Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Space mining!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchang...-143729286.html

Interesting. Stripmine ALL the solar system!
Yeah, this story has been getting passed around, on these forums and elsewhere. Interesting, to say the least.

I can't help but think about Armageddon, though. Flying people up to an asteroid to dig holes in it... Without the nukes and imminent destruction of the Earth, of course.

Alternatively, we could just send up a few Arrastras with mining lasers and shoot space pebbles. I'm sure that works in real life.
' Wrote:I can't help but think about Armageddon, though. Flying people up to an asteroid to dig holes in it... Without the nukes and imminent destruction of the Earth, of course.

Heh, just saw that movie yesterday ...
Well there is a rock up there with more gold on it then all the gold "EVER" mined on earth.
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=358351

But just think what the prices would drop to if they were ever able to get that rock down to earth? Gold/platinum and so on is expensive, because it is rare. Flood the market? no longer rare? price drops.
That would mean PC stuff would get cheaper too, me likey.

Anyway, for now, the costs will be so high that the price of these materials won't influence current ones, or that's what I think.
' Wrote:Well there is a rock up there with more gold on it then all the gold "EVER" mined on earth.
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=358351

But just think what the prices would drop to if they were ever able to get that rock down to earth? Gold/platinum and so on is expensive, because it is rare. Flood the market? no longer rare? price drops.

Gold is a extremely efficient conductor of electricity, it would drop prices for computer components and Space Travel related components.

Agreed prices for stuff would go down, but the overall gain and increase in space travel related things would accelerate development. Or make the rich get richer.
this sounds pretty cool.

they will be bringing gold back to earth from space, then suddenly

"Alright... drop the cargo, you've got loot and I want it now.." :rtfm:
' Wrote:"Alright... drop the cargo, you've got loot and I want it now.." :rtfm:
And there it is, I knew this was coming...
This community's so predictable.

Siriusly though, me likey. Same with most explorations to new places, first it's exploration for exploration's sake, then the economy move in, then we actually get something out of it. Think America's discovery/exploration/colonisation here, this is the next step for repeating that with space.
Prices would normally drop with an increase of supply, but space flight isn't exactly cheap, so either the prices would stay the same, or even rise, to cope with the cost of retrieval, or the companies would go bankrupt because nobody is buying the high prices, nobody does anymore space mining, and we're back to square 1.
Sounds cool, but China will get it all, maybe Russia. We just don't have the funds to place such sophisticated technology up there on a practical scale yet. I can't see them making a profit unless they find a new and very cheap way to deploy such units.

Another factor is, how to get it back down again safely without placing a very large hold in someone's house.

But once all those are figured out, the economy will boom and hopefully Britain could cash in and industrialize good and proper again for resource refining.
Pages: 1 2