Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lets talk about caps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
inspired by this thread; http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?...pic=122361
I pondered on something. CAPS

Do they really have any "use" of their cruise engines? I mean, think about it, ships from movies such as star trek.... they run their engines "normally" and to travel great distances they use jumpdrives or hyperdrives propelling them to almost the speed of light.

So, i figured. Caps in disco is pretty much a hassle to "balance".
Too slow and their useless, to fast and their too badass. So what if we made it all "slower" yet "faster".

Throw away the cruise engine, like completely remove it from caps. And increase their impulse speed.

Why? Well, i noticed something flying my dread around. If i EK at peak cruise speed, then tap reverse to reduce the speed to 250ish m/s..... It really doesnt take that long to fly a long distance.... even 30k isnt "that" far at around 200m/s, although in a fighter it feels like it takes ages.

So say we buffed Battleship impulse to, say 210 m/s. Faster then any fighter, but look at it this way. The ship is HUGE, to move large portions of mass you need continuous thrust more then sudden thrust increases. Infact, the only thing such a ship need sudden speed boosts for is turning, which in freelancer, is done by magically pivoting around a tiny box somewhere in the ship, instead of using bow-thrusters and stern-thrusters such as normal space-crafts.

So what is the benefit of making Battleships faster?...
First of all, many if not all that own a BS is annoyed or HATE the fact that 2 bombers WILL kill you, if they have the slightest idea of what their doing. This is an unshakeable fact.
So if your target moves faster then you, you need more bombers, and you need tactics.
More people + communication = interaction.

And there isnt ONE person within this community that can, with their hand on their chest, claim that player interactions is a bad thing.

I know that caps can be incredibly powerful with turretsteering, but that is a SKILL thing. Some has it, some dont.

but knowing that increasing battleship speed would leave the cruisers in the dust may make this seem like a bad suggestion, but fear not. Cruisers have weapons to counter it. Just as bomber nova's would still catch up and wreck havoc, so will cruiser missiles. And with 5k range, their destructive payload will allow cruiser to launch a missile while they engage their cruise engines to catch up or overtake the Battleship in question.

and then theres those of you who think "this will make all caps run away from me, its unfair that it can reach any base it wants and dock safely".
Well, your only "loss" is your blue message. And at this point we've reached a RP standpoint. A battleship captain should NEVER endanger his ship, nor his crew if it is avoidable. From a roleplay standpoint, a fleeing battleship is a "winning" battleship, as repairing and training new crewmembers would cost astronomical amounts of money, not to mention the emotional price the death of your crewmate puts on you.

Now discuss. And keep it clean.
Until such time as we have jump drives.. leave it.

The way I see it, they already don't have a thruster(battleships), let them have their cruise.

You won't need more bombers, the bombers have thrusters of 200m/s - 10m isn't gonna make a huge difference, plus they have cruise and can nudge you. 10m/s faster - takes 100 seconds to get 1k away, and you're still in range. To escape Novas, you'd need to be 4k+ away, which takes more than five minutes, by which time you're dead anyway.

I think there is a problem, but I don't think that this is the solution. I do think however that speeds for other ships should be changed(faster LF/HF, slower gunboats).
jumpdrives is scheduled with the upcoming patch as far as i know. This is why i want to discuss this now

Yes bombers has thrusters, but unlike impulse, those thrusters cant go on forever. The difference this would make is that as a battleship, you can move faster then any other snub during battles, short of the OORP Camera ship.

And unlike the current situation where 35k of space is all thats needed for 2 bombers to tear apart a CAU 8 Libby Dread. Well, like i stated, i believe this would make things more interesting.

Please do take note that such changes would not happen now, the earliest they could be implemented is in 4.87, if the idea is not totally scrapped.
I don't like that idea. It might get abuseable.

But what about making the hyperjumpdrives cheaper for heavy BS's?
So they'll need less H-Fuel, Mox, Oil (or whatever is needed.)
' Wrote:jumpdrives is scheduled with the upcoming patch as far as i know. This is why i want to discuss this now

Yes bombers has thrusters, but unlike impulse, those thrusters cant go on forever. The difference this would make is that as a battleship, you can move faster then any other snub during battles, short of the OORP Camera ship.

And unlike the current situation where 35k of space is all thats needed for 2 bombers to tear apart a CAU 8 Libby Dread. Well, like i stated, i believe this would make things more interesting.

Please do take note that such changes would not happen now, the earliest they could be implemented is in 4.87, if the idea is not totally scrapped.

Jumpdrives are not going to be the balancing factor you wish them to be.

Thruster regen is so high that it is basically infinite, and sliding can do the same easily. Why do you need to move faster, if you can't dodge or take part anyway?

35k of space? Surely not that far?

4.87 is soon.. so it would be happening now?
I like your idea.

Powerful engines should make the cap fast. Also somehow increase the mass of it so its not that easy to turret steer (Which is still ridiculously stupid thing to have) and that acceleration and decceleration takes TIME and reflects a lil bit of the ship size and mass on it.

Point taken Prysin, good one.
I guess screw cruisers right? ...jk, but with a serious undertone.....

Such speed on battleships would make cruisers useless...
No thanks.

Besides, the new update is coming out soon and we'll have jump-drives and such.

I mean, I like what we have right now. Don't see an issue, really..
210 impulse for battleships? Not a wise idea at all, it's wrong in so many ways (balance), that I'll just use a TL;DR version:

Not a wise idea. Battleships will be completely overpowered. (and I fly only cruisers and battleships, lately)
Even lack of Cruise speed won't make up for their OPness.

And yes, how much time it will take to, for example, reach Alpha from Kappa? Or how much time Order Ossies will have to spend moving around?
' Wrote:No thanks.

Besides, the new update is coming out soon and we'll have jump-drives and such.

I mean, I like what we have right now. Don't see an issue, really..

This.

Wait for the update and then see what you think.

Any changes made in the way Caps work right now would unbalance the mod...again. (more? meh, whatever.)

Caps work fine just as they are right now, as long as the people in control of them have their heads on the right way around and don't just rush into situations with all guns firing, it's all good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4