Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Faction power
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Quote:By a faction, I understand a number of citizens, whether amounting to a majority or a minority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adverse to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community.

- James Madison, Federalist No. 10

In my opinion, official factions have too much power in this community. The power they arrogate and the real estate they claim is disproportionate with the tiny responsibility required of them. The monopoly on NPC IDs stifles roleplay.
  • Remove 1-faction-per-ID rule for non-House factions (corporations, criminals, etc.)
  • Remove FR5, and handle things like OORP docking with rules 1.2 and 6.9
  • Reduce faction input regarding tech decisions
No.

Official factions put a lot of effort into this game to make it enjoyable for everyone else. They also regulate newer players into becoming valued members of this community.

FR5's are needed to maintain the whole actions/consequences thing.

It's especially needed for factions like "criminals". An LR sees an Outcast pirating in it's space, then it docks on a Rogue base. It can't FR5 under your proposal.

So simply, No.
Not enough options. I'm not voting. :rtfm:

I would support raising minimum activity requirements. Those were set in place prior the one faction per ID policy when multiple factions with the same ID could coexist. As it is now there are many idle factions that are preventing more active and responsible factions to rise.
' Wrote:I would support raising minimum activity requirements. Those were set in place prior the one faction per ID policy when multiple factions with the same ID could coexist. As it is now there are many idle factions that are preventing more active and responsible factions to rise.

Though I would agree, I did make a thread about this a while ago. Unfortunately people tend to say "this is a game not a job" while they chase people off the server.
Ye, I agree with your previous thread about how faction power should be proportionate to faction activity.
This is a game, not a job.

Oh wait, I just made several documents to organize my faction stuff, routes, RP, and lore.

On topic, no. Factions should have power over their faction so long as they act within lore of their faction, are kind and friendly, and act accordingly.
I'd happily do away with the one faction rule. Maybe raise the activity requirements to the 2 days mentioned in the other thread. The other stuff? No thank you. Sure, you'll say I'm a part of the privileged cliche (as a trade corp leader - yeah right), but the other stuff serves a genuine purpose.

The admins supervise the factions to ensure they don't step out of line or abuse their powers. If you feel they do, report them for it. See what happens. There's. I would also have written a more comprehensive answer, but well... it's late, and it's "this" thread again.

I'd also like to see some case studies of factions 'arrogating' their power. Just to get an idea of what specifically is being complained about, of course.

' Wrote:Ye, I agree with your previous thread about how faction power should be proportionate to faction activity.
This sounds neat in theory, but then you get all sorts of strange things cropping up. For example, a faction being able to enforce all their rights one month, then losing most of them the next because it's exam season. That'd be a very arbritary way of enforcing who can do what. A good place to start from though - idea has merit, but could do with developing.
Well you could even it out over a 3 month period, for instance, to avoid sudden fluctuations in activity. There must be ways.

Also let's be honest, Disco is de facto governed by a certain level of cronyism and skype conversations/contacts.

I'm not necessarily saying that is bad - much like official factions which I do see a need for in maintaining this community - but dunno maybe it's time to make some adjustments here and there.
Eleminate the one mod per server rule yarrr! oh wait.
' Wrote:

In my opinion, official factions have too much power in this community. The power they arrogate and the real estate they claim is disproportionate with the tiny responsibility required of them. The monopoly on NPC IDs stifles roleplay.
  • Remove 1-faction-per-ID rule for non-House factions (corporations, criminals, etc.)
  • Remove FR5, and handle things like OORP docking with rules 1.2 and 6.9
  • Reduce faction input regarding tech decisions

Wouldn't just save more time to get rid of factions?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8