Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Notch is making space-Minecraft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote from http://www.rockpapershotgun.com:

Markus Persson'€™s put a name and a description to the Elite-inspired space game he'€™s been teasing Twitter about recently, and it'€™s pretty obvious this is going to be a full-fat endeavour rather than another micro-project. 0x10c is the game'€™s name, how it'€™s pronounced is anyone'€™s guess but I'€™m gonna go with '€˜Derek'€™. It'€™s a reference to a programming error that caused space travellers (from an alternate 1988 where the space race hadn'€™t ended) going into deep sleep to stay under for billions of years.

Quoth Derek'€™s website, '€œIt'€™s now the year 281 474 976 712 644 AD, and the first lost people are starting to wake up to a universe on the brink of extinction, with all remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy.'€

0x10c appears to be two-handed offering: in one, space travel, combat, mining, looting, planet-hopping and a multiverse economy. In the other, an in-game computer with '€œa fully functioning emulated 16 bit CPU that can be used to control your entire ship, or just to play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish.'€ Which, if you squint, makes this boldly going where no Notch has gone before a little like Minecraft after all. The adventure element twinned with the no-rules player agency element, in this case virtual programming.

You can find some specs and sample code for said CPU, known as the DCPU-16 here, if you'€™re of a mind to.

There are no screenshots, release dates or suchlike for the game itself available yet, but a more comprehensive list of planned featres and discussion on how the emulated CPU works is over on 0x10c'€™s site.

Just one more thing. There will be a multiplayer aspect to this, set with one persistent, connected '€˜multiverse'€™ which in turn means '€œThe cost of the game is still undecided, but it'€™s likely there will be a monthly fee for joining the Multiverse as we are going to emulate all computers and physics even when players aren'€™t logged in. Single player won'€™t have any recurring fees.'€

http://0x10c.com/
I just made a *horrible* mess in my underwear...

I mean, I can turn programming knowledge into gaming experience... AWESOME!!
so let me get this straight

notch is promising us a bunch of cool stuff that we'll never get

like in minecraft

where we bought it and never got half the stuff he promised
If this really is similar to minecraft; FF's gonna be so mad.:P
seamless planet landings, mining, trading,looting
drool
Eve online with less spreadsheet, less scale, and more sandbox? Cool.
This game is going to be intense, I can not wait.
Notch is doing it again!
Notch.

It will be kewl.
RP>features

*chalangeacceptedface*
Pages: 1 2