Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Open Research Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Afternoon Discovery

For a current school project in the design field.
I'm working on designing a building that fuels creativity. Before we even think of form we need to research the needs of writers, specifically composers of music and sound as it is our target users of the space.

Where do you get your inspirations from when writing?
How does the environment that surrounds you help or distract you?

Even if your not active in writing or composing feel free to give your input and experiences.
Thanks for Your time fellow Freelancers

Ivor
SIAT Undergrad
SFU Surrey, Canada

Hey SFU! UVic engineer here, but from the Lower Mainland originally. I'm a mechie, so SFU wasn't an option.

My first reaction would be acoustics above all else. If the room sounds amazing, a musician or composer will pick up on that as soon as they pick up their instrument. There is an energy to playing that picks up so much more if everything just sounds great. It's like getting a brand new set of strings on my guitar, you just want to lay into every riff you know because it sounds so much better.

And on top of that, no interruptions from the guy playing bagpipes in the next room. Sound proofing.

So, while this is a function over form argument I think your primary focus should be on awesome acoustics and excellent sound proofing between rooms.

Now, I'm not much of a composer and when I do it would be with an instrument in hand, which clearly influences the above.

Other considerations would be just having a good workspace. Lots of natural light, windows that open if desired. Structure the building to afford the best possible views. Somewhere to leave wet coats (it is Surrey/Vancouver). Easy access to all the required tools and any central building amenities or offices. Sensible floor plans that provide enough space and storage. A good HVAC system that keeps fresh air coming in, humidity controlled and so on. Air quality can have a surprising impact on mood and energy. Also, humidity and temperature will effect instruments.

Also if you have a pianist on the 5th floor, think about how he gets his instrument moved in and out when he first comes to the building. A large service elevator might be required.

In short, the best way to fuel creativity is to make sure nothing gets in the way. Make the space pleasant, sound great and hassle free. People will generally be more motivated and waste less time working through problems. Sure a unique building shape or interior may provide inspiration on first sight, but the other things become more important when someone is working there day in and out.

Well, I just through out ideas as they came. Your job to sort out what applies and what doesn't, but hopefully that helps.
Thanks for the response.

Building is based in Seattle. Specifically the Seattle Sculpture Park by Weiss/Manfredi.

Quote:Structure the building to afford the best possible views.
My group is avoiding it as the main focus. Because it is a generic requirement of creativity. Quite bland and not much thought put into it when it is brought up.
A nonstatic environment. Use for instance running water over clear glass with light shining through the glass plate's length. The refraction will cause the plate to shimmer as water runs over it. Creativity is fueled not by structure, but the absence thereof. Random patterns force the mind to lay structure into it. The human mind is geared that way. In trying to find patterns where none exist, random thoughts come into focus, and ideas form.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for input Doleo
All feedback helps. More data to pool from when creating the overall form.
sound proofing, not acoustics, unless you're expecting only one composer at a time.

light. oodleplexes of light, and windows that you can look out of, not ridiculously high up in the ceiling or something. failing a decent view, slap in some (3d?) plasma screens with a slide show.

alternatively, if you cannot have those, make a central lightwell, slap gravel into it, surround it with glass, and make a japanese garden. the simplicity means that the brain can look for patterns, layering complexity where none exists.

soft-close doors and windows EVERYWHERE... hearing a squeaky door close for the umpteenth time while im trying to concentrate, the next one through the door might just receive a pencil in the neck.

K.I.S.S. keep it simple, <student>; basically, a good design isn't one that merges perfectly with the available topography, that's FLW's idea, and he built sugar cube houses, a good building design is one where the construction in switzerland is as good as the construction in swaziland, and that can only come from simple materials, simple angles, and simple aesthetics.

TL:DR simple please.