Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: effects for double-barreled weaps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking at some of the double-barreled guns and wishing we could get some kind of double-firing animation. Now I'm wondering if its possible with paritcle effects, or worst case can it be faked with a flash-delay-flash effect? On the latter, the Kusari guns show 2x the flashes for the projectiles, so maybe that would work, although its unfortunate that the munition itself is only a single flash.
It's possible. Check out Shattered Worlds: War Torn. They have some good looking double-barrel gun effects.

If you jump straight into the single player (it's the vanilla campaign), you'll notice it when you go to rescure Prison Ship XT-19 near Pittsburgh. The turrets on it make that ship look cooler than you've ever seen it.

Unfortunately, Disco seems to lack dedicated "effects" modders. It's an awful shame.

Edit: Not sure whether it's a double-shot munition or just a double beam effect. A tad more technical than my current knowledge.
Nope, can't be done. Just like beams, model animation, and dynamic exploding asteroids.
It can be done, in two ways:
1: Projectile animation is altered to make the single bolt into two, but still using the single projectile animation.
2: Multiple firing points are defined on the turret. This has the effect of launching multiple actual shots. IE a pulse cannon with 2 firing hardpoints would fire 2 pulse shots, and require double the firing energy. It'd be basically like having 2 guns in 1.

Tycho, sarcasm aside, are you volunteering as an ALE effects animator or model animator? These things are all possible, but a HELL of a lot of work to do. And I hear a lot of "yus we wants" but not many "I want to help do this".
' Wrote:2: Multiple firing points are defined on the turret. This has the effect of launching multiple actual shots. IE a pulse cannon with 2 firing hardpoints would fire 2 pulse shots, and require double the firing energy. It'd be basically like having 2 guns in 1.

devide damage by 2, done?
' Wrote:Tycho, sarcasm aside, are you volunteering as an ALE effects animator or model animator? These things are all possible, but a HELL of a lot of work to do. And I hear a lot of "yus we wants" but not many "I want to help do this".

I think it's pretty evident that I have my own project to work on, but thanks for finally offering.

Besides, Cannon says my effects don't work or something anyway *Cough*HF Capguns*Cough* and I think Nico likes his current position just fine.
Old mortar was yours? A bit oversized, but otherwise I don't see an issue with them. Good luck with whatever you're currently working on.:)
' Wrote:2: Multiple firing points are defined on the turret. This has the effect of launching multiple actual shots. IE a pulse cannon with 2 firing hardpoints would fire 2 pulse shots, and require double the firing energy. It'd be basically like having 2 guns in 1.
I got to testing this and yep pretty simple--define additional HpFire0N hardpoints and they are all used. BUT the fire sound effect stops working and you have to link the sound to the projectile instead, but that effect loops as long as the projectile is added so you have to stretch out the sound to make it play only once. Alternatively you can link to to the turret flash effect but that will only be audible to ships that are close to the turret, but it some cap weapons may not be audible to ships at range (including the target).

Anyway yes its possible and not even difficult just a little tedious