Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Use a flight stick with profiler software with Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks just thought I might share a tip for using a flight stick with Freelancer. I've been trying to figure this out for years and had yet to come up with a work around. Even when I googled it I couldn't find a solution. But because I own so many flight sticks and have nothing good to use them on I thought I'd give it one more shot.

You need profiler software in order to do this. I'm using Logitech software and a Attack 3 flight stick. I haven't tried it with anything else yet but it should work the same. The first thing you must do is start Freelancer and go into the options menu. If you scroll down the page you'll see pitch up, pitch down, turn left and turn right. You'll need to assign keys to these so you can program them as commands in your profiler software. Try to use key you don't use in the game for me it's keys like page up and page down etc.

Then just go into your profiler software and record a new command using one of the four keys you assigned in the Freelancer option menu. After you record the key make sure you move the repeat slider to fast. Then just label the action and save it. Now all you have to do is assign your new commands to the proper axis controls, you should have four.

Y-Axis forward and back (for going up and down) invert if it works for you.

X-Axis left and right (for turning left and right).

After you do this just program the remainder of your buttons on your flight stick however you see fit and you should be good to go.

Take care everyone....shot you, I mean see you out there.

Oh by the way, you can still use your mouse they work great together.
while i allways liked the more intense feeling of playing with a joystick instead of the mouse / keyboard in simulation games - i daresay that your aim with a joystick is much more difficult than with the mouse. - its a bit like mechwarrior games - more fun with a joystick, but more accurate with a mouse.
I agree, thats why I still use the mouse to aim and my stick to fire and maneuver. Oh and lets not forget the value of having a countermeasure and turbo button at your finger tips when you get jump by two bandit wings. I'm a lefty so it works great for me.
assuming you were ambidextrous enough, this could work well. Joystick in one hand, mouse in the other, keyboard inbetween.

You can set up the joystick for turning left/right and pitching up/down, and depending on how fancy a joystick you have, you could probably set it up for strafing up/down/left/right and put your weapon firing controls and such all on the joystick.

As long as you dont use mouseflight, that allows you to turn with the joystick and aim individually with the mouse at the same time. It'd take a lot of practice to get used to, but it could potentially give you an advantage.
...OR, you could use mouseflight, have the joystick do the pointing, and somehow make the mouse do the strafing- that's what I'd do.
Or - a real kicker - use the mouse for targetting, joystick for strafing and use joystick buttons for stuff like acceleration and engine kill. Strafing up/down/left/right would be easier than ever.
Just installed a cyborg 3D flight stick and profiler software by (Saitek). Now there software allows you to make the flight stick movements behave like a mouse.
Excuse me to bumb this old topic, but instead of a new one, I am wondering, WOuld a profiler work with this stick: Thrustmaster T-flight Stick x. It comes inclusive profiler of its own, but not as a program, which is why I ask.

Specifically for freelancer, but majorly for RP, or dublin race ea, those type of games. I do reckon it could be very fun

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/articl...4333597-000.jpg

I have played games like IL 2 sturmovak 46 (i think) with this stick and it plainly rocks. However, I barelyever use my flight stick, thus am looking for use of it again. Freelancer would be great(not for combat, but for trading.
Unless I can find XP drivers for my old Sidewinder 4, it'll remain collecting dust.