Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Official Factions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Okay so I'm looking at a radical redesign of the official factions system, more power, more responsibility, more checks and balances. Basically the idea is to streamline how easy it is for factions to lose status and thusly open up room for a replacement. This means greater oversight from the Admin team, issue is the current system offers very little oversight, for very little rewards and oft times official status isn't worth the hassle of having me on your case.

So what would folks like to see official factions get, what could official factions do that would make an Admin in their ear more palatable. What would make official status actually worth having?
I'd say open up the slots for officaldom to 3 for factions that make sense (Zoners, Corsairs, Outcasts).

Beyond that, really nothing I personally can think of.

Btw.

Inb4 Cam "KILL OFFICAL FACTION RIGHTS" sermons.
Well, I'm going to jump in the wicker man here.

This is going to be pretty radical, particularly with faction players that didn't play back in those times, but here goes.

I suggest rolling things back on the official factions thing. Remove the only one faction per ID rule and remove the Faction Rights.

It's drastic but I've always felt it shoulda gone back to before the implementation of the two rules. Currently, I guess, we can use the activity system over guard systems until perhaps a solution can be made on whether another faction, deemed more then sufficient can claim the guard system as their own if the current owner is no longer up to standards made for this purpose. Or even actually bringing the ownership of systems into question as a new era of real estate is awakening (player bases).
Outsider looking in, I do not like official factions at all. My experience is that official factions use their status as a way to avoid interaction with unofficials. If they were weak and impotent like the unofficials, they would be better company.

Some different stuff that Indies cant get their hands on? I know its sound unfair.
Give them the right to attack Transports with caps in thier home systems along with Guard systems. This does not mean Pirate for Unlawful Caps, but a hessien for example could attack a RM transport as it is enemy.
Now giving Official factions any rights to "limit" indies i am totally against. IE give them something, but do not take away from Indies.
' Wrote:Some different stuff that Indies cant get their hands on? I know its sound unfair.

This i dis-agree with. No more of this "special" gear crap. Everything in game should be open to all. Not just official factions.
' Wrote:Outsider looking in, I do not like official factions at all. My experience is that official factions use their status as a way to avoid interaction with unofficials. If they were weak and impotent like the unofficials, they would be better company.

I've seen this. I've also seen officials who welcome indies in as if they were absolutely their best friends (LR and BAF come to mind, I'm sure there are others who I just have not encountered). I think some officials need an attitude change, rather than a rules overhaul because no rules change will really fix this.

One issue that does come to mind with the current faction system is this:

The one faction per ID is a little tough in some cases. Junkers for example. The congress does a good job from what I have seen, but what if a group wanted to create a less legitimate Junker clan. They should have to give up a chance at gaining these new "more worthwhile" faction rights because the Congress was first? First may mean more experience but not necessarily better.

Note, I used the above example because the Congress does do quite a good job. No reason for them to be replaced. But various groups filling a different niche with the same ID are possible.

Other than that Del, what exactly do you have in mind for more stringent requirements and more rights? I'd be cautious of pushing indies too far out the door of feeling like they have a role on the server besides a floating gun.
Quote:Outsider looking in, I do not like official factions at all. My experience is that official factions use their status as a way to avoid interaction with unofficials. If they were weak and impotent like the unofficials, they would be better company.

It's not that.

It's that they act like they're better just because they have two brackets with some letters in between.

Quote:Inb4 Cam "KILL OFFICAL FACTION RIGHTS" sermons.

Factions In The Hands of an Angry Indy...

Eh.

I could do with more than 1 faction per ID.

The rights are eh but more checks and balances would be lovely. Current system + more oversight + more checks/balances would be perfect.

Quote:I've also seen officials who welcome indies in as if they were absolutely their best friends (LR and BAF come to mind, I'm sure there are others who I just have not encountered).

Does happen.

Experienced BAF| first hand.

GRN| moderately as well.

It is good to see, they aren't really better, they're just afforded rights for some reason for working together with people.

I'm sure I could come up with 3 or 4 different personallities, put them all on this forum and make my own faction.

Maybe I already have =P
' Wrote:It's not that.

It's that they act like they're better just because they have two brackets with some letters in between.
Factions In The Hands of an Angry Indy...

Eh.

I could do with more than 1 faction per ID.

The rights are eh but more checks and balances would be lovely. Current system + more oversight + more checks/balances would be perfect.

Does happen.

Experienced BAF| first hand.

GRN| moderately as well.

It is good to see, they aren't really better, they're just afforded rights for some reason for working together with people.

I'm sure I could come up with 3 or 4 different personallities, put them all on this forum and make my own faction.

Maybe I already have =P

I agree here. Alot of factions are just "elitest" groups that are not elite. Most will take in friends, and turn away those they dislike. Nothing to do with RP at all. For example a certain group i met in game RP'd with my trader. After encounter they said thx for great RP, and asked if i wanted to join them. Then i mentioned who i was, and BAM! "oh no's we do not want you". Despite them loving my RP 30 seconds earlier. So why give these groups more then others? Just because they have more friends in game?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19