Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: We need to change Discovery mod!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I hate the combat in this game.

Partly because the game does NOTHING to teach players HOW to fly their ship properly for PvP.

For instance, NPC's are so crap you don't need to know how to maneuver at all, just dodge and pew pew.

But as soon as it comes to PvP everyone has to know all the same tricks and moves as everyone else, and even have to set up there controls differently from what you would logically set them to on a keyboard, just to make use of the more 'special' controls.

All I see now is the true Age of this game showing, the way the ships move and the way the guns move and shoot are all messed up and don't follow a logical system.

I would take it all down to basics again, even simplifying the movement and or weapons of the original system.

It certainly put me off playing anything other than a Trade character, All I see is people whining about being ganged up on. Or complaining about Balance issues, exploits and etc...

If a simple and reliable system of combat was developed within the limitations of this game you could then balance the ships accordingly.

It just feels like things are just getting more and more complicated and clogging up the game, like we didn't have enough Factions and in-game Laws, Wars, Alliances and Truces between everyone...

Would be simple enough if everyone HAD to belong to an NPC faction and there was none of this 'Freelancer IFF Pirate ID' player faction business... how about a faction of NPC Pirate Freelancers?

I think I am probably going to leave Discovery Mod and this game, it's been practically the only game I've played over the years and I could have moved on to EVE online or some of the other space trading games.

The biggest issues with this Mod in general have been the Dependency on this Forum for not just the Server Rules, but practically everything else. So much RP goes on in the forums it leaves people with less time playing the actual game!

A spring clean of the Forum and a simplified back to the original game of Freelancer for the Mod is needed IMO. There are far too many Sub-Factions now.

A simple rule such as: Player name must be X characters long without any kind of special characters, after name comes Clan or faction tag withing [].

Or give players more choices for there /restarts...

I'm tired now so meh...
All I understood from your post is that you are tired and everybody should belong to an NPC faction.
For PVP help there are tons of people here willing to teach, and you can just go to Connecticut and practice there for a while.
Then ask players to teach you in PvP, really. There's a bunch of people on this server who're willing to, and if not, just check in to Connecticut for a while. You'll die a lot, but you'll soon notice your improvement.
Join RHA, we'll comprehensively teach you how to fly [Image: emoticon-0157-sun.gif]

As to the dependency on the forum... it's still less than it used to be actually. More people are simply organising to do stuff ingame than post on the forum all the time. Of course to each his own, in another thread posted in last few days people were complaining that there is not enough forum RP. So take into account that side as well.
Don't, RHA sucks. )
Practice and train comes prior to whine and Q_Q.

Connecticut is your place.
So this is your opinion after playing Discovery for two weeks?

However, I guess it's time for you to join some faction(s).
I think I see what you mean, BlackPixie.

There are a lot of ways this mod has become different from the game, and certaom things, which were not existant or not really known about in the orriginal game have become very important:

-The rep, iff and id system. Central part of playing. But... what a bummer. There is no way a player will know how to fix his own rep and iff, without him bumping into another player, and that player telling him "you are violating rules with your setup". And then he has to get luck for someone to take the time to explain it to him. Because there is no ingame readable help (and if there even is a forum help its very hard to find) that will tell him how he can make his iff match right. 10-30% of players will take 20-30 minutes of their time to explain it to him to the point where he really knows how to set it up. 40-50% will just say "read rules", leaving him with 10 pages of rules but still not hints on how to actually set up his rep and iff. 50-70% will just ignore him. 1-5% will maybe report for a rule violation. I think it should be easier to buy and id and set up iff. For example, make ides purchasable not at maximum green, but barely green or positive neutral, and then the ID just sets his rep like it should. Or at least make an infocard that everyone can acess where the player can read up how to set up the iff.

-You can yell at players for acting oorp, but fact is that the whole mod feels oorp. Pirates use lanes and gates that shoot them. Pirates sit in front on Manhattan for purpose of attention-whoring telling people all about how cool their character is, and when a player does the logical thing and attacks them with a police/navy character, they get yelled at "THIS IS A RP SERVER YOU PVP WHORE NOOB".

-People with enough influence in the community (or at least with the dev or admin) get to create their shoot-everything-use-everything faction, with a more than questionable RP background, which doesn't really make much sense in the Freelancer univers. Examples`? Reapers of Sirius. All I was able to understand of their RP is that they shoot people who they deem people who shoot other people, or something. Yeah right. Awesome. Or Hellfrire legion (or how they used to be, havent seen them much lately). Got a hacker iff but shout at you "I AM NOT A HACKER YOU NOOB LEARN TO RP" if you say you see a laner hacker. Also they fly around liberty shooting stuff, it being a total mystery what they want, why they want it, how they get their stuff, or why they should be strong enough as a faction to be able to do that. Oh ok. It's because they're crazy and really awesome. Nomads... ok... a vanilla faction, that should be there. But what the hell... now they are all over Sirius in little groups, for all to see, spreading telepathic messages, not only to themselves (if they are telepathic ok, they could do that) but also to humans, who are not able to do telepathy. And normally humans would destroy those little nomad groups on site right, especially since they can be seen blowing up human stuff all over Sirius? Nope. AFter the nomads flew up to you and said ***we shall see your cities burn***, and you shoot him, another human shoots you in the back and yells at you "STOP GANKING MY LEET FRIENDS!!!!!11". I think you get the idea.
-If it was easy for everyone to learn PvP well early, veterans would have stronger advsersaries to deal with. If it's only player teachable, they can choose who will become good at PvP: people that they like. Which one would you prefer?

I think the reason for all that, is the same. The mod is made and upkept by players who do it for fun, not by payed developers who are trying to make a product likeable to the broader audience. People will make stuff for themselves, and make sure its fun for the people they care about, with the broader casual gamer/noob player taking a back seat.

So I guess you (and me) could launch an apeal for devs and admins to give a little more consideration to the common player, but hey... you aren't going to pay them for doing it, so why should they? They are doing it for their own fun (and for people they care about), just like you play for your own fun and not for other people's fun. What we could do, how ever, is to find or show ways how they would also profit from something like an easier repping system, with less violation reports and a better RP atmosphere for them too.
' Wrote:I hate the combat in this game.

It certainly put me off playing anything other than a Trade character, All I see is people whining about being ganged up on. Or complaining about Balance issues, exploits and etc...

I think I am probably going to leave Discovery Mod and this game, it's been practically the only game I've played over the years and I could have moved on to EVE online or some of the other space trading games.

The biggest issues with this Mod in general have been the Dependency on this Forum for not just the Server Rules, but practically everything else.

So? Either practice and get better, or learn to accept biting the dust. Either way, just try to have fun while you're doing so - this is a game, after all.

Then RP as a trader. Or RP as a not-so-successful bounty hunter. Hell, you might end up faction leader doing that - I certainly did. (Lord knows my PVP skills suck, and simply can't get better. Not because of practice, but due to age and arthritis. Doesn't stop me from taking part in PvP battles, though.)

So could a lot of us. So if you head out after this whine fest, bye, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Either that or simply grow a pair and figure out how to make RP adapt and to NOT be so darned dependent upon PvP skills.

You can play for a long time on here without accessing the forum. But like any game, you need to find out how to play it and what the rules are. Those are here, and here only. Get over it. And get over your whining about the forum. Those of us who have real jobs such that we don't have 10 hours per day to sit in front of the game screen because we have to earn paychecks have found that filling a story out on the forum, and role-playing here on the forum as well, will ENRICH your game play. You can't do everything in game.
Pages: 1 2 3