Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Dawn of War: Winter Assault
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right, so I've been thinking about getting DoW: WA. The reviews on Amazon weren't the most enlightening though they all agreed on it being a good game. Some gameplay videos on Youtube looked pretty interesting too.

Has anyone here played it? Is it worth the few Euros?
I played it at an internet cafe. LAN games can be pretty fun. Though there are better rts out there. But if your into warhammer i'd definitely buy for a few $
Curious, why just Winter Assault? If I was you, I'd go for Dawn of War 1, Dawn of War Winter Assault and finally Dawn of War Dark Crusade to get the best experience. For me, (A 'Build a base and kick ass with an army' kinda gamer) It is awesome. If you enjoy Company of Heroes, you'll enjoy it too I guarantee.

The actual game Winter Assault is good, its the Imperial Guard expansion pack for the original. So its a IG campaign and the units are good, the graphics are good and enjoyable whilst also playable for most computers. Not too much on multiplayer anymore I'd assume due to the age but a great game to have fun with. I'd defiantly re-buy my copy and I recommend you to get it.
Well, I read that Winter Assault was better than Dawn of War 1, and since I'm really only looking for a pass-time in between finding a Freelancer-replacement, I thought I'd get only WA.

But I just found the Imperial Guard Edition on Amazon. 6'‚¬ for both DoW and WA.
Dark Crusade is superior for offline play. Online requires you to have the previous games in order to use the races featured in those games; otherwise you're stuck with necrons and tau.
God, how could I forget my own thread...

Well, I've become a fan of online play, so I guess Dark Crusade won't be bought. Also, it's more expensive on Amazon >_>

Anyhow, SW Battlefront 2 just arrived, so I'll be busy with that for a while.
' Wrote:Well, I read that Winter Assault was better than Dawn of War 1, and since I'm really only looking for a pass-time in between finding a Freelancer-replacement, I thought I'd get only WA.

But I just found the Imperial Guard Edition on Amazon. 6'‚¬ for both DoW and WA.

You're really only getting one third of the game when you buy just one of the DOW1 games.
I'd recommend getting a pack of all four, though Soulstorm was a bit of a let down.

Each one gives you two races (the original giving four), so it really opens up your options.

If you plan to play online, I definitely recommend buying them all.
If it's just for SP, you can pick and choose.
Buy them all.
Dawn of War
Winter Assault
Dark Crusade
Soulstorm

then play all the Dawn of War II:DIts one hell of a story.

But on topic - winter assault is great albeit short. But worth it.
Soulstorm has all races playable in SP, but the campaign moved from linear missions to risk-style attack-territories-and-then-defend-yours thingamajang. While the new races are enjoyable, the campaign is extremely redundant. MP-wise, it might be the best 1st gen DoW choice due to all the previous and new races available. And you just cannot miss MULTIPLE SIMULTANEOUS DEFENSIVE DEVASTATING DEEPSTRIKES
DoW is a epic series, everyone of them is awesome. Though the newer ones add in epic graphics. I used to play Age of Empires until I got into warhammer.
Pages: 1 2