Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Battleship Performance Testing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be conducing some test with The Enterprise to determine the viability of using battleships...

The first test i run is weapons testing. Im testing the new weapons and rebalanced weapons of 4.79.3.

First report:

Last night, i went to Omicron Delta from NY with the Enterprise (It took me 2 hours, the asteroid fields make traveling there a hell of a pain) to get some new BS weapons.
Well, I mounted 2 Cerberus BS turrets and departed the base to test them. What I found wasnt good. 14 MF turrets (600 energy drain each), 1 Solaris Chaingun and the 2 Cerberus consumed so much power that the energy was drained in less than 15 seconds.

The damage the weps do is ~ok, but the energy they use is way too high... And I had 15 MF turrets, which do good damage with little energy... Imagine a ship completely outfitted with Cerberus'... it would run out of energy in 1 - 2 rounds...

Conclusion: BS weapons still use too much energy for the punch they offer. They are not viable, even for the most powerful BS out there. It is still prefereble to mount fighter turrets instead of BS turrets.
Power usage of those weapons should be diminished so they became more eficient.

I will be testing the other weps tonight. You are welcome to join me.
Actually, I need another player with a BS to do a bit of PvP to determine how new shields behave in combat.

Another thing i found was that the increased mass of BS is not enough to avoid the problem it was ment for. When a fighter collided the BS, the BS still went of course. Battleship feel more realistic now, but when a fighter rams you, you are still "shaken" off course.
Korrd,Mar 23 2006, 04:02 PM Wrote:Another thing i found was that the increased mass of BS is not enough to avoid the problem it was ment for. When a fighter collided the BS, the BS still went of course. Battleship feel more realistic now, but when a fighter rams you, you are still "shaken" off course.
[snapback]14921[/snapback]

I've read that custom moments of inertia and impulse forces are only used in the single player side of the game, and that one common value is used for all ships on a multiplayer server. Since digital anvil never planned on capital ships appearing in online play, the single value is optimised to give decent physics to fighter impacts.

I don't have any stats or programming to back that up, but it would explain why the battleships still spin like a top when hit, regardless of the mass assigned to them.
Korrd, I have BS in Delta at the moment, same sort of journey as well. Give me a
shout on here or a pm if you need me.

Hoodlum.
Test number 2 report:

As Kane said in another post, BS in 4.78 had to worry a lot about fighters tripulated by Players. Well, no longer now. Battleships are now something to fear once again. I was able to defeat 2 lvl10 fighters, attacking me at the same time, with Enterprise without loosing shields. It took me a while to take down Wulf's Eagle and Dab's Raven Claw, they are tough to take down.

Weapon tests with the help of [TC]Winchester, Dab and Wulf:
The new Inferno cannon is ok. Good shield damage/power usage. It looks cool too. Made me remember star trek voyager photon torpedoes. It could use a bit more of projectile speed so it looks cooler... I allways thought that wepaons if FL were too slow.
It takes 12.8% of a BS shield That means that a BS shield can be taken in 8-9 shots with only one emitter.

The Cerberus BS turret uses too much power. Powr should be reduced a bit. I understand that those weps werent meant for mounting 20 in a BS. But with stock weps, a BS runs out of energy in a few rounds... Now adding 2 or 3 of those new turrets will make impossible BS PvP.

The new BS torpedoes are too slow for attacking a BS. those are easily dodgeable and can be destroyed with missiles before reaching the target. I think that the best way to use them would be firing them from long distance against a target (say 1-2k), so those things should be fast (maneuverability is ok as it is now) and have a good explosion range (200-300m).
I recomend increasing their speed from 124 to 200-300 m/s (related to range, the torps should reach target in 4-5 second from max distance) and explosion range to 200-250m

Next test will be with stock weapons of the house BS.

Thanks to all people who helped me with testing. :)

P.D: Igiss/wolf, i would apreciate if you can add a couple hundred mills to my [AW][Korrd]Enterprise char. Testing those things costs a lot, and im running low on cash.
Yes the new BS is much better against fighters now.

But there is one thing that needs fixed on the fighter's end of the testing. The supernova mine does more damage than a Nova torpedo and has a 300 explosion range when the torpedo has 100. The nova torpedo should be strnger than the mine. Reduce the explosion range to 125m and the damage done to only 35,000 hull 17,500 shield.

Mines where meant for dogfighting and torps for use against capital ships. Well atm the mines are of no use in a dogfight as if it hits the target it hurts you too. I dropped a mine once got 250m away and 2 people and me all died in the blast.
Korrd, I pretty much agree with everything you said there... I appreciate the amount
of work you are putting in for our benifit. Any further help help required, please just
just give me a yell. The BS will stay in Delta for now.
The mine thing with Dab and Wulf was spectacular and hardly dented the shields....
More please...

Hoodlum :laugh: