Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Eye Candy Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While I was flying around today on my Smuggler, I got a couple interesting ideas as I always do while flying. You know, it's something I do, my mind runs ahead of the rest of my body all the time, so it's always interesting to see what I've been thinking from time to time...many times I simply have to get this out of my head before I go *poof*. Anyway...

The first idea was that of the nebula's around Sirius. I loaded that new skyspehere mod into Discovery and it makes it look AMAZING! It's actually fun to fly around in space now without the same dull backgrounds always boring me to sleep (trust me, I've fallen asleep in cruise before and flown into planets). However, whenever I pass by a nebulae with these amazing skysphere's illuminating my dreams of flying in space, it looks like a nasty mole on the face of a beautiful woman. Is there anyway that we can update the graphics for these in someway? Make the ice fields rocks maybe rotate in space instead of being static? Maybe when flying through an ice field have moisture build up on the camera like you're actually flying into moisture? Or how about having the nebulae shift while you're flying through it?

The second interesting idea I had was when you might get up from the computer for a second while in space. I know a lot of people don't do this, but when I'm in cruise trying to get to a destination, I might get up for a second from the computer and get something to drink. Maybe when the game detects you're away from the computer after not pressing any buttons or moving the mouse, it starts to slowly rotate around your ship (for those of you who have played Skyrim, you know what I'm talking about). I'm not sure if this is at all possible, but it would add some neat eye candy effects for the game.

That's all I've got for now. I just figured I would share my thoughts with you all.

~Leo
Freelancer indeed needs eye candy... a lot of eye candy.
Although,I'm not sure if there's moisture in absolute zero and vacuum.
But then again,I don't know much about space.
' Wrote:Although,I'm not sure if there's moisture in absolute zero and vacuum.
But then again,I don't know much about space.

Well you are correct about the moisture, but when it lands on the ship, it would warm up and condense inside the ship as condensation from the moisture inside the ship...then again, contrails aren't suppose to exist in space either, but we've got them on our ships if we have the settings setup for it.;)

~Leo
' Wrote:Well you are correct about the moisture, but when it lands on the ship, it would warm up and condense inside the ship as condensation from the moisture inside the ship...then again, contrails aren't suppose to exist in space either, but we've got them on our ships if we have the settings setup for it.;)

~Leo
Point taken.
Also,we totally need dynamic "White Cone"ish lights that follow the cursor.
And thruster colors for different factions (Just like the different supernovas)
' Wrote:Point taken.
Also,we totally need dynamic "White Cone"ish lights that follow the cursor.
And thruster colors for different factions (Just like the different supernovas)

I'm talking some things that are just graphics wise...maybe some quirks that could make Discovery seem a bit more...like a game instead of a mod you know?

...and what do you mean by White Cone lights? I don't follow that part.

~Leo
' Wrote:I'm talking some things that are just graphics wise...maybe some quirks that could make Discovery seem a bit more...like a game instead of a mod you know?

...and what do you mean by White Cone lights? I don't follow that part.

~Leo
When you pimp your ship and set cones (Be that white or LBlue) to the docking lights hardpoints,you can turn them off and on with the "Lights On/Off" key.
When you undock and turn them off and on couple a times,you get a nice light effect on whatever you are facing.
Ah, okay, I got what you mean. That would be pretty neat, yeah. Not sure how you'd implement that in the game, but sounds like it might be cool for if you're searching for something in a dense cloud or something.

~Leo
Would be interesting to see if the mod team would like to take a break from developing new releases and instead focus on a graphics overhaul of Discovery...

Nothing too over the top, of course. After all we wouldn't want to lose players with older hardware.

But small things like better nebulae and maybe HD texture upgrades that are officially supported would be pretty wicked.