?
Pages: 1 2