Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Turret view controls bugs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I decided to experiment with adding a second set of controls for when I'm using turret view.

For this, I assigned I K J L as pitch up, pitch down, turn left and turn right, respectively.

The first problem I encountered is that when I hold down L to turn right, the ship turns to the right but the camera also wants to orbit to the right, moving counterclockwise. And vice versa, when I hold J to turn left, the camera orbits left, clockwise. This is very annoying. I would prefer that the camera just not rotate at all when I hold down L/J, but if anything, when I go to turn right, the camera should orbit to the left at the same rate, so that it maintains the same position relative to the ship. Right now, whenever I go to turn, the camera and my ship want to 'meet head on', if you will.

The second problem is that sometimes when I hold down L/J, the camera orbits the ship as described above, but the ship itself doesn't turn or stops turning while I'm still holding the key down. In the latter case, I'd suspect an intermittent connection in my keyboard, except the camera continues to orbit.
The first problem is a known bug in the current release. It was working fine before.

The second thing is because you have switched from keyboard to mouse flight. If you are in keyboard filght the directional keys move the ship (modulo the bug above), but when you are in mouse flight the directional keys move the camera.
You do realise that you have to press spacebar for turret steer to work properly?

You then use the mouse to control camera view.
' Wrote:The second thing is because you have switched from keyboard to mouse flight. If you are in keyboard filght the directional keys move the ship (modulo the bug above), but when you are in mouse flight the directional keys move the camera.

When you are in turret view, mouse flight does not steer the ship. It steers the camera around the ship, as if you were holding mouse1. You can then use the keys I mentioned above to steer the ship independent of the camera. When I'm in mouse flight, the second bug I mentioned does not occur. The ship always steers when you hold down turn left/right.

When you are in turret view but not in mouse flight, however, is when the bug occurs. While not in mouse flight, you can hold down mouse1 to keep the camera steady with respect to space around you while you hold the turn key and your ship turns. You can also not use the mouse at all and just let the ship and camera turn. Either way, sometimes your ship will stop turning even though you're still holding the turn key. If you weren't using mouse1 to hold the camera steady, your camera will orbit around your ship but your ship won't be turning.

This is easy to see when you zoom out a ways and have a fixed object in space (like a station) to compare your ship's heading to.
This bug still happens in update 4.
' Wrote:This bug still happens in update 4.
Meh:unsure:
Sadly this is not likely to be fixed. I spent ages on it but made little progress.
Thank you for trying and for all the other work everyone has put in.:)
' Wrote:Sadly this is not likely to be fixed. I spent ages on it but made little progress.
It was working properly in update 2