Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: is Colonial at war with Bretonia?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was in an HMS gunboat and got engaged by a couple of SCRA bombers, and a 3rd Colonial Republic bomber. It took me a minute to figure out the colonial was shooting at me because I dont have them hostile.

I looked at the ID text and it says two relevant things: they can demand-engage from factions they are at war with, and they cannot perform any other illegal acts. Engagement without demand seems like its against the spec, but setting that aside, I dont recall Colonial being at war with Bretonia so any kind of engagement would be illegal per item 2.

So that's my question: is Colonial in a state of war with Bretonia?
' Wrote:I was in an HMS gunboat and got engaged by a couple of SCRA bombers, and a 3rd Colonial Republic bomber. It took me a minute to figure out the colonial was shooting at me because I dont have them hostile.

I looked at the ID text and it says two relevant things: they can demand-engage from factions they are at war with, and they cannot perform any other illegal acts. Engagement without demand seems like its against the spec, but setting that aside, I dont recall Colonial being at war with Bretonia so any kind of engagement would be illegal per item 2.

So that's my question: is Colonial in a state of war with Bretonia?

Technically no. Liberty may have tried to get Bretonia to evict the Colonials but it was never at any stage outright hostility.

However, the remnants of =CR= were invited to join the SCRA, and some of them did. By that token, those individuals are aligned Coalition-aligned so it sounds legitimate in this circumstance for them to attack you.

Unfortunately, since the ID was opened, there is no longer any control whatsoever on which factions are diplomatically hostile from the Colonial perspective. The lack of an official Colonial faction would suggest that the ID needs reviewing to prevent this sort of confusion.
' Wrote:Technically no. Liberty may have tried to get Bretonia to evict the Colonials but it was never at any stage outright hostility.

However, the remnants of =CR= were invited to join the SCRA, and some of them did. By that token, those individuals are aligned Coalition-aligned so it sounds legitimate in this circumstance for them to attack you.
If SCRA wants to invite them into the faction, they should be prepared to give out the SCRA IDs. Or don't, and live under the restrictions of the ID you've got. "Legitimate" is the wrong word for what we are talking about here--ID is rules not preference.

The SD guys are remnants of a Colonial Division which came to the SCRA for help and shelter. That's what we've given them. They don't "have" to be given an ID by us. They have their own ships and RP backstory and further information is on the forums. They are a separate entity to the SCRA while being part of the Coalition. There is nothing wrong with what we're doing.
Although, as a note, as soon as Coalition Indie ID's are released, the SD| are most likely switching over to it to prevent this kind of confusion.
' Wrote:So that's my question: is Colonial in a state of war with Bretonia?

No.

' Wrote:The SD guys are remnants of a Colonial Division which came to the SCRA for help and shelter. That's what we've given them. They don't "have" to be given an ID by us. They have their own ships and RP backstory and further information is on the forums. They are a separate entity to the SCRA while being part of the Coalition. There is nothing wrong with what we're doing.

If they fly with a Colonial ID there is a lot wrong with what they were doing, even if they have a seperate backstory. The current 'offical' CR NPC faction backstory is more or less what the =CR= left behind, being at war with the Bretonians and shooting at them is not really a part of that.

Quote:Although, as a note, as soon as Coalition Indie ID's are released, the SD| are most likely switching over to it to prevent this kind of confusion.
That would be good :cool:
Bretonia and Liberty decided to become hostile to the CR. It's fair game if the CR retaliate. Like Haggis pointed out, the SCRA offered shelter to the CR that wanted to continue to play after the disband. There's no problem with it.
The funny thing is, Espada and I were on with a bunch of them in 52 right now. One asked if we could go pew at Rheinland and we said no to be safe. So maybe we were wrong? >.>
' Wrote:Bretonia and Liberty decided to become hostile to the CR. It's fair game if the CR retaliate. Like Haggis pointed out, the SCRA offered shelter to the CR that wanted to continue to play after the disband. There's no problem with it.
You're saying they're at war, and some of them can engage if they feel like it.

Thing about war, it means I can engage each and all CR that I run across. All of them are to be treated as hostile.

So I want to know if the houses are at war, not if some people may have tenous justification to put their RP above the ID they're carrying at any given moment.

' Wrote:You're saying they're at war, and some of them can engage if they feel like it.

Thing about war, it means I can engage each and all CR that I run across. All of them are to be treated as hostile.

So I want to know if the houses are at war, not if some people may have tenous justification to put their RP above the ID they're carrying at any given moment.
In RP, logically, you'd only be attacking Colonials that show hostility due to their current predicament. I'm sure Bretonia would know by now that the CR is a broken up faction.
Pages: 1 2 3 4