Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Uncapping FPS in Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
He wants to increase it.
' Wrote:AMD graphics drivers were always pretty bad. Can you tell me what your full screen application settings are all set to?

Here are the 3D app settings: 1, 2

And here the Desktop properties: 3

Hope I did that right :S
Hmm, looks like it should work. Is there anything about locking frame rate to a certain amount in any of the other sections? I seem to remember something like that in catalyst. If not I'd say it's probably just AMD drivers being awkward as usual.
' Wrote:Hmm, looks like it should work. Is there anything about locking frame rate to a certain amount in any of the other sections? I seem to remember something like that in catalyst. If not I'd say it's probably just AMD drivers being awkward as usual.

Well...I can't find such an option anywhere. There are a few options, that sound like it could help. But everything there does not apply on Freelancer for some reason. Whatever I do, my FPS are stuck to 60. :/
' Wrote:You will ruin your gpu if you go over 60
if you run at max fps your gpu will work always at 99% meaning more heat, more power, less life time
if you run at 60 fps your gpu will work around 30-50%, less heat, less power, more life time

it's your choice

That's bollocks, hello.
' Wrote:That's bollocks, hello.
Not entirely. It shouldn't impact lifetime much though, and like I said, Freelancer doesn't go above 180 fps anyway so it uses nowhere near that much of your GPU.
' Wrote:Mine stops at 75 FPS with my Ati 5770.

Not uncapped or anything

:L
Because v-sync, syncs with your monitor refresh rate

' Wrote:Freelancer seems to have a hard cap at 180 fps anyway. Nothing I do will increase it beyond that even though my system is capable of more.
60 or 180 no difference sadly =/

' Wrote:That's bollocks, hello.
Fan dies, your gpu dies.

Afterall you can go ahead and run FL more than 60 frames per second but there won't be any difference. Somewhere in Ati Catacylsm should be an option where you can change it.
' Wrote:Because v-sync, syncs with your monitor refresh rate
60 or 180 no difference sadly =/
Fan dies, your gpu dies.

Afterall you can go ahead and run FL more than 60 frames per second but there won't be any difference. Somewhere in Ati Catacylsm should be an option where you can change it.

There is a significant difference if you have 60 or 160 FPS. At least for me. My mouse is way more receptive and more accurate with 160 FPS, V-Sync turned off. Without those high FPS and with V-Sync my mouse is just sliding over the screen and it's very, very hard to aim. I am also using a program, Radeon Pro, that should compensate this but doesn't, cause it doesn't recognize the FL 4.86 exe for some reason I don't know.
This is a known problem, VSync is forced on in Freelancer regardless of driver settings. And it's an issue because it causes severe mouselag. Most people recomment the ATI Tray Tools to workaround this issue, but it's limited: Once you ALT+TAB out of Freelancer, FPS are locked again.

I want to gravedig this, because I found a program that completely solves this issue even better than ATI Tray Tools.
The problem that fixes this issue is called "RadeonPro": http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/

Install it, add the Freelancer.exe (the Disco one) to the list, go to advanced settings, tick "agressive API detection" and force VSync off.

Now you can play Freelancer without mouselag and even with ALT+Tabbing.
isnt going over 180 fps considerend cheating?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7