Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Leonardo DiCaprio is The Great Gatsby (2012)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Amitabh Bachchan (The biggest actor in Bollywood) is in that film, he's the Indian guy gossiping about Gatsby the Nick. I don't understand how they got an Indian guy to play what I assume is a black man (since there were only about 20 Indians in the US back then, and no mention of them in the book). But I think its a great choice in there since he's a great actor and I think he fits in with the rest of the cast perfectly fine.

I'm just confused about the setting, I'm not sure if its meant to show actual 1920s USA and be historically accurate or if they did the same thing as Leonardo's Romeo and Juliet where they had it take place in a modern setting. Either way I think the film will be interesting.
' Wrote:Amitabh Bachchan (The biggest actor in Bollywood) is in that film, he's the Indian guy gossiping about Gatsby the Nick. I don't understand how they got an Indian guy to play what I assume is a black man (since there were only about 20 Indians in the US back then, and no mention of them in the book). But I think its a great choice in there since he's a great actor and I think he fits in with the rest of the cast perfectly fine.

I'm just confused about the setting, I'm not sure if its meant to show actual 1920s USA and be historically accurate or if they did the same thing as Leonardo's Romeo and Juliet where they had it take place in a modern setting. Either way I think the film will be interesting.

Well, Bachchan is playing the role of Meyer Wolfsheim, who is originally described in the book as a wealthy Jewish businessman with shady connections through whom Gatsby offers a business "gonnegtion" to the narrator. But I guess this is more diverse. Yes, and the film is being shot exclusively in Australia. Go figure!

On the other hand, this looks like a better Daisy than Mia Farrow, we will see...
I liked Luhrmann way more before he made Moulin Rouge. All the casting seems way off from whatever I got from the book.
' Wrote:I'm just confused about the setting, I'm not sure if its meant to show actual 1920s USA and be historically accurate or if they did the same thing as Leonardo's Romeo and Juliet where they had it take place in a modern setting. Either way I think the film will be interesting.
Well, it's crystal clear from the trailer that it's not a modernization in the way that Romeo & Juliet was. This version is obviously set in the 20's. Beyond that, it doesn't need to be historically accurate so long as the base story remains...and since alcohol prohibition is a major theme that helps drive it, the flick can't really be modernized R&J-style.

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about the anachronistic music. That's generally just an early marketing ploy to broaden demographic appeal. As the release date gets closer, I'd expect the coming trailers to contain more era-appropriate tunage.