Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: This seems like common sense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/...20402112828.htm

I'd kinda like to see the results of the study in more detail, rather than this short version of it. It seems like the findings would have been fairly obvious overall, as I know that I aim like crap if I'm in an eye-popping rage... So that element of it doesn't really surprise me to much.

The main thrust of the study seems to have been on the idea of transfer between real life agression and gamer-rage... But I would be extremely interested to see the facts and figures on exactly how much being angry makes you fail at gaming, rather than a study about that game/real life transfer.
I've seen a couple of these types of studies from awhile ago (had to do a speech on it), I'm not sure one can accurately measure such a thing. I think it has to do entirely with the person.

All the studies yielded different results.

' Wrote:I've seen a couple of these types of studies from awhile ago (had to do a speech on it), I'm not sure one can accurately measure such a thing. I think it has to do entirely with the person.

All the studies yielded different results.

Pretty much this. Personality and psyche are very complex things, sure games can influence a person however the input from this influence can be radically different on a case to case basis. Taking the average of a large group is still just guess-work as its impossible to truly study the entire gaming community as the scale is just too large.
Agreeing with above statements. It is too comlplex and widely spread to conduct an accurate study on this topic, imo. Either way, there certainly needs to be differentiated and appraised. All these politicians declaring games a thing frowned upon and a treat for the society are simply ignorant and have not a clue about it at all.
They aren't researching mathematical formulas on how much rage affects gaming ability, but more researching tendencies and mental activities related to playing violent video games. An angry and inconsiderate gamer, as they described, generally does not do well at video games. This doesn't mean they never will, or the amount they are angry affects how well they do playing that game that day, but in how players of an angry or inconsiderate nature/personality does at these video games. And their results are far from surprising. If you're an angry and inconsiderate gamer, who is going to work with you, not to mention you yourself probably wouldn't work with anyone else.. And being successful = teamwork, which ties in with their results of successful gamers being calm, technically proficient, and strategically-thinking.
It's definitely a complex issue.

For instance, I've seen some of these studies, but I've never seen one that addressed the potential for games to relief stress, you know be an outlet for aggression so it isn't aimed at other people. Much like playing sports, hitting a punching bag, going out for a drink, a good night with GF......

Anyway, what would be interesting to see is the differences in games that relieve or add to stress. I'd be willing to say when little in terms of game-progression or wealth is on the line, games generally are more relaxing and a way to vent. Notice how everyone is generally in good spirits after a good RM vs LN cap brawl or lately the Corsair-BAF romps. It was fun, exciting all anyone lost was some ammo and regens if they died. Contrast the constant QQ of trader-pirate interactions where the outcome directly affects how well those involved can advance their in-game worth. The first is a stress-reliever, if an intense one and the second is stressor.

That said, individual personality and the ability to understand it's just a game makes a big difference too.
I was reading something the other day about the positive changes. If you play competitive multiplayer stuff (eg fps, fightans, even FL i guess), your decision-making and information processing gets improved significantly. Which makes a lot of sense. And is cooler than being mad or not.
' Wrote:They aren't researching mathematical formulas on how much rage affects gaming ability, but more researching tendencies and mental activities related to playing violent video games. An angry and inconsiderate gamer, as they described, generally does not do well at video games. This doesn't mean they never will, or the amount they are angry affects how well they do playing that game that day, but in how players of an angry or inconsiderate nature/personality does at these video games. And their results are far from surprising. If you're an angry and inconsiderate gamer, who is going to work with you, not to mention you yourself probably wouldn't work with anyone else.. And being successful = teamwork, which ties in with their results of successful gamers being calm, technically proficient, and strategically-thinking.

That would entirely depend on the game, genre, and the people in which you are playing with. :mellow:
I still do not think you could measure such a thing. I know from past experience, playing in a gamesbattle league for console, you hear a lot of screaming, yelling at teammates and cursing. Everyone also works together and kills everything. If you were to go into plain matchmaking with the same attitude, you will get a completely different experience. Depends on the person and grouping of personalities. Then you also have skills, in which you have teams mix and match to find that perfect combination of every asset.