Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: so, 5.2 rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ive yet again have to wonder,

whats the real purpose of this rule? Its vague and source of most frikkin sanctions altogether.

Without RP right, well RP definition is nonexistant as we know and all you need to do is /l1 /l2 in two seconds and start shooting.
Srsly, coming in front of a guy - i r shoot you so you better prepare! is kinda silly. Losing shields? Dying in first place quickly cause you are typing such great "RP" response that youll die anyways 20 Minutes later after endless jousting fighting golf club craziness.

Or the fleet battles.
Ey look, our sworn enemies. Well tell me we are going to shoot them otherwise its? ... Somethings lost there.

Space is a dangerous place. Now while I dont have problem with people pretending to be 13 y/o furry girl admiral agent leaders of endless hoards of flying jelly, its kinda weird in PVP.

Especially since there aint any placed out specs on what is enough, how much time you gotta let them have for reply or more.
WE´ve filled sanctions in the past for someone just shooting us to no avail, but I have seen ppl being sanctioned for saying too little. Which is according to the rule still alot isnt it? (compared to NOTHING).

My sole question is , what is the exact and precise purpose of this rule.
PRomote fairplay? Promote play?
Why do police officers NEED to ask / tell criminals they are not welcome. You dont tell, you shoot. By the time you are done typing, well you get the picture.
People think 5.2 is complicated beacuse they overthink it.
It's a basic requirement that you inform the person you plan on shooting why it is you are shooting them.
Sometimes this is as simple as a Corsair coming across an Outcast and shouting to system "OUTCAST! DIE YOU VILE SCUM!"
In the case of Navy shooting pirates, same thing.
However, when you think about maybe a freelancer in a barghest against an LPI, it's not as simple as "DIE YOU FREELANCER!"
The status of the player as a freelancer ID'ed character does not explain the shooting.
What would work is "YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAWS OF LIBERTY PREPARE TO DIE!" or "BARGHEST? ILLEGAL!"
The purpose?
Well, believe it or not some people don't have the laws of Liberty/Bret/Rhein/Kusari memorized.
Some people aren't aware of the complex and changing diplomacy of the various fringe/interstellar factions.
And beacuse this is an RP server.
No, you don;t need to inform that you are shooting.
You must roleplay before engagement.

If there is already battle in progress, then you don't need to do more RP since presumably, it already happended. You must say something so that all sides are informed of you presence.
' Wrote:I dont have problem with people pretending to be 13 y/o furry girl admiral agent leaders of endless hoards of flying jelly

This undermined your argument.

However, you don't need to explicitly tell people you're going to shoot them.
At most, you have to imply it quite obviously, or have previous lines of RP which would reasonably obviously result in a fiery death, i.e. failure to comply to some demand multiple times. After which you say 'okay' and they get shot at.

However, there needs to be this roleplay because there are options and because in roleplay killing someone or risking their life is a big deal. It's why cops don't just see robbers and pull out a bazooka. The mandatory roleplay is so that it's not "I'm definitely right and you need to die now", which is in essence powergaming.

There needs to be the chance of some other course of action, or this game would never be interesting. Some alternative story that makes an encounter individual as opposed to 'just another blue message'.

Criminals are told they're not welcome because it's policy for the police, as is a court case for the aforementioned bazooka capitol punishment. It's for fair play so players have a chance to roleplay something, not just be shot at guaranteeably. It's for play because otherwise in fleet battles or otherwise, we'd all be the same as NPCs.

As Bindo brought up, because there are so many variables, these often need to be discussed with respect to and between players' characters.

So yes, it's an important rule.
' Wrote:People think 5.2 is complicated beacuse they overthink it.
It's a basic requirement that you inform the person you plan on shooting why it is you are shooting them.
Sometimes this is as simple as a Corsair coming across an Outcast and shouting to system "OUTCAST! DIE YOU VILE SCUM!"
In the case of Navy shooting pirates, same thing.
However, when you think about maybe a freelancer in a barghest against an LPI, it's not as simple as "DIE YOU FREELANCER!"
The status of the player as a freelancer ID'ed character does not explain the shooting.
What would work is "YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAWS OF LIBERTY PREPARE TO DIE!" or "BARGHEST? ILLEGAL!"
The purpose?
Well, believe it or not some people don't have the laws of Liberty/Bret/Rhein/Kusari memorized.
Some people aren't aware of the complex and changing diplomacy of the various fringe/interstellar factions.
And beacuse this is an RP server.

Well,
its an arcade game. RP is almost non-existant from what ive seen over my 3 years on the server (granted, fought mostly outcasts so that explains).

Also its bit silly still, RP before engagement.
What if I just go: Isnt it a great day to fly around (towards an outcast) and then shoot him. I mean, I roleplayed my weatherman in cruiser. Its my RP, much like fluffy.

No doubt id get hammered for that.

' Wrote:Why do police officers NEED to ask / tell criminals they are not welcome. You dont tell, you shoot. By the time you are done typing, well you get the picture.

because its not they way it must be done? Do you saw movies? Every policeman never shoots on criminals without a word. and in real life this not happens also. or we would have no prisons and no prisoner - all of them would be shot on sight when they stealed candys from a baby or tryed to steal a car. you know, not good kill people just for that. this called ''murder'', know that word?

this game already have too damn many lolwuts that broking rules that prevent PvP without a reason. and you want them gone? this is no Counter Strike, this is Freelancer - talk was always on first place. if that rule will gone people who really enjoy to chat (like me) would found themself in Connecticut of whole Sirius size. silent PvP not gonna be happened. this is RP server, so RP your attack proporly, not like pewpew Rouge, who just stay on Rochester orbit without doing anything outlaw, on sight just because he pirate by RP.
Isn't RP basically REALISTIC PORTRAYAL of a fictitious character in a fantasy scenario.?

Uhm, you didnt happen to be /l1 /l2 killed by a furry character recently? Sorry Pav but why are you bringing that up? As for 5.2, its there so we dont have players instakilling other players just because "they are red". Instakill, even if justyfied by Rp is always a poor sport. I never saw someone sanctioned for short but clear talk why is he going to shoot.
' Wrote:Uhm, you didnt happen to be /l1 /l2 killed by a furry character recently? Sorry Pav but why are you bringing that up? As for 5.2, its there so we dont have players instakilling other players just because "they are red". Instakill, even if justyfied by Rp is always a poor sport. I never saw someone sanctioned for short but clear talk why is he going to shoot.

So telling me basically, to avoid Q_Q from crybabies?:)also as per my previous post. I didnt play for months. Just curious.
Pre-engagement roleplay when encountering your archenemy faction can be short and /l1, /l2 setmsgs.

But there are a lot of situations that are not clear and in which the diplomacy does not explicitly say "We are enemies and kill each other".

In these situations the attacked party gets a chance to at least find out who attacks and why it is attacked. That's very important as pretty often there are other solutions instead of pvp especially in these "not so clear cut" scenarios.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5