Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Black Spot in the forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a neat little icon just to the left-side of each forum-topic, and they do a bird's-eye view on what's the topic's current posting-status. Here's the general list:

[Image: GeneralIcons.jpg]

But I can't seem to get out of my mind this little enigma, this little wonder which I'd like to call the "Black Spot." Here is the Black Spot in all it's glory:

[Image: BlackSpot.jpg]

Now, untouched (as of yet, anyway) topics aren't exclusive to the Black Spot: I've seen replied topics, HOT replied topics, and locked ones having this same, OMINOUS Black spot. I've tried using the search-function in the forums, but all I've come up with are Star-based black spots, none of which pertain to the forums.

So I searched around the general internet, and this came out via wikipedia:

Quote:The Black Spot is a literary device invented by Robert Louis Stevenson for his novel Treasure Island. In the book, pirates are presented with a "black spot" to officially pronounce a verdict of guilt or judgment. It consists of a circular piece of paper or card, with one side blackened while the other side bears a message and placed in the hand of the accused. It was a source of much fear because it meant the pirate was to be deposed as leader, by force if necessary'€”or else killed outright.

From the moment I've been in these forums, I've always gazed at this Black Spot, wondered "what was the use of this thing, why it existed here in the forums. Was this black spot the sign of any topic that was deemed irredeemable? Did it mean the topic had some form of vulgar, racist, adult content? Was it inappropriate?"

... Please help me in answering the question regarding the mystery that is the "Black Spot", because seriously it scares the hell out of me.
It's the threads you've posted in
:mellow:

Leo.

It's to mark what topics you have posted in...

Edit: Ursus, you damn Ninja.
' Wrote:It's the threads you've posted in
' Wrote::mellow:

Leo.

It's to mark what topics you have posted in...

Edit: Ursus, you damn Ninja.
No. Leo has it right.

We're all frakked.
ADMIN CONSPIRACY OMG!!!!
It's an old style wax seal

[Image: Homemade-wax-seals-part-1.jpg]
OP is epic. Just saying. A great example of people fearing what they do not know.
Watch this thread have the little black dot on it soon... :mellow:
why i'm thinking at something else always...
Pages: 1 2