Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Base Balance - A suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I'm big on not complaining about something unless I can make a suggestion to improve that which I am complaining about. My complaint is regarding player bases. On one hand - they should take a large force to destroy and on the other hand they shouldn't be impossible to destroy. I'm also of the mind that you shouldn't be able to destroy a base by shooting it every 15 minutes with a bunch of ships as to avoid the shields.

So my suggestion!

The basis for my suggestion is the creation of a new type of shield, exclusively for player bases and new siege weapons. The new shields would take very little damage from standard weaponry. They would be more vulnerable to the siege weaponry. As far as siege weaponry goes, I'd say all of the caps and bombers should be able to mount them.

Next thing would be to have the shields online at all times - only using fuel to regenerate. That way there is none of this shooting the station with a bunch of ships every 15 minutes.

Next (if possible) would be to make it so no transport can dock while the shields are regenerating. Clearly the station is under siege and should not lower its shields (making itself very vulnerable) for anything short of a miracle.

Lot of work? I'm not sure. Anyways, thoughts, opinions, suggestions to improve the suggestion. Etc etc. Let's help the dev team instead of just whining!
Idea approved. But siege weaponry? No need for it. Regenaration should be high enough to neglect low damage weapons, and low enough to be vulnerable to few caps, in my opinion.
I agree with this. But adding siege weapons will bring more diversity in a mod, which, let's face it, could be useful. Having caps with special siege roles and those who are there to protect them will be quite nice, IMO.
Keep in mind that siege weapons could just be a type. Like laser or particle. The devs could simple make capital ship weaponry siege weapons themselves.

I'm not sure what type of weapons they are now regarding how much damage they do to the three shield types.
A vulnerable but regenerating shield, basically what all ships have but for bases, sounds pretty neat. I think the high-damage-slow-fire weaps of caps (forward guns, mortars, etc, cerbs not) could fall into the category of siege weapons.
KABOOM gun on heavy slot, 100ms, 2.999.999 damage, a lot of energy. just for base shooting.
so, you want to make all time shields? and you want them to be blown by only special weapon that can be used on bombers and caps? that sounds good. but this sounds not like it should be. Right now shield system is good. with new changes about 1% damage base can be killed with big force.
This idea maybe good and realistic, but its not going to work out as you think. at least without changes
The idea itself is not bad, but then the speed of shield regeneration should depend on the amount of fuel in hold.

Let's say shield uses 0,1%(0,2% for h-fuel, and rounded up of course) of the fuel present in the cargo hold, but at least one unit. Then the amount of shield points should be determined by the amount of fuel used, the amount of consumed units multiplied with a certain number. Well fueled stations regenerate fast, but consume more fuel at the beggining. During the assault shield regen would slow down, but the fuel cost would decrease as well.

After all it would depend on the attacking force how long it takes to reach the point where damage input equals then becomes bigger than shield regen rate. And it would depend on the suppliers how much can they enlongen it in order to survive.

Brainstorming a little, tell me if anyhting wrong with this.
Sounds good.

You could just add a forward gun to every cap, which will then count as siege weapon; for bombers it would just be the SNAC or the Nova.

Technically this idea is fairly easy to implement but I'm not sure what advantages it brings. Could you clarify some of these please.
Pages: 1 2