Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cruise to catch up.....Allowed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Today during an attempted bounty hunt, it was a pirate bomber against me in a gunboat and my frined in a BC. The pirate brought up an interesting question. When the pirate got out of range of our guns, his faster thruster, we turned on our cruise engines to catch up. I know the rule about hitting cruise to run from a fight, but i was not trying to run.

So....Is using cruise engines by cap ships to close distance with bombers and fighters a valid tactic?

If i was wrong, i apologise to the pirate i was hunting. I wasn't running though, and think it should be a valid tactic, or bombers and fighters can always just thrust away from gunboats.
If its wrong then can i report myself?
Nope. Cruising is fleeing. If he didn't engage cruise, then you can't. Not unless you want to flee.
This is the pirate in question:

Yeah I know it's a dumb rule, but it does make sense.
I normally fly a gunboat myself, and it does make sense, that for the extra hull and guns I get, I lose mobility, which means I cannot catch up with a fighter.

Thats why as a BH unless you know your quarry is flying a capship, you should stick to fighters and bombers.

' Wrote:Today during an attempted bounty hunt, it was a pirate bomber against me in a gunboat and my frined in a BC. The pirate brought up an interesting question. When the pirate got out of range of our guns, his faster thruster, we turned on our cruise engines to catch up. I know the rule about hitting cruise to run from a fight, but i was not trying to run.

So....Is using cruise engines by cap ships to close distance with bombers and fighters a valid tactic?

If i was wrong, i apologise to the pirate i was hunting. I wasn't running though, and think it should be a valid tactic, or bombers and fighters can always just thrust away from gunboats.
Now, I'm not going to go digging for quotes here but in the past couple of weeks there has been a lot of talk about "thrusting out of range" and at one point Hood said that you can leave the battle by thrusting away. So if they are running you can chase them right? Wrong, because it has also been stated earlier that if you use cruise to catch up to a thrusting away opponent that YOU are fleeing also. That leaves little ole me rather confused.
The general accepted distance for a retreat was 6k, I believe.

Bombers and fighters are supposed to be able to do hit-and-run potshots on capital ships. The moment they come within range though, they usually hurt.
has been stated many a time, will be stated again in this very thread, not least by me, you cannot engage cruise to catch up with a fighter. End of.
>.<...... how many times do i have to explain this..... According to the rules.... as soon as your cruise fires.... it is considered fleeing and you cant reengage
Absolutely.

But, if you retreat from battle, regardless of where you go or how you do it...

It's retreating.

So if the fighter got outside your scanner range, or even a few k from you...enough time so that it's shields can fully recharge...that fighter is classified as running away.

' Wrote:This old chestnut ... YET AGAIN ... No cruise, end of story.

Hoodlum
Found it, direct quote from an admin. No Cruise.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10