Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Moderator Application
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is going to seem like a hugely cheap idea, but I shall proceed regardless. Heh, spent more time on this today than I have actually enjoying my holiday. Anyways:

I daresay by now, most people have seen that there's places open on the moderation team. I'm considering applying. I reckon I will. I have, so far, spent an hour or so on my application, and am by no means happy with it, so I would like to ask you, the community, to help me out. If you fancy helping, here's how:

DO
  • Comment if you think I'd make a good mod or not, and why. Self-analysis is bias.
  • Mention things about me that you think are relevant for an application.
  • Ask relevant questions. I'll probably not answer here, but they'll give me food for thought.
DON'T
  • Tell me what you want to see in a mod. I want to write an honest application, not make myself seem perfect, 'cos trust me, I'm not
Feel free to speak your mind, good or bad about me, and I'll not say a word about it outside this thread, so long as it's relevant and not outright condescending.
Well, to be fair, whenever I see your avatar, I expect the post to be more than three words. You seem to address the situation with a fair level of maturity without having to completely disregard humor, which imho is a good thing to have.

I'd say you'd make a good moderator especially for flood threads. Seeing the difference between humor, light or dark, and trolling is essential there.
All I've got to say is, that creating this thread already shows, that you're taking it serious.

(Off-topic question: Will there actually be a voting from the community?)
Not knowing you personally is a bit of a negative aspect when saying whether you'd be a good or a bad moderator, so I guess I can just say on what's in your post.

Mod's need to be able to give out info(I know you said not to say what mod's should be but hold with it!), your Do and Don't sections made the info easy to get without a long winded speech causing me to do a face dive into my desk while reading it.
So with that I'd say from what I can see your able to give out Information in a 'condensed and concise bases'.

That and your open to new ideas, since you opened up a post on possible advise, which is a good nature to have in any field.

Any who good luck, I'll be rooting for you - purely since you didn't make me end up desk diving!
' Wrote:All I've got to say is, that creating this thread already shows, that you're taking it serious.

(Off-topic question: Will there actually be a voting from the community?)

I doubt so. These kind of decisions are usually taken by the admins all alone. Even us mods aren't involved in.
I'm pretty sure if they wanted it to make it like that very old sort of voting thing where you could propose or endorse somebody for admin (which in the end resulted into mods becoming admins so it's not like it changed much or the choices they were being proposed didn't fit their "requirements") it would have been such already.
' Wrote:Well, to be fair, whenever I see your avatar, I expect the post to be more than three words. [...]
One of the points I've highlighted in my application is that I try to put thought into every post I make, and I'm glad that that's showing through.
' Wrote:[...] You seem to address the situation with a fair level of maturity without having to completely disregard humor, [...]
Maturity's hard to judge, and I'm a bit wary of using words such as 'mature', 'fair' or 'impartial' for that very reason. However, humour's not a natural talent of mine, the bonus of forum posts is I have time to think of witty remarks.
' Wrote:All I've got to say is, that creating this thread already shows, that you're taking it serious. [...]
I'd like to think that everyone who applies and actually means it takes it seriously, but thanks for the vote of confidence regardless. I'm just being cheeky and involving the community. (That's a good quality here, right?)
' Wrote:[...] your Do and Don't sections made the info easy to get without a long winded speech causing me to do a face dive into my desk while reading it.
So with that I'd say from what I can see your able to give out Information in a 'condensed and concise bases'. [...]
I've been known to spam walls of text, and my application currently looks like Hadrian himself commissioned it, so thanks for saving me from a potential blunder.
' Wrote:[...] That and your open to new ideas, since you opened up a post on possible advise, which is a good nature to have in any field.
I'm always looking to better myself, and always view criticism and ideas as pointers to do just that. Not yet added that one in though, another good idea, thanks.

Oh, and: Bump:D
OK, well, my application to become a moderator is in, for better or for worse. However I would still like any feedback from you guys. As I said earlier, I'm always open to criticism and aim for self improvement, so if you feel like it, fire away.
' Wrote:I'€™ve given a lot of thought to this, a hope that that'€™s apparent on reading. At first I was reluctant to apply, and have considered it in great detail, but the impending deadline has rushed my decision. I also apologise for the wall of text, but there's a large number of things I wanted to mention, and I can't seem to condense it further without missing bits off. Now, without further ado:

Forum Name:
Spirit!
Name: James

I don'€™t consider being a moderator a privilege, and I see nothing to gain personally from it. I do however see it as a responsibility to help the community as a whole and to guide them in a way that leads to a more friendly and harmonious environment for all. Even before considering becoming a moderator, I viewed every post I made with the responsibility not to offend anyone reading it, and to word it as such. A responsibility I believe I have not slipped up on, and shall continue to uphold.

I doubt any of the existing moderation or administrative team know me personally, and I hope that personal views to not come into play when applicants are considered. I instead hope that what I can show as a person through any follow-up that may occur will show you that I take care in what I say, and pride that I am a friendly person and not only take others'€™ views into account, but that I'€™m not adverse to standing up for what is right and doing what needs to be done should someone be acting in a way that offends someone else.

As far as moderation experience goes, I have no technical experience on a forum, and only a little experience of the job at all. As far as technical experience goes, however, I am a quick learner and tend to get to grips with rapidly. As for moderation experience, it seems rather pointless to mention what I have done, as anyone could say anything here with little to no proof. However I shall regardless, purely for the sake of record, that I was once an admin in a runescape clan, and am currently in the process of reviving said clan. (Don'€™t laugh here, yes, I like runescape, nothing wrong with that!) All I really did was act as a person to step in and stop arguments and people from offending or insulting others by simply telling them off and punishing the few who refused to acknowledge what they did was wrong. As for now, there'€™s no-one actually in the clan, but once I'€™m back from my holiday, it'€™ll start up again being a community based group of people, focusing of friendship and camaraderie as opposed to any in-game aspects.

As for community involvement, I may not be a long-serving faction member, or indeed terribly active in-game at all over my time here. Recently however, I have joined my first few factions and am beginning to enjoy yet another aspect of the game. I have (despite a few spells of total inactivity due to RL) always been an active member of the forums, and since my return a few months ago, I can safely say not a single day has gone by that I have not checked in on the forums. I am pretty much always available and should I be accepted, will ensure every thread I look at will be viewed as both player and moderator, keeping an eye out for trouble, but not becoming involved where it'€™s not needed.

I am a native English speaker, and am by no means a slouch when it comes to my language. (Heil Hyphen and all that) With the internet, and more relevantly, these forums, having people from many languages using English, I make sure my writing is as correct as possible to avoid confused meanings and mis-interpretations. I am very good at explaining things in plain English, and patient with those who don't understand.

You may have noticed a thread I made for help on this application, and I hope that my efforts in that don'€™t go against me. If anything, I hope it acts as a slight show of my seriousness and commitment to this.

Finally, and to sum up, I'll just say I'm a mature, fair and thoughtful person, who would like the opportunity to show this to you. I expect this application is not the only part of the process, and hope I can demonstrate these qualities over the next step(s) whatever it/they may be.