Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: BBCode Formatting buttons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've noticed that the shortcuts for bold and italics and whatnot do not work the way I remember them working a while back; or on any other forum software I've used in recent memory.

Selecting text and hitting the button does not format the selected text, but instead brings up the window to input text to be formatted. I seem to remember it not acting like this when I formatted my posts in the past.

Has it been changed for a reason, or is it a bug?
Either way, it'd be nice for it to be reverted back to the old, useful, working order.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: It occurred to me that it might be a local problem; I'm using Chrome, but I've been using Chrome for years now, so I can't imagine it's a browser issue.
Same with Fox here- same observations etc- I just do it manually.
For me, both the opening and closing codes appear at once, not one at a time. Happens on Firefox ans ny phone. Sometimes.

:/
' Wrote:For me, both the opening and closing codes appear at once, not one at a time. Happens on Firefox ans ny phone. Sometimes.

:/
For me, too.
Any response on this?
Quote:For me, both the opening and closing codes appear at once, not one at a time. Happens on Firefox ans ny phone. Sometimes.

Yeah happens the same to me.
This issue is caused both by old forum software and quirks in how different browsers handle their javascript. By now however, it's more an old forum software issue. I remember coding a bbcode inserter a few years ago, ran into the same kind of cross browser problems. Nowadays these can be fixed by smarter coding.

The basic gist of how it applies to you guys on disco is:
- in IE the buttons work as expected
- in Firefox, Opera and Chrome the buttons insert both the opening and closing tag at the cursor position at the same time
- you can still however select a part of text in all those browsers, and the selected text will be wrapped by your bbcode tags

This would probably become a non issue if we upgraded our forum, but that's easier said than done at this time.
' Wrote:- you can still however select a part of text in all those browsers, and the selected text will be wrapped by your bbcode tags

It doesn't do that, that's my problem.
If I select text and hit, say, the bold button, it comes up with the dialogue to enter text to be bolded.
DELETE
Well, I'm running latest Chrome (hard not to) so I dunno
Pages: 1 2